Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 18th, 2024, 5:59am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Off w/Shimano, on w/SRAM (Read 1044 times)
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Off w/Shimano, on w/SRAM
Aug 7th, 2015, 11:44am

My newest bike (2015 Performer low racer) came equipped with Deore 10-speed trigger shifters and an XT rear derailleur. My four other recumbents are equipped with SRAM "exact actuation" shifters and derailleurs. Once I adjust the derailleurs to their "sweet spot", they hold their settings and shift perfectly. Can't say the same for the Shimano products installed on my low racer. Finally got fed up with their poor performance and ordered SRAM XO trigger shifters and a SRAM GX, mid-cage, Type 2.1 derailleur from my favorite components store (Ebay). The 2x10 GX is new design derailleur, intended for MTBs equipped with 2 chain rings. In addition to a cage lock-out feature, it has a roller bearing clutch to help control chain bounce. Further, it puts twice the tension into the return portion of the chain than my other SRAM derailleurs do (6 lbs vs. 3 lbs.). Beneficial for the low racer, because the return portion of the chain has a longer span between the derailleur's idler wheel and the front idler than do the chains on my other recumbents. The GX is 50 grams heavier than the XT, but the XO /GX combo is 90 grams lighter than the Deore/XT combo (My name is Jay, and I'm a weight weenie.  Smiley).

Put 49 miles on the Performer on yesterday's Clown ride with the new SRAM components installed. Shifts were clunkier than those provided by a SRAM Rival derailleur, but fast and precise. Shifted just fine under load, pedaling up steep hills. Drivetrain vibrations I've noticed in the past (chain bounce?) were not present.

Email   IP Logged
Denman

rbent member

Re: Off w/Shimano, on w/SRAM
Reply #1 - Aug 19th, 2015, 9:08pm

I might have to take those not very good Shimano components off your hands for a not very good price.  

Send me a PM Jay.

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print