Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 4th, 2024, 3:52pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Easter Weekend (Read 878 times)
Denman

rbent member

Easter Weekend
Apr 13th, 2014, 9:45am

We have Good Friday off.  We don't get many 3 day weekends.  Considering either Mission Trail in San Antonio or Mineral Wells.  

We rode Mission Trail a year ago.  Spectacular.  Haven't tried Mineral Wells yet.

Anyone done Mineral Wells, and if so what did you think of it?

Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Re: Easter Weekend
Reply #1 - Apr 13th, 2014, 2:08pm

It's gravel, right?

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #2 - Apr 13th, 2014, 6:43pm

Mineral Wells is hard pack, but there is gravel in places. You don't need a mountain bike, but something slightly wider than road tires is probably advisable. It's been a long time since I've ridden it.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Patti
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - Apr 13th, 2014, 9:53pm

I've only ridden it on a mountain bike. It was mostly hard-packed crushed limestone. It was summer and there had been no rain for quite a while. Still, I hit just a few softer spots that made me slip a bit. I've not been inclined to try it with my trike.

IP Logged
Denman

rbent member

Reply #4 - Apr 15th, 2014, 9:11pm

Mineral Wells will have to wait.  We're going to San Antonio to ride the Mission Trail again.  

On Saturday, starting at Breckenridge Park, we'll make our way down to the San Antonio Missions Park for lunch and return with a brew stop at Pearl Brewery, then back to Breckenridge.  Its about 45 miles which for us is just about all day.  This is a superb ride.  If American River in Sacramento rates a 10 (and it does) and Trinity Trails rated a 6, this rates a solid 8, maybe even a 9.

Camping at the KOA Friday & Saturday as the weather is right for a tent & a campfire.

If you're looking for a weekend adventure and this sounds like fun, post before Friday or PM your phone number to me.

Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #5 - Apr 16th, 2014, 6:36am

Have an excellent time, and take pictures!!!!  do you have a RideWithGPS or MapMyRide route of this?  We go to S.A. a couple times a year, and this sounds like a good ride opportunity...

« Last Edit: Apr 16th, 2014, 6:37am by FlyingLaZBoy »  

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Denman

rbent member

Reply #6 - Apr 21st, 2014, 10:53am

Report & pics forthcoming.

Summary: Simply spectacular.
KOA borders the Salado Creek Trail, long paved trail mostly through forested land.
Mission Trail is also exceptional.  very colorful, 26 mile round trip, 3000 feet of climbing.
Wildflowers in full bloom.

May be going back for memorial day weekend.

Also stopped at Circuit of America and took the foot tour.  Had we had a 3rd trike we could have taken a lap around the track as Easter is about the only day of the year the track has a staff of only 3 people, 2 of them being road bikers.

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print