Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 3rd, 2024, 3:25pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The perils of Veloman in the land of the biz-biz (Read 1399 times)
MrWizard
Five Star Member

bonus mile sponge

The perils of Veloman in the land of the biz-biz
Mar 22nd, 2015, 11:11pm

So I've been putting the miles on the mango a few hundred miles, mostly its been nice and buttoned up as to keep the chill down and be able to get some riding in.     Today though we had sun, today, we had dry streets, today we had .. bees  

Coming around the bend, dance music blaring .. have about 45 miles into the planned metric and things are looking great, the kids are waving the cars are even being friendly.  The chipseal doesn't seem to be giving the tank traps in Beruit a run for the most annoying surface to cycle on and are actually feeling relatively smooth.   The winter "top" is still on the velo and its actually kind of hot inside .. the side slits are open letting a little air in along the way ..      The sun is shining in and everything is fine ..  I can even smell the flowers on the redbuds as I pass by groups of them ..  birds are singing and everything is great ...

Off in the distance I see a group of flowers coming up on the right .. nothing unusual about them... so i just approach as normal and don't pay much special attention, only partially noticing the little black dot that gets swept up by the airstream coming across the fairing and right into the vent.    Now as bees go, this probably was pretty much your average run of the mill texas bee, nothing special about him at all .. except at that moment.  He might as well been Mothra the flying enemy of Godzilla himself!  So here we are running about 28 mph, rocketing down the asphalt just me and Beezilla along with 2NE1 singing in the background ..  Time slows down in that way that it does when there is an oncoming train or you are at the checkout counter at Walmart waiting for the newly minted clerk to realize that the item really does have a barcode not in the system and no you don't remember the price, much less the 10-12 digit sku number.   Meanwhile, there is maybe 4 cubic inches of space in available between me and beelzebub and from the looks of things he's none too happy about the situation any more than I am ..     I have a  quick reaction to swat at him as he decides to make my oakleys his first landing space and oh,  did I mention that velos are a bit twitchy?    One hand Releasing the steering tiller  and swatting at Mr Been and I get a quick unanticipated lane change, a wheel in the air and a frantic curse and a roll back to the right, meanwhile thumbing the brake levers down; the whine of oversized drum brakes mixed with the angry buzzing of now completely pissed off Anthophilad, finally stopping the bike .. I'm wishing I'd worn gloves as I fight the bee the velcro and the roof to get this angry honeymaker out of here ..     (Remember that 1970ss  movie at the end where the VW was covered in killer bees and drove into the astrodome?  Yeah me neither, but thats what started rolling around in my head, scenes of a swarm of bees chasing down and covering a velo ..)       Ripping the velco straps I flip open the hood and with a final swat remove the offending insect and thinking the gods that I wasn't stung ..

Just as I thought I was done, I hear zzzzzzzz  thats what it sounds like when a bee is near your ear .. zzzzzz ..  I think whatinthehellisthat and a couple of roadies pass by .. the wheels on the pavement going zzzzzzzz ..  one of them says "nice bike" and they both ride off while I'm sitting there with nothing but the blank stare of the suddenly baffled and the HR slowly ticking down from mach 10.  I'm sure beezlejuice is laughing it up with his friends right now, I'm going to have to start packing bug spray.

« Last Edit: Mar 23rd, 2015, 12:42am by MrWizard »  
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Re: The perils of Veloman in the land of the biz-b
Reply #1 - Mar 23rd, 2015, 11:13am

Good event description...   Could you put some screen material in the vent opening?

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
MrWizard
Five Star Member

bonus mile sponge

Reply #2 - Mar 23rd, 2015, 11:55am

Not sure that would let much air in .. these vents are about 1inch square ..     Since its pretty out .. I took the roof off ..  

Here's a piece of the morning ride ..  http://youtu.be/T3GRKGPOhvw

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Mar 23rd, 2015, 11:13am:
Good event description...   Could you put some screen material in the vent opening?

Email   IP Logged
testersbc

rbent member

Reply #3 - Mar 30th, 2015, 1:12pm

is there a movie clip of that? Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

Email   IP Logged
MrWizard
Five Star Member

bonus mile sponge

Reply #4 - Mar 30th, 2015, 5:05pm

Quote from testersbc on Mar 30th, 2015, 1:12pm:
is there a movie clip of that? Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

Given the explicative dialog, the MPAA would not be able to rate it.

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print