Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 17th, 2024, 12:01am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Where are all the Trikes? (Read 1711 times)
gfreeman

rbent member

Where are all the Trikes?
Nov 10th, 2014, 2:54pm

When I go to RBM, they are selling trikes, especially Terratrike Rovers as fast as they can put them together.  But I seldom see trikes and never see Rovers on the trails I ride - White Rock, Santa Fe, and Katy. So where are they?  Do you guys see people riding Rovers?  Are they just collecting dust in people's garages?  I have friends who want to find used ones and i keep thinking, as the weather gets cooler, the un-ridden ones will start to show up on Craigslist.   Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Phantom Rider
Five Star Member

Re: Where are all the Trikes?
Reply #1 - Nov 10th, 2014, 5:59pm

Quote from gfreeman on Nov 10th, 2014, 2:54pm:
When I go to RBM, they are selling trikes, especially Terratrike Rovers as fast as they can put them together.  But I seldom see trikes and never see Rovers on the trails I ride - White Rock, Santa Fe, and Katy. So where are they?  Do you guys see people riding Rovers?  Are they just collecting dust in people's garages?  I have friends who want to find used ones and i keep thinking, as the weather gets cooler, the un-ridden ones will start to show up on Craigslist.   Smiley

I was riding this morning and met Al, a rover owner that purchased from RBM.  Al rides Monday through Friday mornings(weather permitting) on the trails in Park Glen and Summerfields of which is in the Northern(820&35w) parts of Fort Worth.  I ride this area all the time and have never seen him before so when I saw the trike cross an intersection I decided to give chase and chat with the owner.

Now you know at least one of those rovers is being well used and is not for sale, hope to see Al on this forum in the future.

2017 Cruzbike V20
2019 ICE VTX Black
SOLD - 2011 GT Karakorem 1.0 - 2012 Lightning Phantom II - 2004 Lightning P38 2013 Rans Rifle 2014 Catrike 700 - 2014 Bacchetta CA2
Email   IP Logged
Denman

rbent member

Reply #2 - Nov 10th, 2014, 8:27pm

I've kind of wondered the same thing.  Terratrikes in particular.  over the last 3 years we've been riding trikes I've seen a grand total of two Terratrikes.  Probably seen somewhere well over 50 Catrikes, despite the fact that Terratrike sells nearly twice as many.  I've seen about a dozen ICE trikes and another dozen HPV trikes.  nevermind that even combined, ICE and HPV sells about 15% the number of trikes in the US as Catrike.

Then it dawned on me.  Terratrike is an entry level brand.  Many people who buy a bike or trike tend to lose the ambition to ride after a while as the novelty sometimes wear off.    Those who do ride often tend to upgrade after a while.

We ride about 200 miles a year and often take on various trails in the DFW area.  We plan our vacations around riding.  I would say we see another trike maybe every 100 miles of riding.

Email   IP Logged
Patti
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - Nov 11th, 2014, 10:28am

"We ride about 200 miles a year and often take on various trails in the DFW area."

This surprises me, Denman. I thought you probably rode that much per week…  Wink

IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #4 - Nov 11th, 2014, 4:41pm

I see trikes occasionally at White Rock, but I only ride there twice a week.  And I've seen a vatiety of models, although the premium models predominate.  This makes sense, as a circuit there is at least 9.2 miles, which is a bit ambitious for a novice triker.  I suspect that, although many end up as cat beds or clothes hangers, most are only ridden around neighborhoods, a few miles at a time.  That's fine, the fun is still there.  Around here we could ride to Bishop Arts, for instance, fool around there a bit, and come home, and not surpass four miles.  As more new trikes are sold, the older ones will trickle back into the market, so have patience.   Smiley

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV a
Email   IP Logged
Denman

rbent member

Reply #5 - Nov 11th, 2014, 6:39pm

Quote from Patti on Nov 11th, 2014, 10:28am:
"We ride about 200 miles a year and often take on various trails in the DFW area."

This surprises me, Denman. I thought you probably rode that much per week…  Wink

Doh.....

Not quite 200 miles a week.   OK maybe on the rare 2 weeks a year I get off.  Speaking of which, I need a vacation!

Email   IP Logged
gfreeman

rbent member

Reply #6 - Nov 12th, 2014, 10:21am

Posted by Denman
We ride about 200 miles a year and often take on various trails in the DFW area.  We plan our vacations around riding.  I would say we see another trike maybe every 100 miles of riding.

Hey Denman! (My wife's maiden name by the way) I am really interested in what you said about planning your vacations around riding.  I want to do some of that.  Tell me about some of your trips.   Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Denman

rbent member

Reply #7 - Nov 12th, 2014, 6:55pm

Quote from gfreeman on Nov 12th, 2014, 10:21am:

Hey Denman! (My wife's maiden name by the way) I am really interested in what you said about planning your vacations around riding.  I want to do some of that.  Tell me about some of your trips.   Smiley

We take the first week of July off.

2012 we flew to Sacramento and rented a Greenspeed.  Rode the American Trail and a good bit of Sacramento; about 150 miles total.  Sadly my wife was still using a walker recovering from a broken leg.  FWIW, she rode her Catrike into a deep concrete culvert 3 months prior and landed "foot first".

2013 we drove to New Mexico for 10 days of riding in Albuquerque, Santa Fe, & Chaco Canyon.  Posted a little about the New Mexico ride in our Catrike Review.

2014 we drove up to Colorado & camped on the Colorado riverbank just outside Glenwood Springs for 7 days, followed with 4 days in Downtown Denver, and a couple days in Colorado Springs.  Someday I'll write up an article with pics.  Rides included Glenwood to Aspen & back, Cherry Creek, and Pikes Peak - going down, not up.

Over Easter we ride San Antonio camping at the KOA.  Wrote an article about last year's trip you can see here.  That potbelly in the picture is gone - fat boy went on a diet and I've lost 30 Lbs since then.

Last Thanksgiving we journeyed down to Corpus Christi and rode along the ocean.  Weather was not bad riding was nice, but too far for the quality of riding we enjoyed.

Locally we've covered just about all the "green lines" on Google maps in the DFW area at least once.  Trinity Trails is easily the best in the region IMO.

Looking at either Houston or Mineral Wells Trailway for T-Day weekend this year.  

Living in McKinney we have some really nice bike paths connected by neighborhood roads so its not hard to clock 10-30 miles of riding that's got great scenery, and not always the same trails.

« Last Edit: Nov 12th, 2014, 6:57pm by Denman »  
Email   IP Logged
texpug
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #8 - Nov 19th, 2014, 12:05pm

The George Bush Park trail is a lot of fun in Katy (west of Houston). If you come, let me know and I will try and get some locals to ride with you if you want (Sweet P and I are going to DISNEYWORLD! Smiley )

Catrike 700
Catrike Speed
Terra Trike Tandem Pro IPS
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print