Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 19th, 2024, 11:17am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Blazin' Saddles 75 (Read 1363 times)
gfreeman

rbent member

Blazin' Saddles 75
Aug 10th, 2015, 11:08am

Last Saturday (August 1st), I rode in the Blazin' Saddles 75 in Granbury, Texas.  I am new to the bike race/rally scene and this was my first.  In addition, I am still riding entry level equipment that is not very high performance.  (Terra Trike Rover)  Before any of you tell me I am crazy, I only rode the 20 mile course.  There is no riding 75 or even 50 miles on a Rover.  But, 20 or 25 is manageable and those are the longest rides I intend to do until I step up in fitness and equipment.  I just did not want to wait to get involved.  The ride was great.  Somewhere around the 3rd quarter of the 20 mile course, we climbed to the summit of Comanche Peak.  It was gruelling, but the views were really fantastic and we picked up a good two miles of downhill from there.  Most impressive were the people.  The most advanced riders, on the most expensive equipment did not fail to shout encouragement and appreciation as they passed me.  I finished the 20 miles in three hours, which included a 20 minute rest stop.  I'd consider that pretty weak on a flat course, but I am not embarrassed by it, considering the many climbs.  I did not finish first, but I wasn't last either.  I had promised my self I would walk no hills, but, on Brushy Creek Road, there was an extremely steep hill down to a low water crossing over a creek.  It looked too dangerous to build up much speed going down, so I did not get far up the other side before I was bogged down.  I just did not have a gear low enough to climb that hill, so I walked about 300 feet.  Overall, it was a great entre into rides like this.  I am following the Wheel Brothers site for good nearby rides.   Anyone got suggestions for good rides with a short course that is not terribly steep?    did anyone else ride Blazin Saddles?

Email   IP Logged
kenbent6
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Blazin' Saddles 75
Reply #1 - Aug 10th, 2015, 11:18am

Let us know what area you are looking around!

IP Logged
gfreeman

rbent member

Reply #2 - Aug 10th, 2015, 12:26pm

Let's say within 100-150 miles.  I may go do a fun ride at the HHH, but that is probably my limit as to distance.

Email   IP Logged
kenbent6
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - Aug 10th, 2015, 9:01pm

We will be doing a fun ride 9/5/15 Details will be on up coming ride when I get a-round-to-it..  Smiley

IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #4 - Aug 10th, 2015, 11:43pm

Do you live in the area?  I live in Benbrook amd work in godley.  I can help you out.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Patti
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #5 - Aug 13th, 2015, 5:14pm

You might look into the Cotton Patch Challenge(Greenville, TX in September) and the Waco Wild West Skittles Ride (Waco, TX in October). They both offer several different distances. i'm thinking about doing the Cotton Patch this year but will miss the WWW this year as I'll be in Europe. The Waco ride is fun and well supported. I've ridden the 50 mile route 3 times on my trike and found it enjoyable. Some climbing but nothing severe and all very doable.

« Last Edit: Aug 13th, 2015, 5:21pm by Patti »  
  IP Logged
MrWizard
Five Star Member

bonus mile sponge

Reply #6 - Aug 13th, 2015, 6:12pm

Smiley for WWW its still one of my favorites .

Quote from Patti on Aug 13th, 2015, 5:14pm:
You might look into the Cotton Patch Challenge(Greenville, TX in September) and the Waco Wild West Skittles Ride (Waco, TX in October). They both offer several different distances. i'm thinking about doing the Cotton Patch this year but will miss the WWW this year as I'll be in Europe. The Waco ride is fun and well supported. I've ridden the 50 mile route 3 times on my trike and found it enjoyable. Some climbing but nothing severe and all very doable.

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print