Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 16th, 2024, 12:30pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Component Upgrade Question (Read 1330 times)
BentTrekker

rbent member

Component Upgrade Question
Apr 16th, 2015, 1:45pm

OK, before my question, here's what I have:

1999 Lightning Stealth 21-speed
170mm Crank
Shimano SG-X 46-36-26 crankset
Shimano RX100 front derailleur
Shimano STX rear derailleur
SRAM 3.0 comp grip shifters
8-speed cassette

So, I'd like to switch to bar-end shifters because I cannot stand these grip shifters.  When I ordered my new seat mesh and pad I also got the new curved handlebar for this bike that is made for the bar-end shifters.  I figured while I'm at it I would consider upgrading the bike to a 27-speed and make sure all components match.  But, I'm not very bike component savvy, yet.

So, what specific part recommendations do y'all have for me that balances performance and price for this old, but excellent shape bike?  I guess I would also need a 9-speed chain if going this route?

« Last Edit: Apr 16th, 2015, 1:47pm by BentTrekker »  

Matt Bailey
OWN: Optima High Baron
SOLD: Catrike Expedition, Catrike 700, Catrike Pocket, Bacchetta CA2, Lightning Stealth, TerraTrike Tandem Pro.
Email WWW BentTrekker   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Re: Component Upgrade Question
Reply #1 - Apr 16th, 2015, 9:50pm

With that amount of upgrading, have you considered just buying a faster bent?

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
BentTrekker

rbent member

Reply #2 - Apr 16th, 2015, 9:54pm

Quote from aikigreg on Apr 16th, 2015, 9:50pm:
With that amount of upgrading, have you considered just buying a faster bent?  

Oh, yes, I'd love a new Encore, or better yet, a new CA2 Wink  But, no money for that now.  I was thinking, once I got some suggestions, maybe I could find the parts used or something.  I'm in no hurry, and it was just a thought.  If I can't find the parts second hand, and cheap, then I most likely won't do anything.

Matt Bailey
OWN: Optima High Baron
SOLD: Catrike Expedition, Catrike 700, Catrike Pocket, Bacchetta CA2, Lightning Stealth, TerraTrike Tandem Pro.
Email WWW BentTrekker   IP Logged
AustinSkater

Reply #3 - Apr 17th, 2015, 6:03am

Quote from BentTrekker on Apr 16th, 2015, 9:54pm:

Oh, yes, I'd love a new Encore, or better yet, a new CA2 Wink  But, no money for that now.  I was thinking, once I got some suggestions, maybe I could find the parts used or something.  I'm in no hurry, and it was just a thought.  If I can't find the parts second hand, and cheap, then I most likely won't do anything.

The good thing about what you are trying to do, you can do it in pieces.  Get the 3x9 bar-end shifters first, and just use the rear shifter in friction mode.  That way you can still use the 8-speed setup you have.  The next step has to be accomplished all at once though (Rear-D, Cassette and Chain).

Bryan
---------------------------
Shellene's is yellow, mine is too.
  IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #4 - Apr 17th, 2015, 5:27pm

The old chain would work on the 9-speed setup.  But if it's worn, best to replace it anyway.

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV a
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print