Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 13th, 2024, 11:11pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
People think ya'll are a--holes (Read 3481 times)
Mizta_Nice

rbent member

People think ya'll are a--holes
Feb 6th, 2018, 2:53pm

I was taking my old recumbent (a Cycle Genius CLWB) out to ride around the streets in uptown Dallas, when I stopped at Transit Bicycles on Greenville Avenue. Stopped and had a nice chat with a guy who worked there. A woman was there trying out different gear on her bike when she asked me about my 'bent, and I gave her the usual spiel about how great they are, no aches and pains, etc... when she says, "Your bike sits up a little higher than the other recumbents I've seen, maybe that's why you're not an a--hole like they are."

I laughed, and then tried to figure out which one of ya'll gave her the business.

"Slow and steady wins the race" is what all us slow and steady people say when we don't win the race.
WWW   IP Logged
johnnybent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: People think ya'll are a--holes
Reply #1 - Feb 6th, 2018, 4:19pm

So many to choose from.

Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #2 - Feb 6th, 2018, 4:33pm

Most of us aren't made that way, we have it forced upon us.

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV a
Email   IP Logged
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - Feb 6th, 2018, 8:44pm

First, I’d like to know the character of the woman before I give any weight to her opinion.  Then, I’d like to read the actual conversations she’s had with the bent riders, with the riders’ names edited out, before I would want to know who she talked to.  I think that would be VERY revealing.  
Sometimes, their opinions of us are already formed before they speak one word, like this one woman who walked up to me while I was resting at a gas station on the 700.  She:  “Which direction are you going?”  Me: “Why?”  She: “So I don’t go that way and run over you.”  Oftentimes, they will say something nice to make room for something mean:  Another She: “You’re bike is beautiful.”  Me: “Thank you.”  She: “...but I think you’re going to get run over and die.”  True conversations.
Being black, (or anyone with a significant paucity of fellowship), one knows that when you are in a minority erroneous information and purposeful, even institutionalized prejudice, (UCI, the confederate states, and others), cause much of this hatred.  It’s artificial and militates against any desire for a peaceful society.    

"You can't see paradise if you don't pedal!"
T.J. Fowler -- Chicken Run
  IP Logged
Mizta_Nice

rbent member

Reply #4 - Feb 7th, 2018, 7:55pm

I've learned to take all of that stuff in stride, because it's more than made up for by the people who tell me how cool the bike is or how they wish they had one of their own. Every now and then a negative will come out of nowhere and catch me by surprise, like once I was doing a Sufferfest video (they're pretty awesome to ride indoors to) when the caption was complimenting the riders stamina in keeping up. Suddenly, out of nowhere it says on the screen "and congratulations on your refusal to ride a recumbent". Seriously? How rude!

But, like I said, that's not the norm. Even at that bike shop I got 3 compliments, and that wasn't even one of my good recumbents. I am going back there on the Bacchetta to see what they say then!

"Slow and steady wins the race" is what all us slow and steady people say when we don't win the race.
WWW   IP Logged
reever

rbent member

Reply #5 - Feb 7th, 2018, 9:38pm

You know what I think most folks don't know about folks who ride 'bents is that many of us used to ride DFs and were driven to 'bents because of some sort of injury or disability. I think many DFers think we all bailed out of DFdom to cheat in some way. They look down on us from the ivory towers of the UCI and the Tour de France (and, of course, from the towering height of their DFs).

As for drivers, many of them hate bikers of all stripes. Many bikers are jerks who think with just the right set of circumstances they could end up riding on a professional team. They ride aggressively around cars and invent reasons to flip drivers off--especially if they are old and female. Haven't seen many flipping off any Hell's Angels gangs.

My wish is for all wheeled vehicles to co-exist peacefully--especially the human-powered kind. The Senior Olympics gives us the chance to interact in a friendly, civil manner with our DF partners on the road.

It's tough for me not to get into chase mode when a DF comes and blows by me. It's like a Pavlovian response for me.....chase down and kill! But maybe I should just chase down and ride beside the guy for awhile and talk about the weather or compliment him on his bike or something like that to be a goodwill ambassador.

« Last Edit: Feb 7th, 2018, 9:40pm by reever »  

Adults should have fun so kids will want to grow up!

For every mile of road there's two miles of ditch.

I'd rather be sorry for something I did than for something I didn't do.
Email   IP Logged
JimFPU
Five Star Member

RBENT member, now in
Virginia.  I miss
Texas!

Reply #6 - Feb 11th, 2018, 8:19am

Not all of us were brought to bents by injury or disability. The first time I saw one live in 2005, I thought, 'man, I've got to get one of those!'  

Over a decade later, 5 trikes and a Velomobile are in the stable. They are the coolest things ever! Most of the DF guys and gals I ride with don't mind me either, especially when I tell them the Quest weighs in at 80# empty, and I usually have about 10# of gear with me....and I have no problem keeping up with them, and many rides I have to wait for them at turns and I'm rested by the time they get to the stops. There have even been a few that have taken the opportunity ti sit in the Quest. Interestingly enough, now that I think about it, only the girls have done that...not sure why the guys don't want to give it a try, but I suspect they are afraid they will really like it and won't be able to admit it in front of the rest of the group, or they are afraid they won't be able to get out, lol!

'13 Bluevelo carbon Quest QB 74 - The Flaming Eyeball
'12 ICE Sprint X 26

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_cUvLNb9JJ6UAQkw7KYDQw

Store: https://flaming-eyeball-graphics.square.site
WWW   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7 - Feb 12th, 2018, 7:37am

I thought assh__e was my real name for years! Smiley Seems like someone was calling me that pretty often. Takes one to know one is usually my thought. Most of the roadies are all about what they ride, wear, and just bought. I think it is more of a culture click than anything. In there mind they are part of the Tour de France and we are living on the outside. Oh well, I don't have a $10 dollar saddle that costs $350 up my butt! Smiley And then they brag about it. If they treat me nice, I am nice right back. Usually I try to be friendly first. I use to get all pissed off when they snubbed me, but life is too short for that stuff. As Mista_Nice says, I get a lot more that is so cool than I do negative comments. Ride what you want and I'll ride what I want. Be nice and I'll try to be nice. Everyone has bad days.

I get about 15 miles per honey bun!
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #8 - Feb 17th, 2018, 9:29pm

Sounds about right. But i like to think I'm a thingy. not a very nice person is so run of the mill.  I'm special like that.  Smiley

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
mleuck
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #9 - Feb 26th, 2018, 10:09pm

Quote from Mizta_Nice on Feb 6th, 2018, 2:53pm:
I was taking my old recumbent (a Cycle Genius CLWB) out to ride around the streets in uptown Dallas, when I stopped at Transit Bicycles on Greenville Avenue. Stopped and had a nice chat with a guy who worked there. A woman was there trying out different gear on her bike when she asked me about my 'bent, and I gave her the usual spiel about how great they are, no aches and pains, etc... when she says, "Your bike sits up a little higher than the other recumbents I've seen, maybe that's why you're not an a--hole like they are."

I laughed, and then tried to figure out which one of ya'll gave her the business.

I will bet good money they were referring to me, Jay will confirm that if anyone can tick off uprights I can especially last couple of years

Rarely it's deserved most of the time they just don't like someone racing them or leaving them in the dust

IP Logged
MrWizard
Five Star Member

bonus mile sponge

Reply #10 - Feb 28th, 2018, 11:12am

I figured it was you or me ..  

Good company either way  Grin

Quote from mleuck on Feb 26th, 2018, 10:09pm:

I will bet good money they were referring to me, Jay will confirm that if anyone can tick off uprights I can especially last couple of years

Rarely it's deserved most of the time they just don't like someone racing them or leaving them in the dust

Email   IP Logged
mleuck
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #11 - Feb 28th, 2018, 8:58pm

Quote from MrWizard on Feb 28th, 2018, 11:12am:

Fortunately the morons are few and far between, I get a lot more people pacing me and often thank me for the pull

IP Logged
MrWizard
Five Star Member

bonus mile sponge

Reply #12 - Feb 28th, 2018, 9:34pm

Agreed .. I've had mostly positive encounters ..  though I've been accused of having a "motor" or "e-assist" plenty of times.   I keep telling them if I had such a thing I'd be qualified to race in UCI events

Grin

Quote from mleuck on Feb 28th, 2018, 8:58pm:
Quote from MrWizard on Feb 28th, 2018, 11:12am:

Fortunately the morons are few and far between, I get a lot more people pacing me and often thank me for the pull

Email   IP Logged
Rat Rider

Recumbents Across
Texas

Reply #13 - Mar 3rd, 2018, 10:47pm

I have to conclude that anyone who would make that statement to a total stranger is either an idiot, or an expert, or probably both.

Metabike Mystique
Lightning Phantom II
CruzRocket indoor recumbent Zwift trainer
Ranger
Dakota

Need dependable wheels?
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print