Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 18th, 2024, 10:38am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bad repairs at a bike shop (Read 1798 times)
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Bad repairs at a bike shop
May 22nd, 2016, 9:38pm

I broke the derailleur hanger on my high racer. Got a new hanger, actually 3, and a new derailleur. I tuned it up, but the middle gear sometimes would skip or hang up. I take it to the shop, Velo Republic in Denton. They call and said it was ready in about an hour. They told me they had to straighten the derailleur hanger and adjust the brakes. I said, the derailleur hanger was brand new, it could not be bent and I had not told them to mess with the brakes. Went on the East side ride and first thing, no front brake, they had removed the brake cable and did not put it back in it's bracket. I hit my front back as we were leaving the parking lot for the ride, almost hit a car when I applied the brake. The cable went slack. Not only that, but now my derailleur throws my chain into the spokes, and it was skipping 4-5 gears on the East side ride. I think the only thing they did to my bike, was to pull the brake cable loose and unadjust my L screw. I don't think I can recommend them. I got the derailleur working great myself today. They had the L screw loosened all the way out. They must have loosened the shift cable too. I think I had everything adjusted pretty good before I took it to the shop. Sometimes after the initial adjustment, the cable and/or the derailleur will loosen up or stretch a little. I will take it out for another test ride tomorrow.

What really got my goat about the deal was I tipped the guys $5. I hope they enjoyed it, I will never use or recommend them to anyone.

I get about 15 miles per honey bun!
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Re: Bad repairs at a bike shop
Reply #1 - Jun 7th, 2016, 12:28pm

Ah, jeez...  If I had the time, I would have taken it back and asked to see the service manager...  he needs to know about crap like that.

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #2 - Jun 7th, 2016, 6:11pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Jun 7th, 2016, 12:28pm:
Ah, jeez...  If I had the time, I would have taken it back and asked to see the service manager...  he needs to know about crap like that.

The store manager was there. He is also part owner.

Email   IP Logged
bob wand
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jun 7th, 2016, 6:49pm

A new hanger is no guarantee that it will be in perfect alignment with the Cassette (wheel). It needs to be checked when installed.
If the hanger has been ripped off, the mounting surface for the hanger could be bent.

IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #4 - Jun 8th, 2016, 12:29pm

Quote from bob wand on Jun 7th, 2016, 6:49pm:
A new hanger is no guarantee that it will be in perfect alignment with the Cassette (wheel). It needs to be checked when installed.
If the hanger has been ripped off, the mounting surface for the hanger could be bent.

The hanger is only 1/8" and the drop out is about 1/2". The hanger was the only thing bent, and they messed up my brakes, without being told to touch the brakes. If anyone wants to use the shop, go ahead, but I will not. I now know why the shop down the street (Sprockets) was so busy, they know what they are doing. I'll us Sprockets from now on.

Email   IP Logged
Patti
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #5 - Jun 13th, 2016, 10:41am

So sorry to read about this. I learned the hard way never to leave a bike shop until I test rode the bike and checked the repair. Hope the other shop does better work for you in  the future.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print