Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Apr 28th, 2024, 11:31pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
White Rock/Munger Place/Deep Ellum Mini-Tour (Read 1213 times)
gfreeman

rbent member

White Rock/Munger Place/Deep Ellum Mini-Tour
Sep 21st, 2014, 2:15pm

My wife and I are new Bent riders, and recent empty-nesters, trying out a new lifestyle, i.e., living uptown or downtown, close to the bike trails and close to the movie theaters, restaurants, and bars we like.  So, for a slightly belated anniversary weekend, we did the following:  Friday night we stayed at the Corinthian B & B on Junius between Peak and Haskell.  I recommend this place to Bent riders who want to be closer to uptown, downtown or Deep Ellum.  It is about ten minutes of street riding from the Santa Fe Trail, if you get off at Munger.  We are destination riders, and not in great shape at the moment, so we needed to start off closer to the things we wanted to do.  Friday night we did the Wine Walk ("Wine Ride" for us) to several houses on the tour in Munger Place.  Very cool.  Met a lot of nice folks.  Saturday morning after breakfast, we left the parking lot at Lakewood United Methodist Church and rode to the WRL Trail.  From there, we went around the south end of the lake and north to the Bathhouse Cultural Center. We sat in the shade for about a half hour and watched the sailboat races.  Then we went south again to The Lot on the Santa Fe Trail for lunch, where we ran into a bunch of the Bent Riders on this forum.  Nice folks - except as punishment for asking where I could get one of their RBent jerseys, they tried to rope me into organizing the next group purchase of them.  I think I escaped.   From there we went on south into Deep Ellum for the Salsa Festival.  That was pretty good, but the best part was the frozen margarita from Fuzzy's Tacos.  Then we made our way back to the Corinthian B&B. The whole ride was just under 17 miles.  Pretty good for newbies.  This am, we finished up by riding about two and a half miles back to LUMC for services.  A great weekend for us - met some great Bent Riders and had fun.  As I said, we like destination rides, so if anyone has good trike friendly destinations in mind that will not kill a couple of greenhorns, let us know.

Email   IP Logged
jabens

rbent member

Re: White Rock/Munger Place/Deep Ellum Mini-Tour
Reply #1 - Oct 11th, 2014, 9:58pm

How was the White Rock Lake trail?  I read that it was dangerous and many crashes have occurred. I'm new to riding and looking for safe places to ride. I'm not very familiar with the trails in the DFW area and hoping to get input from those who know the trails well. Thanks for sharing. It helps to know that I'm not the only newbie.  Smiley

Email   IP Logged
jcsadowski
Five Star Member

Clown #1

Reply #2 - Oct 12th, 2014, 10:30am

I have been riding the White Rock Trail for almost 20 years and have never seen a crash. Well there was one but I did it my self.

2009 Carbon fiber CA 2.0
2014 Schlitter Encore
Email WWW   IP Logged
bob wand
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Oct 12th, 2014, 3:09pm

Quote from jabens on Oct 11th, 2014, 9:58pm:
How was the White Rock Lake trail?  I read that it was dangerous and many crashes have occurred. I'm new to riding and looking for safe places to ride. I'm not very familiar with the trails in the DFW area and hoping to get input from those who know the trails well. Thanks for sharing. It helps to know that I'm not the only newbie.  Smiley

I have done a lot of bike tours all over America. I find White Rock Lake Trail to be about the safest place to ride in the DFW area. The only danger is me.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print