Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 7th, 2024, 3:01pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Terratrike Rovers (Read 778 times)
gfreeman

rbent member

Terratrike Rovers
Aug 22nd, 2014, 4:18pm

My wife and I are new riders ( I rode a Trek years ago) and certainly new Bent riders.  We needed exercise and wanted something fun  we could do together.  I suggested bike riding and got a cold shoulder.  Turns out, she had a bad bike wreck as a child and, since then, always had balance issues and was intimidated.  Bike riding has never been fun for her since then.  So, I talked her into trying out a recumbent.  We went to RBM and rode Rovers.  We now own two.  I wanted us to be riding the same thing. We absolutely love them.  They are all the fun for her and none of the fear.  I thought I'd point out a few things for anyone considering them.  They have 20 inch wheels, so you are going to do more pedaling and almost everything on wheels is going to outrun you.  If you are out for exercise and fun, who cares?  The seat is higher than on most Bents, so it is easier to get in and out of.  However, the combination of the small wheels and high seat means you have an effective safe speed of 18-20 mph.  Faster than that and it feels unstable.  But, if you are out for fun and exercise, who cares?  Slow down and enjoy the scenery. It has eight speeds, and out of shape as I am, I can still outrun the high gear at times.  At some point, I may want a larger chain-ring on the front.  This requires replacing the cranks, and costs about $50.  I may do it someday and I may not.  I'm out for fun and exercise.  I read reviews that says, if you get serious about touring on a Bent, or riding fast, this will not be your last trike.  Maybe.  But, if you are out for fun and exercise, who cares?  They are great and well-worth the price tag.

Email   IP Logged
kenbent6
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Terratrike Rovers
Reply #1 - Aug 22nd, 2014, 6:45pm

I love your post, I enjoy the ride too. Smiley

IP Logged
BentTrekker

rbent member

Reply #2 - Aug 22nd, 2014, 7:26pm

Welcome to RBENT, gfreeman!  I'm glad you're having fun on your new TerraTrikes Cheesy  Isn't this the best way to get into, or stay in, shape?  Good your you and your wife!

Matt Bailey
OWN: Optima High Baron
SOLD: Catrike Expedition, Catrike 700, Catrike Pocket, Bacchetta CA2, Lightning Stealth, TerraTrike Tandem Pro.
Email WWW BentTrekker   IP Logged
texpug
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - Aug 23rd, 2014, 11:51pm

Welcome to the laid back life!  

Y'all plan on coming to the Heart of Texas Recumbent Rally and Rodeo (HOT). You will meet LOTS of bent riders and there are rides to suit y'all's style. You will learn a lot, laugh a lot, and make a LOT of recumbent friends!

www.heartoftexasrecumbentrally.wordpress.com

Be sure and watch the video from the 2014 HOT -- you will see all the smiles on the faces of those attending and get a really good idea of what the HOT is all about. We're still waiting on the last video of the ride day - hopefully it will be out soon.  You can see the video on the web site!

Catrike 700
Catrike Speed
Terra Trike Tandem Pro IPS
  IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #4 - Aug 25th, 2014, 1:28pm

You're correct about the higher seat and stability concerns -- we have a Rambler, and I'd almost put the upper limit at 15mph...   they're definitely fun, though!  Are you clipping in to the pedals with an SPD cleat system or other?  It's important to keep your feet attached to the pedals...

We live in Rowlett, and Terrie is a similar distance/speed type rider...

« Last Edit: Aug 25th, 2014, 1:29pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Patti
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #5 - Aug 25th, 2014, 2:15pm

Rovers are great starter trikes. Many, many people have jumped into trikes with a Rover in the past few years. Some folks upgrade them as they go, others trade them and upgrade to different trikes. No need to think about any of that right now, though. Just enjoy riding. As Paul mentioned, if you are not using some type of foot retention device, you should look into it as soon as possible. Clip-in pedals, Powergrip straps and heel slings are some of your options but they are a must for safety.

IP Logged
gfreeman

rbent member

Reply #6 - Aug 25th, 2014, 2:18pm

FlyingLAzyboy,

We are using mouse traps to keep our feet on the pedals.  That seems to work ok and i do not like the clips.  But, yes, we know the bdanger of bouncing your foot off the pedals.  Thanks for the warning.

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print