Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 6th, 2024, 11:24pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
DFW Veloway (Read 3971 times)
TexasTwo

rbent member

DFW Veloway
Mar 29th, 2015, 4:52pm

Don't know if this has been discussed before, but....................
Has anyone given thought to developing a veloway in DFW?

« Last Edit: Mar 29th, 2015, 4:53pm by TexasTwo »  

darn, getting healthy is gonna kill me

Terra Trike Rambler Basic
Terra Trike Rambler Elite
Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: DFW Veloway
Reply #1 - Mar 29th, 2015, 5:04pm

Email   IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #2 - Apr 1st, 2015, 8:21pm

I'm on the BPAC for NTCOG and the veloway is stalled for lack of funds. One mile of 635 costs more than all of the planned bike projects on the NTCOG menu, but we don't have any funds for bike projects Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Email WWW   IP Logged
TexasTwo

rbent member

Reply #3 - Apr 1st, 2015, 8:26pm

i was thinking of a circular trail something down in austin, rather than a whole trail system

darn, getting healthy is gonna kill me

Terra Trike Rambler Basic
Terra Trike Rambler Elite
Email   IP Logged
MrWizard
Five Star Member

bonus mile sponge

Reply #4 - Apr 1st, 2015, 8:57pm

Opus,
Who are they engaging to fund this?   When I did that kind of thing they were always really not looking when you checked in on them.  They would just say "the state hasn't allocated.." but in reality the NTCOG never asked until pressed to do so.  

Quote from Opus the Poet on Apr 1st, 2015, 8:21pm:
I'm on the BPAC for NTCOG and the veloway is stalled for lack of funds. One mile of 635 costs more than all of the planned bike projects on the NTCOG menu, but we don't have any funds for bike projects Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #5 - May 24th, 2015, 12:31pm

I have no idea where they think they might get funds, especially after the last lege session banned "highway" funds from funding bike/ped infrastructure. I suggest we sue for the pay for the representatives and senators, I mean it's not like they don't get 10-20 times that in legalized bribes... And yes I'm a little peeved.

I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Email WWW   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #6 - May 24th, 2015, 12:57pm

Quote from Opus the Poet on May 24th, 2015, 12:31pm:
I have no idea where they think they might get funds, especially after the last lege session banned "highway" funds from funding bike/ped infrastructure. I suggest we sue for the pay for the representatives and senators, I mean it's not like they don't get 10-20 times that in legalized bribes... And yes I'm a little peeved.

I am totally with you Opus. They call bribery lobbying! When those idiots cut money from something, it more than likely goes into either their or their friends pockets. Funny how that works. I think reps and senators should make what their state minimum wage is and no mad money or expense accounts. Maybe then we could get something sensible done. I worked construction for 38 years, and no one paid for my travels except me. Then they would not let me use most of the cost for deductions!

I get about 15 miles per honey bun!
Email   IP Logged
mleuck
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7 - May 24th, 2015, 11:36pm

Don't they have part of this built? I cross over a bridge on NW Highway to White Rock and it looks like they have parts of a trail poured already?

BTW I may be out of step with some people here but the LESS state/federal/local government spends the better, if that means fewer bike paths so be it. California has lovely bike paths....California is also broke

« Last Edit: May 24th, 2015, 11:38pm by mleuck »  
  IP Logged
reever

rbent member

Reply #8 - May 25th, 2015, 11:11am

I'd like to know the history of how the Austin Veloway came into being. Was the land donated? Was it all city funds that paved the path? Do city funds maintain and repair it now? That is in a NICE neighborhood!

Adults should have fun so kids will want to grow up!

For every mile of road there's two miles of ditch.

I'd rather be sorry for something I did than for something I didn't do.
Email   IP Logged
AustinSkater

Reply #9 - May 25th, 2015, 3:53pm

Quote from reever on May 25th, 2015, 11:11am:
I'd like to know the history of how the Austin Veloway came into being. Was the land donated? Was it all city funds that paved the path? Do city funds maintain and repair it now? That is in a NICE neighborhood!

There is some of the history here:
http://www.veloway.com/

The majority of the improvements and repair has been spearheaded by the Hill Country Inline Club over the years (we did the fundraising for the shelter, and I believe are working on getting it repaved).  The city will not spend any money repaving it, or if they do it will be low grade pavement (10 years ago they came close to putting down slury-seal over it).

Bryan
---------------------------
Shellene's is yellow, mine is too.
  IP Logged
reever

rbent member

Reply #10 - May 25th, 2015, 6:10pm

Very interesting--the history of the Austin Veloway. If there is a DFW veloway, I think it will come from some landowner or developer donating lands and getting federal funding for improvements..........

Adults should have fun so kids will want to grow up!

For every mile of road there's two miles of ditch.

I'd rather be sorry for something I did than for something I didn't do.
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print