Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 16th, 2024, 7:49am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Dynamos - Feedback on any product which works (Read 1659 times)
Bobcat22

rbent member

Dynamos - Feedback on any product which works
Sep 7th, 2014, 6:19pm

Is anyone using a dynamo product which they are happy using? I am wanting to power blinking lights using a lithium which is being recharged by the on-board generator.

ICE QNT Trike
  IP Logged
Tiger_Mike

rbent member

Re: Dynamos - Feedback on any product which works
Reply #1 - Sep 7th, 2014, 10:45pm

I have a SONdeluxe hub (Schmidt). I've been very happy with it. I suggest you read the articles and info on the Peter White website.    http://www.peterwhitecycles.com
He seems to be the authority on dyno lighting for bikes, and I've been very pleased with what he has sold me. Fair warning.....he can be a little like the soup nazi if you call and catch him on a bad day. He's a good guy though, and very knowledgable.

P38
Rans XStream
Rans V2
Email   IP Logged
catroad254

rbent member

Reply #2 - Sep 8th, 2014, 8:39am

The Son hubs are the best but there are other options. If you don't want to deal with cranky Peter, Harris Cyclery also sells dynamo hubs and lights.

http://harriscyclery.net/product-list/parts-1400/hubs-1403/hubs-generator-1259/? rb_br=78

Email   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #3 - Sep 8th, 2014, 9:52am

Although I have used Peter in the past,  I have bought from this ex - texan,  Anthony who also builds great wheels:

http://longleafbicycles.com/

also I would be re-miss if I did not recommend Pat & Charlie at  

http://texomabicycleworks.com/

I have been most pleased with the SON dynamos.  Not as much with the Shimano,   which have always been louder,  or had more vibration in my experience.

Take Care,
Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
AustinSkater

Reply #4 - Sep 8th, 2014, 2:24pm

Quote from Kwijybow on Sep 8th, 2014, 9:52am:

also I would be re-miss if I did not recommend Pat & Charlie at  

http://texomabicycleworks.com/

I'll second Pat and Charlie and a SONDelux hub.  You can get a splitter that attaches to the hub, and a small converter (I forgot who made mine) that gives a steady 5VDC output for keeping USB devices charged on long rides as well.

Bryan
---------------------------
Shellene's is yellow, mine is too.
  IP Logged
Sspoonless

Catrike Expedition
& Terratrike
Tour 2

Reply #5 - Sep 8th, 2014, 8:34pm

Smiley  I have a 10,000 milli-amp-hour battery that is about the size & weight of a smart phone.  Way over paid $40 for it at Fry's, and have since seen similar units much cheaper on the web.  It has a micro-USB inlet for charging at 1 amp, a full-sized USB outlet that charges devices at 1 amp, another full-sized USB outlet that charges devices at 2 amps, an on/off button for the outlets, and 4 leds to show charge level.

Smiley  I have a 6 watt (1 amp) solar charger that folds in half for storage to make a package about the size & weight of a small/thin children's book.  I found it on the web for $25 shipped.  It has a pocket that holds the 10kmah battery above plus a multi-USB adapter cable, so it all stays connected and rides/stores as a unit.  When unfolded, the whole unit is the same dimension to just shade the top end of one Ortlieb roll top pannier, which is where it rides very well.  So it charges while I ride with no drag or noise.

Smiley  I have 2 USB powered battery chargers that I found on the web for under $9 shipped (each).  Each is about the size & weight of your 2 largest fingers, consumes only 500ma, and handles 2 AA @ 200ma or AAA at 90ma by flipping the built-in adapter.  They can both be plugged into the USB battery at the same time, charging AA and AAA cells, even while riding.  They are not smart chargers, but the charging rate is printed on the back so simple math tells me how long to fully charge, and for easy calculation I just presume each cell needs either a half or full charge.

Smiley  My trike-mounted red tail flasher that takes 2 NiMH AAA, a helmet-mounted white front flasher that takes 3 NiMH AAA, a Garmin Gxc60 GPS that takes 2 NiMH AA, a digitally tuned FM radio that takes 2 NiMH AAA, a walkie-talkie that takes 3 NiMH AAA, my main front lamp contains a built-in USB micro charged lithium ion battery, and so does my Nexus5 smart phone.  Most of these devices go for multiple days between charges, so while I do tend to recharge something every night, not everything always needs charging every night.  And I carry extra AA & AAA NiMH cells so I can be charging some while using some.  BTW: I noticed a big difference in capacity between RayOVac, EverReady, and Duracell NiMH cells. For example their AAA hold 500mah, 600mah, and 800mah, respectively.  So I started sticking to Duracell.

Smiley  The solar and battery work so well together, the only time I have ever seen the battery show less than 3 of the 4 led charge levels is when I first bought it before charging it the first time.  Pretty awesome.

Sspoonless
  IP Logged
Bobcat22

rbent member

Reply #6 - Sep 10th, 2014, 10:16am

My first posting and I am amazed at the responses and the quality of the content of feedback. I will be studying each suggestion. Here are my concerns:

Using a dynamo hub system:
  • I may want to use an internal gear hub for the rear wheel

Nickel–metal hydride
  • Want to stay away from Nickel–metal hydride batteries because I am moving into the new generation of battery (super capacitor) and of environmental concerns.

« Last Edit: Sep 10th, 2014, 10:21am by Bobcat22 »  

ICE QNT Trike
  IP Logged
AustinSkater

Reply #7 - Sep 10th, 2014, 10:29am

Quote from Bobcat22 on Sep 10th, 2014, 10:16am:
My first posting and I am amazed at the responses and the quality of the content of feedback. I will be studying each suggestion. Here are my concerns:

Using a dynamo hub system:
  • I may want to use an internal gear hub for the rear wheel

The SONDelux hubs are usually build into the front wheel, my setup has the light mounted directly to the front skewer (I like that setup so much that on my other bikes I use the same mount and a battery powered light).  So that won't be an issue for you.

What size wheels are you using, and where are you located?

Bryan
  IP Logged
Bobcat22

rbent member

Reply #8 - Sep 10th, 2014, 10:59am

Hi AustinSkater,

I have a trike (ICE QNT) with 20 inch front wheels. So then if using one front wheel will the drag, although minimum, cause steering issues?

« Last Edit: Sep 10th, 2014, 11:09am by Bobcat22 »  

ICE QNT Trike
  IP Logged
AustinSkater

Reply #9 - Sep 10th, 2014, 11:52am

Quote from Bobcat22 on Sep 10th, 2014, 10:59am:
Hi AustinSkater,

I have a trike (ICE QNT) with 20 inch front wheels. So then if using one front wheel will the drag, although minimum, cause steering issues?

Now that's an interesting question, hopefully one of the long-distance trike riders will be able to answer that.  My suggestion would be to put one on each side, this way you wouldn't have to worry about it, and would have a fantastic light setup.  But that would be expensive.

Bryan
  IP Logged
Bobcat22

rbent member

Reply #10 - Sep 10th, 2014, 12:26pm

Forgot to mention that I have drum brakes in the front Sad.

ICE QNT Trike
  IP Logged
AustinSkater

Reply #11 - Sep 10th, 2014, 1:32pm

Quote from Bobcat22 on Sep 10th, 2014, 12:26pm:
Forgot to mention that I have drum brakes in the front Sad.

That's not an issue, you can replace it with a dynamo version (Amazon sells the SA X-FDD for about $85), and I have no doubt that Charlie could build the wheel for it.

Bryan
  IP Logged
Bobcat22

rbent member

Reply #12 - Sep 10th, 2014, 6:39pm

Hi Bryan,

Thank you for this information. Visited Amazon after reading your response and saw the product: http://www.amazon.com/Sturmey-Archer-XL-FDD-Dynamo-Drum/dp/B003RLHCG4/ref=sr_sp- atf_image_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1410397157&sr=8-1&keywords=SA+X-FDD. That hub dynamo is around $85.00 - I thought it would cost more. Let me check out the specs. Do you use this particular hub dynamo model?

Off topic
: One of the front drums needs turning because it hops while breaking.  I like having 2 set of wheels so my thinking is to get another set made up, so that I will have spare pair. Thinking of removing that drum and turning it on my lathe. However during the process, I would like to use another wheel set.

What I would like ultimately to have is a solar and dynamo combination package running into a lithium pack with a BoosterPak ref: http://eiproject.net/diy-battery-technology - .

« Last Edit: Sep 10th, 2014, 8:00pm by Bobcat22 »  

ICE QNT Trike
  IP Logged
AustinSkater

Reply #13 - Sep 11th, 2014, 3:47pm

Quote from Bobcat22 on Sep 10th, 2014, 6:39pm:
Hi Bryan,

Thank you for this information. Visited Amazon after reading your response and saw the product: http://www.amazon.com/Sturmey-Archer-XL-FDD-Dynamo-Drum/dp/B003RLHCG4/ref=sr_sp- atf_image_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1410397157&sr=8-1&keywords=SA+X-FDD. That hub dynamo is around $85.00 - I thought it would cost more. Let me check out the specs. Do you use this particular hub dynamo model?

What I would like ultimately to have is a solar and dynamo combination package running into a lithium pack with a [b]BoosterPak
ref: http://eiproject.net/diy-battery-technology - .

Nope, I don't have drum brakes, so I've got a SONDelux (which sadly does cost a lot more).

I'm not sure why'd you go with all that power, unless you're talking week long unsupported back county camping tours.

Bryan
  IP Logged
Bobcat22

rbent member

Reply #14 - Sep 11th, 2014, 3:57pm

Do not need a dynamo on both wheels but the steering may be effected. The use of the super capacitor is for testing efficiency on other uses.

Using a combination of both dynamo and solar is again for testing the results of integrating of the BoosterPak .

ICE QNT Trike
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print