Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 16th, 2024, 8:49pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Lookie Lous (Read 500 times)
JimFPU
Five Star Member

RBENT member, now in
Virginia.  I miss
Texas!

Lookie Lous
Feb 28th, 2017, 6:59am

(A thread inspired by discussion on another thread.)

I know there are several here and on BROL that get really upset when car drivers seem to slow way down and follow beside and/or behind us to get a look at our machines, take pics, and want to ask questions. Many people have heard of these 'lay down' bikes, but few have actually seen one. Now that I own a velo, the curiosity is even greater. One will have a difficult time in a velo if you are an introvert.

[There was recent discussion on Facebook (the recumbent trikes page, I believe) that asked if you let people sit on or ride your steed. I do, because I'm a recumbent minister! I'm out to convert those that want to ride in comfort and style!! But this is another discussion, I digress...]

So, as I have done in the past, I'm actually taking some free advice given to me by a member on this board: "Ride your ride." Now I know there will be some who adamantly oppose my opinion, and that is OK, remember it's MY opinion.  

I have decided to no longer worry about Lookie Lous. Idiots are another topic, but the Lookie Lous are mostly harmless. I have long accepted the fact that I'm much slower than any vehicle with a motor; in fact I'm slower than many vehicles without a motor, mostly present company. And I don't even care. I love to ride, and if my pace is not yours then that is fine. My pace is not that of a car. But considering those cars, I have made a conscious decision to no longer care if they follow me for miles at a slow pace. I no longer care if they don't want to go around. I have been on many a ride where they seem to hover behind me, either afraid to pass, just plain curious (and working their phone to try and capture the moment), or something else. I keep an eye on them, but am no longer concerned if I'm slowing them down.  

I have a right to be on the road, and they have an obligation, it is the law in most places, to share the road (not the lane). And you will find me pretty much in the middle of the lane, especially in the velo. (As a side note, I believe I'm right with my Maker, and I have a pretty good life insurance policy, and Kim knows how I feel about all this, and she is good with it.) Now, all that said, I'm still a courteous driver and consider the traffic, especially if I can see a big line of cars behind me and will pull over at my earliest opportunity, but at the same time if someone chooses not to pass me when they can do so safely, then that is on them. I live out in the country, and see many a farm tractor out here...funny how no one really seems to be upset when they get caught behind one of those traveling 15 MPH.  

The biggest benefit for me now: a more enjoyable ride.    

Additionally, now that I have my GoPro on pretty much all of my rides, I'm amazed at how courteous most drivers are. For some reason, people really can see that little camera. One guy on a ride a few weeks ago pointed it out, by commenting to me: "You even got your little GoPro mounted there!" Which also goes against the argument about not being able to be seen on the road....yet another discussion.

'13 Bluevelo carbon Quest QB 74 - The Flaming Eyeball
'12 ICE Sprint X 26

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_cUvLNb9JJ6UAQkw7KYDQw

Store: https://flaming-eyeball-graphics.square.site
WWW   IP Logged
MrWizard
Five Star Member

bonus mile sponge

Re: Lookie Lous
Reply #1 - Feb 28th, 2017, 8:47am

I don't  mind the Lookie Lous ..    They are harmless ..    I'm riding a parade float afterall so its to be expected it will get noticed (i know, noticed? really, and without a flag, who would have thought /sarcasm)         Most of the time they are smiling and waving and its all good,   I've got a giant hashtag on the side of my velo so I often search social media looking for myself and which I can find on occasion  little gems like this http://tinyurl.com/j8tjpb8    

Its the vidiots I have a problem with.   Those that compromise my safety of the safety of others in the process of getting a picture.    This is just as bad as the selfie problems where people are so busy taking pictures of themselves they do stupid things like walk into an open manhole except now they are endangering me too.  Not much I can do about this though except perhaps whine and swap stories on the internet  (did I tell you the one about the woman that followed behind me for 20 miles out of tom bean?)    its an evolutionary problem that only Darwin himself can take care of i'm afraid.  I just wish he'd hurry up about it.

Quote from JimFPU on Feb 28th, 2017, 6:59am:
(A thread inspired by discussion on another thread.)

I know there are several here and on BROL that get really upset when car drivers seem to slow way down and follow beside and/or behind us to get a look at our machines, take pics, and want to ask questions. Many people have heard of these 'lay down' bikes, but few have actually seen one. Now that I own a velo, the curiosity is even greater. One will have a difficult time in a velo if you are an introvert.

[There was recent discussion on Facebook (the recumbent trikes page, I believe) that asked if you let people sit on or ride your steed. I do, because I'm a recumbent minister! I'm out to convert those that want to ride in comfort and style!! But this is another discussion, I digress...]

So, as I have done in the past, I'm actually taking some free advice given to me by a member on this board: "Ride your ride." Now I know there will be some who adamantly oppose my opinion, and that is OK, remember it's MY opinion.

I have decided to no longer worry about Lookie Lous. Idiots are another topic, but the Lookie Lous are mostly harmless. I have long accepted the fact that I'm much slower than any vehicle with a motor; in fact I'm slower than many vehicles without a motor, mostly present company. And I don't even care. I love to ride, and if my pace is not yours then that is fine. My pace is not that of a car. But considering those cars, I have made a conscious decision to no longer care if they follow me for miles at a slow pace. I no longer care if they don't want to go around. I have been on many a ride where they seem to hover behind me, either afraid to pass, just plain curious (and working their phone to try and capture the moment), or something else. I keep an eye on them, but am no longer concerned if I'm slowing them down.

I have a right to be on the road, and they have an obligation, it is the law in most places, to share the road (not the lane). And you will find me pretty much in the middle of the lane, especially in the velo. (As a side note, I believe I'm right with my Maker, and I have a pretty good life insurance policy, and Kim knows how I feel about all this, and she is good with it.) Now, all that said, I'm still a courteous driver and consider the traffic, especially if I can see a big line of cars behind me and will pull over at my earliest opportunity, but at the same time if someone chooses not to pass me when they can do so safely, then that is on them. I live out in the country, and see many a farm tractor out here...funny how no one really seems to be upset when they get caught behind one of those traveling 15 MPH.

The biggest benefit for me now: a more enjoyable ride.  

Additionally, now that I have my GoPro on pretty much all of my rides, I'm amazed at how courteous most drivers are. For some reason, people really can see that little camera. One guy on a ride a few weeks ago pointed it out, by commenting to me: "You even got your little GoPro mounted there!" Which also goes against the argument about not being able to be seen on the road....yet another discussion.

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print