Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 18th, 2024, 1:02am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
GDB 3rd Thursday time trial (Read 4850 times)
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

GDB 3rd Thursday time trial
Apr 14th, 2016, 9:58pm

I'm resurrecting the Greater Dallas Bicyclists "Third Thursday Time Trial" series, at the Mesquite Airport.  This is open to any GDB member, although anyone is really welcome to participate...  I would enjoy have some other 'bents out there!

We're doing the first one next Thursday, April 21.  The 5:30 Poteet ride group will depart normally, but ride out to the airport as a warmup.  We will start the time trial at 6:15 -- leaving at one minute increments.  The route goes around the airport, and back in to the start, for 7.5 miles.  After we're done, we'll ride back to Poteet.

The loop is mapped at   https://ridewithgps.com/routes/2225731   Either join us at Poteet, or meet us at the airport!

Paul
214 690 6781

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
TonyWard
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: GDB 3rd Thursday time trial
Reply #1 - Apr 15th, 2016, 1:51pm

Oooooo.... thanks for posting Paul.  Since getting my power meter last year I have still not gone out and done a proper FTP test.  This seems like a good opportunity to do it.  Now I just have to convince the wife the  necessity of me being gone that evening.   Smiley

The road goes on forever and the party never ends - Robert Earl Keen
Email   IP Logged
TonyWard
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #2 - Apr 17th, 2016, 2:42pm

I'm going to have to catch it next month - I forgot my kid has a school performance that night.  At least it should be entertaining  Smiley

Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #3 - May 14th, 2016, 10:54pm

Time trial run for May is delayed until the 26th.

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #4 - May 15th, 2016, 10:52am

It would be 71 miles one way for me, but I will try to be there. My rear derailleur hanger broke, and I ordered and received it yesterday. I didn't know it then, but the derailleur is shot also. I should get the derailleur by this Saturday. If I do, I'll try and make the TT on the 26th. It would be nice to put a face with the name of FlyingLaZBoy. Ha. Be nice to meet Mr. Wizard and see his Milan there. Hint! Smiley

I get about 15 miles per honey bun!
Email   IP Logged
TonyWard
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #5 - May 16th, 2016, 9:01am

Thanks for the reminder Paul. It's on my calendar

Email   IP Logged
MrWizard
Five Star Member

bonus mile sponge

Reply #6 - May 16th, 2016, 10:03am

its possible .. I want to go over there and look at the corners -- I can presume there isn't any marshaling going on so the visibility is a concern .. I have enough trouble on the streets with people misjudging the speed I can come up on to them with it.   Also its really low, so weeds and other things which reduce visibility around corners have also been an issue  

Quote from jrob_bent on May 15th, 2016, 10:52am:
It would be 71 miles one way for me, but I will try to be there. My rear derailleur hanger broke, and I ordered and received it yesterday. I didn't know it then, but the derailleur is shot also. I should get the derailleur by this Saturday. If I do, I'll try and make the TT on the 26th. It would be nice to put a face with the name of FlyingLaZBoy. Ha. Be nice to meet Mr. Wizard and see his Milan there. Hint! Smiley

Email   IP Logged
TonyWard
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7 - May 16th, 2016, 2:29pm

Quote from MrWizard on May 16th, 2016, 10:03am:
its possible .. I want to go over there and look at the corners -- I can presume there isn't any marshaling going on so the visibility is a concern .. I have enough trouble on the streets with people misjudging the speed I can come up on to them with it.   Also its really low, so weeds and other things which reduce visibility around corners have also been an issue

Here is the route if you want to check it out on Google Maps -  https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/373905736

No marshaling - all right turns, 4 of which I can think of that you'd need to be careful of traffic on the right.

Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #8 - May 16th, 2016, 9:17pm

I didn't think about the traffic and corners. I just wanted to see a Milan in person. I have seen a quest or two, but never a Milan in person. I have drool on my face just thinking about one!  

Email   IP Logged
MrWizard
Five Star Member

bonus mile sponge

Reply #9 - May 17th, 2016, 7:13am

Seeing a Milan is much easier  ..   I ride it pretty often on a   plano / richardson loop    Though, its not fully configured .. haha ..   I've got the top off of it right now, mainly just to have "airconditioning" at the stoplights.  Anyway,   I try to get that loop done about 3-4 times a week.   If you are anywhere near the area you can let me know or just follow my twitter feed as I "announce" the start of any ride that way ..   When time permits I've made it to a few clown rides with it and I also plan to ride it in collin classic, probably fully enclosed.  

I'd love to do that time-trial route with it, I'd just feel better if I ride the course a couple of times first so I know what to look out for ..  I've had some real problems in richardson getting into the neighborhoods and having people pull out in front of me because it does not compute to the driver that its about to be on top of them .. one of them pointed out it does look like a kids toy .. at least at a distance  

Quote from jrob_bent on May 16th, 2016, 9:17pm:
I didn't think about the traffic and corners. I just wanted to see a Milan in person. I have seen a quest or two, but never a Milan in person. I have drool on my face just thinking about one!

Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #10 - May 17th, 2016, 7:54am

When is the next Plano/Richardson Loop?

Email   IP Logged
MrWizard
Five Star Member

bonus mile sponge

Reply #11 - May 17th, 2016, 9:40am

About an hour from now if I can swing it  Grin    If not it will be about 4pm weather permitting.    

Quote from jrob_bent on May 17th, 2016, 7:54am:
When is the next Plano/Richardson Loop?

Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #12 - May 17th, 2016, 9:52am

Dang, I have to go baby sit my new grand daughter and two grandson's. Maybe we can get together and ride in the next few days. I'll have to find out from the two bosses, the daughter and wife, when I have a day off. I think it is either Thursday, Friday, or Saturday. I'll find out this evening for sure.

Email   IP Logged
MrWizard
Five Star Member

bonus mile sponge

Reply #13 - May 17th, 2016, 10:56am

BE happy too, I can ride slow too .. just use the 66T ring when I'm not supposed too .. haha  .. I'm now on the 4:30 schedule due to work today  ..     I will ride the ROS wednesday and then I will do something thursday in the streets again ..  Saturday and sunday I will do group rides in the mango .. but leave from the house.    

Quote from jrob_bent on May 17th, 2016, 9:52am:
Dang, I have to go baby sit my new grand daughter and two grandson's. Maybe we can get together and ride in the next few days. I'll have to find out from the two bosses, the daughter and wife, when I have a day off. I think it is either Thursday, Friday, or Saturday. I'll find out this evening for sure.

Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #14 - May 17th, 2016, 1:24pm

I sent you an email.

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print