Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 2nd, 2024, 6:15pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Shiner GASP, May 7 2016 (Read 2146 times)
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Shiner GASP, May 7 2016
Dec 30th, 2015, 10:33am

Terrie and I have preregistered for the 50-mile version of the GASP, which starts/finishes at the Shiner brewery.  We'll be hoteling it in Gonzales the previous night, then doing the 50 on the Seavo tandem...  If anyone would like to join us, the website is   http://shiner.com/shinergasp/   The 100 miler starts from Austin, the 50 and 25 start in Shiner.

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
dhansen

rbent member

Re: Shiner GASP, May 7 2016
Reply #1 - Jan 26th, 2016, 11:02pm

I'm signed up. Starting in Austin. If I can get in shape, and the weather is good, looking for a sub-5 hour ride (doesn't hurt to dream a little). Did a 5 hour 40 minute last year in the Quest with some good rain for awhile and a 10 mph headwind most of the way. The DF-XL is faster.

Email WWW   IP Logged
MrWizard
Five Star Member

bonus mile sponge

Reply #2 - Jan 27th, 2016, 5:10pm

Quote from dhansen on Jan 26th, 2016, 11:02pm:
I'm signed up. Starting in Austin. If I can get in shape, and the weather is good, looking for a sub-5 hour ride (doesn't hurt to dream a little). Did a 5 hour 40 minute last year in the Quest with some good rain for awhile and a 10 mph headwind most of the way. The DF-XL is faster.

How are you planning on getting your bike back to Austin ?  I was thinking about this one but the idea of people manhandling my velo is sckeeeery

Email   IP Logged
dhansen

rbent member

Reply #3 - Jan 28th, 2016, 2:17am

Either having someone from Austin come pick me up in the minivan mid-afternoon, or spend the night at a motel near by and ride back to Austin the next morning.  

Looks like it is probably going to be spend the night and ride back the next day.

I could look at getting two drivers (family members) for moving vehicles from Austin to Shiner if you are interested.

Email WWW   IP Logged
MrWizard
Five Star Member

bonus mile sponge

Reply #4 - Jan 28th, 2016, 11:56am

I've got a ford transit that can carry my milan and mango at the same time as 5 people (or 1 velo pilot and gear  Grin ) ..   I  throw a blanket between them to keep the shells from marking if they bounce together, but otherwise it fits a couple of decent sized velos perfectly ..   I suspect it could carry a DF XL and whatever I decide to ride, probably the mango as after about 60 miles the milan and I don't like each other anymore -- at least right now.    

Riding back to Austin was also my thought as well.   I think theres a few people also planning on the same

Quote from dhansen on Jan 28th, 2016, 2:17am:
Either having someone from Austin come pick me up in the minivan mid-afternoon, or spend the night at a motel near by and ride back to Austin the next morning.

Looks like it is probably going to be spend the night and ride back the next day.

I could look at getting two drivers (family members) for moving vehicles from Austin to Shiner if you are interested.

Email   IP Logged
dhansen

rbent member

Reply #5 - Jan 28th, 2016, 7:40pm

I'd be more inclided to ride the DF-XL back to Austin the next day if I had company.  

Looks like staying the night in Gonzales 15 miles away is the best option.

Maybe a tennative schedule is to start the ride in Austin at 7am, get to Shiner noonish, spend the afternoon listening to music and having some beer, then around 3 or 4pm ride to Gonzales to spend the night.

Get up Sunday morning, have breakfest, and head back to Austin at an easy pace sometime before 9am.

Thoughts?

Email WWW   IP Logged
MrWizard
Five Star Member

bonus mile sponge

Reply #6 - Jan 29th, 2016, 10:22am

Sounding a lot like a good plan.  

Geebus Gonzales has a craptonne of hotels. I had no idea.  

My speed is going to depend on how much my work allows me to ride.   I've not ridden in 18 days now because of work travel (not counting the hotel bikes)  that should ease up some soon, but I think 100 miles is still a 5:30-6 or me depending on the amount of chipseal that sucks away my forward momentum ..  

Quote from dhansen on Jan 28th, 2016, 7:40pm:
I'd be more inclided to ride the DF-XL back to Austin the next day if I had company.

Looks like staying the night in Gonzales 15 miles away is the best option.

Maybe a tennative schedule is to start the ride in Austin at 7am, get to Shiner noonish, spend the afternoon listening to music and having some beer, then around 3 or 4pm ride to Gonzales to spend the night.

Get up Sunday morning, have breakfest, and head back to Austin at an easy pace sometime before 9am.

Thoughts?

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print