Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 18th, 2024, 5:35pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
TW Bents Cobra (Read 3316 times)
Patti
Five Star Member

rbent member

TW Bents Cobra
Aug 14th, 2016, 10:31am

My boss just gave me A TW Bents Cobra. I have no idea if I will be able to ride it but it unlike the vast majority of bent bikes it is, at the very least, not too tall for me.
I don't know much about it these so,  if anyone has any experience or info, please share.
Jay, did you own one of these at one point?

IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: TW Bents Cobra
Reply #1 - Aug 14th, 2016, 5:05pm

Quote from Patti on Aug 14th, 2016, 10:31am:
My boss just gave me A TW Bents Cobra. I have no idea if I will be able to ride it but it unlike the vast majority of bent bikes it is, at the very least, not too tall for me.
I don't know much about it these so,  if anyone has any experience or info, please share.
Jay, did you own one of these at one point?

Yes, I did own one at one time. Pretty neat little bike. Great for taking on a vacation trip, because it folds into such a small configuration. Fixed bottom bracket front wheel drive beats the heck out of a MBB Cruzbike for rideability, but it's a bear to remove and replace the front wheel, mainly due to the shifting mechanism cable connection for the 3-speed hub. Would be a good idea to practice removing and replacing the front wheel for those times when you will have to deal with flats. The rear wheel is a different story. You don't even have to remove it to change a tube or tire. The bike is not a speed demon, considering it's a low racer, but it's no slouch - I got mine up to 24 mph on the flats. I didn't like the ergonomics of the machine gun style handlebar, so replaced it with a Performer low racer, preying mantis bar. I liked the fact it had 451, instead of 406 wheels. A good tire choice for the bike is Panaracer Minits Lite PT smooth-tread, folding tires. Reasonably priced and lighter than Schwalbe's wire-bead 451 tires.  

Cobra demo video by Rose City Recumbents: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vT3HOGZYCfc

« Last Edit: Aug 14th, 2016, 5:13pm by jayg »  
Email   IP Logged
Patti
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #2 - Aug 14th, 2016, 10:46pm

Thanks Jay!  
It's interesting that you suggested the Panaracer tire. I just purchased a pair of those on Amazon last week. They were intended as a replacement and spare for the Speed, which has an aging Stelvio on the rear. Now I'm thinking they will go on the Cobra and maybe the Speed will get a Durano instead.

IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - Aug 15th, 2016, 9:38am

You're welcome, Patti. Forgot to mention that the factory furnished a high-pressure charging pump for the bike's shock absorber. If you didn't receive that pump with your bike, you'll need one to adjust the shock pressure to the desired ride firmness.

Email   IP Logged
Patti
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #4 - Aug 18th, 2016, 9:52pm

Yes, It has one. Oddly, what it doesn't have is the triple up front. It has only a single ring but still has the front shifter, a cable that doesn't connect to anything, and a derailleur post with no front derailleur. Looks like it is going to need some restoration.

IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #5 - Aug 19th, 2016, 8:38am

Quote from Patti on Aug 18th, 2016, 9:52pm:
Yes, It has one. Oddly, what it doesn't have is the triple up front. It has only a single ring but still has the front shifter, a cable that doesn't connect to anything, and a derailleur post with no front derailleur. Looks like it is going to need some restoration.

The bike comes stock with a single chain ring, so the derailleur post is non-functional. It has a 3-speed SRAM hub and a 9-speed cassette for a total of 27 gear combinations. The left shifter shifts the the hub gearing and the right one the derailleur mounted on the fork. If I were to guess, I would say the loose cable is the hub shifter cable. Someone may have disconnected it, and couldn't reconnect it (It's not easy).

« Last Edit: Aug 19th, 2016, 8:40am by jayg »  
Email   IP Logged
Patti
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #6 - Aug 23rd, 2016, 12:50pm

Yep, you are correct. I was looking at the current specs, not the ones for this older model. My bad. All the more adventure, I guess. Haven't had a moment to look at it since I put it in the car to c
Bring it home. No telling what else I'll find when I can actually spend some time with it.   Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print