Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 1st, 2024, 9:10am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Body & Tail Sock Performance Question (Read 1806 times)
BentTrekker

rbent member

Body & Tail Sock Performance Question
Sep 11th, 2014, 10:14pm

There's a lady who makes custom body and tail socks for trikes like the ones you see below.  My questions are: Are they of any benefit?  What are the benefits/cons of each?  How do they compare to velo shells?  My initial thought is they must be MUCH lighter than a hard shell, but do they perform similarly?  These body socks are only $135 and the tail socks are only $75.  Are they worth it?  If so, which would you choose and why?

Matt Bailey
OWN: Optima High Baron
SOLD: Catrike Expedition, Catrike 700, Catrike Pocket, Bacchetta CA2, Lightning Stealth, TerraTrike Tandem Pro.
Email WWW BentTrekker   IP Logged
johnnybent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Body & Tail Sock Performance Question
Reply #1 - Sep 12th, 2014, 8:05am

Who is making these? I would think the covering would have some protection quality, much less noise then any hard material, lighter, and maybe less drag covering all the small parts of the trike.  Did the cost cover the frame also?

Email   IP Logged
BentTrekker

rbent member

Reply #2 - Sep 12th, 2014, 8:12am

Melanie Vizzusi
fffashions@hotmail.com

I believe the frameset comes with it, however, I haven't gotten her to confirm that.  She told me to call TerraCycle and ask Robert all my questions :S

Matt Bailey
SOLD: Catrike Expedition, Catrike 700, Catrike Pocket, Bacchetta CA2, Lightning Stealth, TerraTrike Tandem Pro.
johnnybent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - Sep 12th, 2014, 12:28pm

I emailed them and was informed they have not produced a full sock for trikes for a few years now.  He included that making a universal model would be difficult due to the different wheel sizes involved and the difficulty of mount/dismounting the trike.  No mention of the tail sock but I've always known the frame and sock were priced separately.  I was disappointed cause I would really love something besides plastic in front of me.

Email   IP Logged
BentTrekker

rbent member

Reply #4 - Sep 12th, 2014, 2:29pm

Quote from johnnybent on Sep 12th, 2014, 12:28pm:
I emailed them and was informed they have not produced a full sock for trikes for a few years now.  He included that making a universal model would be difficult due to the different wheel sizes involved and the difficulty of mount/dismounting the trike.  No mention of the tail sock but I've always known the frame and sock were priced separately.  I was disappointed cause I would really love something besides plastic in front of me.  

Did you contact TerraCycle or Melanie?  I said Melanie makes them, but she said that Robert at TerraCycle can answer my technical questions regarding them.

Matt Bailey
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #5 - Sep 12th, 2014, 3:44pm

Homemade tailboxes, using Coroplast, have been said to make effective aerodynamic improvements to trikes.  I would suppose a tail-sock could do the same.  I would think a body sock would present a visibility problem on a low trike like a 700.

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV a
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print