Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 19th, 2024, 11:17am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Waco Wild West, Oct 8 (Read 600 times)
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Waco Wild West, Oct 8
Sep 22nd, 2016, 12:10pm

I did the 100 miler with SquareCorners, last year...  Nice ride, for sure!  I'll probably do it again -- anyone else considering it?   Here's my report from last year -- the first 50 is wonderful, the 2nd 50 was tougher

<<The Waco 100 was a tale of two halves...  the first 50 was easily the most enjoyable 50 miles I've encountered on a rally route -- excellent road surfaces, relatively flat yet scenic terrain, slight tailwind, and some nice downhills to bomb down without long slogs back uphill.  Daniel and I were booking along strong, with almost a 20mph rolling average for the first 50, passing several large packs of DF riders (some of which who didn't seem to appreciate it -  Grin  )   However, we made a couple of early (read: side of the road) bathroom stops in that first 50, plus the rest stops at 28 and 50, which allows some folks to get back ahead of us...  

The second half was a different story, and was more "typical Texas" -- hills, chipseal, and headwind, back to the northeast.  The recumbents gave us a distinct advantage into the wind -- while on the road, not a single rider passed us the last 50 miles (and very few had in the first 50, either), but there were at least 25 miles of chipseal, some tough short climbs, two long ones at ~ mile 80, then 10 miles of not-rollers (i.e., too long to carry any momentum up) before flattening out for the last 10 miles.  But, we rode strong the whole way, continuing to pass riders even on the climbs.  

Rest stops were friendly, and all had bananas, oranges, cookies, PBJ, water, and gatorade.    

>>

Paul

<< Finally done with all that candy from last year's ride and craving some more???
We have it all ready for you on October 8th in downtown Waco!
Deadline to register and be guaranteed your shirt is this Monday, September 26th.

http://wacowildwest100.com/Registration.html

Camping options available in Cameron Park East this year, or set up your RV in Heritage Square parking lot (FYI - there are no hookups available).  Another alternative and affordable option - St Paul's Church - one block from the start and finish - is offering a $30 air conditioned facility complete with breakfast. Contact Will Scheel at will@stpaulswaco.org or 254-753-4501 Spots are limited so book today!

And there is so much going on in Waco that weekend; you definitely don't want to miss out.
Load up your bike and make a weekend of it in Waco!!

SiloBration at Magnolia Market of Fixer Upper Fame
A three-day weekend event! Bring everyone out to the Magnolia Silos Thursday Oct. 6, Friday Oct. 7 and Saturday Oct. 8 for family fun all day long! We'll have a vendor fair where artisans will be selling their unique goods and more. Plus all of our regular food trucks AND a few new ones will be out serving up Waco's best local eats! The bakery, the Market, and Seed + Supply will be open to shop, and all kinds of lawn games will be up and running, plus an incredible Johnnyswim Concert on the Main Stage at the Silos with an appearance by Chip & Joanna Gaines!!  See more at: https://magnoliamarket.com/silobration/#sthash.J9nHqjJ1.dpuf

And after your ride????
One of Cameron Park Zoo's best events.....BREW AT THE ZOO!
Saturday, October 8th from 6:00pm until 11:00pm. Enjoy tasting bars throughout the zoo and cash bars conveniently located near each tasting station. All of your favorite animals will be in their habitats from 6:00 p.m.-8:00 p.m.  Sample up to 20 brews from all over the world from 6 p.m. until 9 p.m.

After 9 p.m., make your way to the Meadows for more beer, food and music.
This event is for adults 21+ only. No one under the age of 21 will be permitted to enter.
Proceeds from Brew at the Zoo help to take care of the animals that call Cameron Park Zoo their home.
For more information, go to http://www.cameronparkzoo.com/specialevents/brew-at-the-zoo/

Feel free to contact us for more information. See you Saturday, October 8th at Heritage Square!!
wacowildwest@gmail.com
254-405-2518

« Last Edit: Sep 22nd, 2016, 12:15pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Re: Waco Wild West, Oct 8
Reply #1 - Oct 6th, 2016, 10:17am

I'm not going to drive down for this one, this year...  going to just do the 60+ mile GDB Airport Ride, instead.

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print