Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 3rd, 2024, 5:55pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
BionX on a Catrike Speed (Read 2032 times)
texpug
Five Star Member

rbent member

BionX on a Catrike Speed
Mar 29th, 2015, 3:26pm

BionX Review from a non technical person: I have written extensively about the use of our BionX on the Terra Trike Tandem Pro IPS we own. As a stoker, I have never actually piloted a trike using a BionX. Yesterday was the first day I have ever actually been at the controls of the BionX!!!

We enjoyed the BionX so much on Deuce (our tandem), I decided I was going to have BionX put on our two Catrike Speeds. One of the Speeds, the Pugtrike (the trike that my Service Dog, Sweet P, rides on) has a lot of weight to power with a “well endowed” rider and a “well nourished” Pug plus her basket. And I wanted the other one to have a BionX so I could keep up with Greg and Sweet P! So yesterday was my first time ever to ride when I was the one working the BionX.

Three words: OH MY GOODNESS!!!!!

We rode a trail in Austin that is best described as “moderate” in terms of the challenge level. It had some pretty challenging climbs. Where I normally ride has NO climbs, and as you know – if you don’t get practice climbing, they will kick your rear every time.
I cannot give you the game plan for shifting the level of assist needed. I cannot see the dial. Greg just told me to hit the top button when I needed a little help, and the lower button when going down hills. I know. Kind of pitiful, isn’t it? But that is all I needed to know!!!!

For the first time EVER I had 100% TRUE ENJOYMENT with the ride experience. Let me repeat – the BionX does NOT work unless YOU WORK. No siree – it does keep you honest. You still have to do the pedaling, and you still have to work at it. The HUGE difference is, when faced with those hills that made you die a slow death trying to get up them, made you have to get off and pull your trike up, or scared the pants off you thinking your cause of death was going to be “could not climb that hill” on your death certificate, you CAN get up them without fear or dread. This takes that very unattractive aspect of riding that we all KNOW, but few ADMIT, out of the equation.

Another added benefit is knowing that you can keep up with whatever pace is necessary. How many times have you ridden with riders that are just flat out FASTER THAN YOU? It gives you a complex and makes you feel embarrassed when they have to stop and wait on you all the time. With the BionX – this is not going to happen. You CAN easily keep up with those 15 mph averaging people with a BionX. And if you have a little devil in you, go ahead and PASS them up those hills wink emoticon You can do it with that BionX!  Smiley

The BionX is NOT for everyone. I am fully aware some people, no matter what, are going to call it cheating. Whatever. And many refuse to consider it because “old people” use BionX. That is like a young person that plays tennis should play tennis with wood racquets, because that new technology in racquets is “cheating.” New technology is the cutting edge. Granted, for the professional cyclist, they can’t have a BionX. But since 99% of us ride for enjoyment – DUH. Why not use a tool that GREATLY increases enjoyment. It is NOT a scooter you are riding. You can choose the level of assist you want. Don’t WANT any assist? Don’t turn it on. But if you don’t enjoy those excruciating climbs, then why on earth do it?

I would like to address the BionX in an area that is close to me, personally. The BionX has taken a very real, underlying terror out of the equation for me. I was in a very near fatal accident when I was 22 that left me with MASSIVE head injuries. Everything in my head was broken – except my nose. My skull was pieces. It ripped everything to shreds inside. I managed to hang on, but I have always been nervous that excessive physical strain was going to set off a bomb in my head. I was told that excessive stress could ruin my cochlear implant, because my cochlea was 3 mm from being punctured from the injuries. And a punctured cochlea will not work with a cochlear implant. I do not ever want to be totally deaf again. So I am not real big into physical stress. I am not alone. If you think about it, the majority of us have some physical issue we really don’t need to push. The BionX relieves a HUGE amount of this worry, since we do not have to ask our bodies for something we really should not. Bottom line: the BionX took a MAJOR health concern out of the equation for me.

Now, on a superficial and vanity aspect, this BionX looks KICK REAR GOOD on the Pugtrike. My jaw dropped when I saw it for the first time. Oh my goodness. The configuration of the mounting and placement with the BEST RACK EVER on the Pugtrike was just the proverbial icing on the cake. Easy Street Recumbents went above and beyond the call of duty to mount the BionX on the trike in a fashion where it looks SOOOO slick and high tech. If you have Easy Street mount a BionX on your trike, ask them to do it like the “the.Pugtrike”.

Yes, once again I am singing the glory of the BionX from the rooftops. It has truly elevated recumbent riding the THE BEST EXPERIENCE EVER!!!!

Catrike 700
Catrike Speed
Terra Trike Tandem Pro IPS
  IP Logged
texpug
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: BionX on a Catrike Speed
Reply #1 - Mar 29th, 2015, 3:28pm

Catrike 700
Catrike Speed
  IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #2 - Mar 29th, 2015, 5:49pm

It isn't cheating if it helps you and you enjoy it. That is what makes riding fun, enjoying it! So I say, just enjoy your ride and to hell with what others say and think!!!! Looks kinda cool to me.

I get about 15 miles per honey bun!
Email   IP Logged
texpug
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - Mar 30th, 2015, 8:21am

I agree 100%. I guess it is kind of like hearing aids and contact lenses & glasses -- they have negative connotations.  But they are designed to enrich lives. I personally don't care HOW I come across.  

Actually, if I were in perfect health, I would get a HUGE HUGE kick out of seeing just how fast I could ride with one!  Smiley It would be fun to set goals using a BionX to see just how to orchestrate the perfect ride from Point A to Point B. The BionX can actually make it a very challenging ride -- you could put in on regenerate on the flat surfaces and work your rear off charging it so that you would have optimal power when needed for the climbs and the sections that you could burn. And while the BionX makes it butter smooth to go FAST in some areas, it can give you grief on re charging setting where you are working to recoup power. They could be a real BLAST for the exceptional rider to do a long distance route FAST. Would work you over time in some sections, and rocket propel you in others!  I don't have what it takes to do that - it would take an extremely fit and strong rider to pull that challenge off.

Catrike 700
Catrike Speed
  IP Logged
TexasTwo

rbent member

Reply #4 - Mar 30th, 2015, 1:51pm

What are the specs?  I assume a 350 motor, but which one. 350 RX, Dx, or DV
 Battery voltage?  36v or 48v
what model #?
If I'm gonna dream, may as well dream large, eh?  (bionx is a Canadian Co)

« Last Edit: Mar 30th, 2015, 3:22pm by TexasTwo »  

darn, getting healthy is gonna kill me

Terra Trike Rambler Basic
Terra Trike Rambler Elite
Email   IP Logged
texpug
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #5 - Mar 30th, 2015, 5:38pm

I believe it is a 350 RX. It is a BionX rack.  

Since I am kind of over-the-top with my enthusiasm, Easy Street is offering a limited time promotion of free installation ($60-$80 value - depends on the mount) and a discount on the recommended flat resistant rear tire that should be used with e assist.  This is good with the purchase of any BionX system.

Catrike 700
Catrike Speed
  IP Logged
texpug
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #6 - Mar 31st, 2015, 6:20pm

Due to my enthusiasm and excitement about the new BionX on the Pugtrike (Catrike Speed), Easy Street Recumbents is running a BionX special. They are the best, aren't they????

Buy any BionX, and receive installation free (normally $60 - $80 depending on the configuration). Also, get a discount on the recommended flat resistant rear tire that e assist recommends.  

Tell them Jane sent you. If you have been considering a BiomnX, now is a good time to go ahead and take the plunge to the "fun side".  

Give Easy Street a call ( 512-453-0438) and tell them you have the BionX bug! :
 Smiley

Catrike 700
Catrike Speed
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print