Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 6th, 2024, 3:01am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Catrike 700 Impressions (Read 2769 times)
Tiger_Mike

rbent member

Catrike 700 Impressions
Oct 14th, 2014, 10:09pm

Before I bought Ldoc1234's Catrike 700, my only real experience on a trike was 25 miles on a 3 speed Terra Trike Rambler. The rambler was fun, so I knew a faster trike would be really good....but I didn't realize how different a Cat 700 would feel.  

I get lots of pedal steer. Even with quiet hands on the controls, at higher cadences and power levels the trike swerves back and forth some. I guess my pedaling is not smooth enough. Seems to get worse if I think about it. I tried counter steering, but that takes a lot of concentration, and leads pretty quickly to what aviation folks call pilot induced oscillation.  
The steering is very responsive.
My fastest descent so far topped out at 30 mph. The trike feels very stable at that speed as long as I'm not making extraneous steering inputs or pedaling. I'll need to work out the pedal steer before I try a powered descent to higher speeds.
Finding the right position for the neck rest is really important to comfort with that 25 degree seat angle. I've made a couple of adjustments, and I think I almost have it dialed in. There are circumstances where you want to lift your head up and get off of the neck rest, and I'm finding that's a whole other set of muscles that need some more development. So far, a 12 mile ride is about as far as I want to go.
This trike has 406 x 23 tires up front, 700c x 23 in the back, all up over 100 psi. By a very large margin, this is the most brutally harsh riding thing I've ever ridden. I think thats mostly due to the high pressure racing tires, and a little bit to there being no seat foam. I didn't realize the trade off "cost" would be that high to get the fastest possible Catrike. On smooth asphalt this trike is a dream, but on rough asphalt or concrete with seams, the vibration makes the rear view mirror almost useless, and makes my forward vision a bit janky if I'm using the neck rest. And it's all just generally uncomfortable in that circumstance.
On the plus side, I think the biomechanics on the trike are near perfect for me. My commuter loaded v2 weighs about the same as the trike, but the trike easily out climbs the v2... I can feel that I'm generating more power.
The business about never having to unclip is pretty fantastic. That thing you do on a bike when you approach an intersection with poor sight lines....where you slow down and slow down trying to get a good look before you commit, and deciding whether or not to unclip as you approach wobbly slowness....it's very relaxing not to deal with that. On a related note, that thing where you have to come to a sudden unexpected stop and you find you're in completely the wrong gear to get going again...yeah, no big deal on a trike!  
So I'm looking forward to getting in another ride on it this next weekend, and getting more accustomed to the Catrike 700 experience.

Cool

P38
Rans XStream
Rans V2
Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Re: Catrike 700 Impressions
Reply #1 - Oct 15th, 2014, 3:21pm

Remember the weight distribution on the 700 is more on the front tires.  And, since there are two of them, they share that part of the weight.  That means the tires can be run near their minimum recommended pressure for most riders.  That said, I quickly switched to a 700-28 on the rear of my 700, and run that at or below minimum pressure for a better ride.  I also made a seat liner with 1" padding.  It's surprisingly effective.  You might experiment with extra padding on the headrest.  The rough ride is the reason I don't use it, and, yes, it took me several months to develop my neck muscles to the point I could do a 100k on it without having to hold my head up with one hand.

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV a
Email   IP Logged
Phantom Rider
Five Star Member

Reply #2 - Oct 15th, 2014, 6:28pm

They aren't called bone shakers for nothing.   I run my tires at max pressure so it will go faster, yep I'm a glutton for punishment, seriously I love it though.  The pedal steer Initially drove me nuts and after a couple hundred miles it just went away, I believe this occured because my pedal stroke improved dramatically.  I noticed the improved pedal stroke on my bike as well, so it was a very good thing overall as my efficiency was greatly improved.  Last week I sat on a road with a Krispy Steve neck rest on it and oh my it was nice, seriously considering adding one to my 700.

2017 Cruzbike V20
2019 ICE VTX Black
SOLD - 2011 GT Karakorem 1.0 - 2012 Lightning Phantom II - 2004 Lightning P38 2013 Rans Rifle 2014 Catrike 700 - 2014 Bacchetta CA2
Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - Oct 15th, 2014, 7:32pm

Mike, bring that bad boy to Richardson Bike Mart (Richardson store) next Saturday (Oct. 25) and do the RBM-sponsored recumbent ride with us. A number of us that normally ride bikes bring our trikes to the ride. There will be some 700's there. We roll out from the RBM store at 8:30 AM. Ride distances are 10, 20, and 30 miles. The 30-mile ride average is a maximum of 14 mph. The maximum averages for the shorter rides are less.

« Last Edit: Oct 15th, 2014, 7:34pm by jayg »  
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print