Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 19th, 2024, 5:29pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Broken front fork (Read 1466 times)
richardr

rbent member

Broken front fork
Apr 24th, 2016, 4:38pm

I am down in the Texas Hill country (Bandera) at a rally for fiberglass camping trailers.  I brought my Giro down on a 1up hitch mounted bike carrier.  This bike carrier holds the bikes by applying pressure to the top of both wheels.  Since my bike has fenders, I lowered the point where the hitch applies pressure to the front wheel.  On the drive down, to reduce the amount of wiggle in the front fork as the bike was being transported, I pushed the arm into the tire, increasing the pressure.  This must have been too much for my front fork.  When I took the bike off the carrier, the left side of the fork had broken in 2 about 2 inches from the top.

I ordered a new fork from Bachetta and I should be getting it tomorrow.  I expect I will need some advise from Jay on how to remove and install the head set so I can replace the fork.

Fortunately I also brought down my mountain bike.  It was much less comfortable riding, but at least I was able to ride.  This is some nice country!!

Work to eat, eat to live, live to bike, bike to work.
  IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Broken front fork
Reply #1 - Apr 24th, 2016, 7:44pm

Richard, if you don't want to install a new headset, all you will need is crown race removal and setting tools. I have both. If you want to install a new headset, I have the tools needed to accomplish the task.

Quote from richardr on Apr 24th, 2016, 4:38pm:
I am down in the Texas Hill country (Bandera) at a rally for fiberglass camping trailers.  I brought my Giro down on a 1up hitch mounted bike carrier.  This bike carrier holds the bikes by applying pressure to the top of both wheels.  Since my bike has fenders, I lowered the point where the hitch applies pressure to the front wheel.  On the drive down, to reduce the amount of wiggle in the front fork as the bike was being transported, I pushed the arm into the tire, increasing the pressure.  This must have been too much for my front fork.  When I took the bike off the carrier, the left side of the fork had broken in 2 about 2 inches from the top.

I ordered a new fork from Bachetta and I should be getting it tomorrow.  I expect I will need some advise from Jay on how to remove and install the head set so I can replace the fork.

Fortunately I also brought down my mountain bike.  It was much less comfortable riding, but at least I was able to ride.  This is some nice country!!

Email   IP Logged
TonyWard
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #2 - Apr 24th, 2016, 8:50pm

Quote from richardr on Apr 24th, 2016, 4:38pm:

I think you found out about the fork in the most optimal way - I would hate to find out at speed when hitting a pothole.  Ouch!!!

The road goes on forever and the party never ends - Robert Earl Keen
Email   IP Logged
richardr

rbent member

Reply #3 - May 4th, 2016, 8:48pm

I brought my bike with it's broken fork into Barbec's the Tuesday after returning from camping.  Jay told me to put it and the new fork in his mini-van.  Later that day he called and said he had put the new fork on.

I picked up my bike from Jay's home Thursday morning.  I noticed the front disc brake looked nice and clean.  I mentioned it to Jay.  He said he had trouble adjusting mine, so he put on a new one he had.  He wouldn't take money for either installing my fork or the new front disc brake.

Thanks Jay.  The bike rides great!

Work to eat, eat to live, live to bike, bike to work.
  IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #4 - May 4th, 2016, 9:25pm

Quote from richardr on May 4th, 2016, 8:48pm:
I brought my bike with it's broken fork into Barbec's the Tuesday after returning from camping.  Jay told me to put it and the new fork in his mini-van.  Later that day he called and said he had put the new fork on.

I picked up my bike from Jay's home Thursday morning.  I noticed the front disc brake looked nice and clean.  I mentioned it to Jay.  He said he had trouble adjusting mine, so he put on a new one he had.  He wouldn't take money for either installing my fork or the new front disc brake.

Thanks Jay.  The bike rides great!

You're welcome Richard. Thanks for the case of my favorite drink.

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print