Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 1st, 2024, 8:29pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bessie's Ceek (Read 1470 times)
reever

rbent member

Bessie's Ceek
Apr 6th, 2014, 12:31pm

Okay, I guess I went into this with my eyes wide open--being warned by a couple of you that this event was often disorganized. When I got there and saw that chip timing was being used I thought maybe it would be different this year. There was one section of the course that was under construction and had deep grooves cut into the road for about 3 tenths of a mile. That was disconcerting to say the least. I know of two people who crashed on that section. I found myself asking myself what the $110 entry fee went to. It seemed like the guy in charge of the event had assisting him his wife and other members of his family. When we got to the pizza parlor after all of the events were over and we found out that the chip timing had failed, the air went out of many of the bikers.....especially when the woman who got second in the 6 hour event was awarded first place. I don't know.......if you pay that kind of entry fee.....and put out that kind of effort for that amount of time....you ought to at least get some results!  On the bright side I got to meet some really awesome people and got to see how fast a carbent can be when piloted by someone as powerful as Ron. I guess it was him! I wasn't monitoring my rear view mirrors, and all of the sudden--BAM__he was there and gone!!! I also enjoyed visiting with Vicky and her wonderful mother and support crew, Dottie. I guess Bessie's Creek is sort of like the town I live in--Abilene__it's THE PEOPLE!!!

Adults should have fun so kids will want to grow up!

For every mile of road there's two miles of ditch.

I'd rather be sorry for something I did than for something I didn't do.
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Re: Bessie's Ceek
Reply #1 - Apr 6th, 2014, 6:09pm

Don't forget to share your achievement, Jim (?).  Sorry I'm crap with names.  It was great to meet you.  Hope to ride with you sometime.  

Alexis had set a goal of four laps-85 miles.  Then Wednesday she got a bad intestinal bug that left her dehydrated and still plaguing her at the start.  She still met that goal.  Her longest and also fastest ride to date.  16 mph average.  

I had my best race there yet.  Five full laps with 20 minutes left for a partial lap.  Last year I didn't quite make 5 laps before time expired.  Dunno how many miles I'll be credited with, perhaps 115.  I'll take it.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #2 - Apr 6th, 2014, 6:18pm

My average was in the mid 19s.  Pretty good considering I had done zero speed training. Ron was over 23 and lapped me 1/3 of the way though my fifth lap.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
AustinSkater

Reply #3 - Apr 6th, 2014, 6:19pm

Quote from aikigreg on Apr 6th, 2014, 6:09pm:
Don't forget to share your achievement, Jim (?).  Sorry I'm crap with names.  It was great to meet you.  Hope to ride with you sometime.  

Alexis had set a goal of four laps-85 miles.  Then Wednesday she got a bad intestinal bug that left her dehydrated and still plaguing her at the start.  She still met that goal.  Her longest and also fastest ride to date.  16 mph average.  

I had my best race there yet.  Five full laps with 20 minutes left for a partial lap.  Last year I didn't quite make 5 laps before time expired.  Dunno how many miles I'll be credited with, perhaps 115.  I'll take it.

Congrats to the both of you, wish I had been there to kick you ass see you race  Smiley

Bryan
---------------------------
Shellene's is yellow, mine is too.
  IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #4 - Apr 6th, 2014, 7:55pm

Well, since God didn't see fit to make me you, I'll just have to settle being the third banana that I am.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
reever

rbent member

Reply #5 - Apr 6th, 2014, 7:56pm

Wow! I knew you guys were cooking, but over 19 mph and 23 mph??????? And with that section of deeply grooved pavement???? That just rocks my world!!! I averaged 17.4 mph on my Garmin. My highlight of the day........I passed a guy on that steep hill on my second to last lap who was on a DF and then I passed a lady on a DF going up the hill on my last lap!!! Absolutely could not believe it! I did 170 miles in 9:24. I should have done one more lap in the two and a half hours that I had left, but I told my wife on the second to last lap that I was going to do one more lap and I pushed sort of hard on my last lap. Should have just put-putted around at an easy 14-15 mph just to get closer to my goal of 200 miles. Monday morning quarterbacking.....

Email   IP Logged
AustinSkater

Reply #6 - Apr 7th, 2014, 6:33am

Quote from aikigreg on Apr 6th, 2014, 7:55pm:
Well, since God didn't see fit to make me you, I'll just have to settle being the third banana that I am.

I think Alexis is quite happy with you not being me  Smiley  

Bryan
---------------------------
Shellene's is yellow, mine is too.
  IP Logged
reever

rbent member

Reply #7 - Apr 7th, 2014, 10:28am

I must have still been oxygen deprived when I posted. I finished 170 in 9:41 for a moving ave of 17.3....overall ave of 17.0.

Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #8 - Apr 7th, 2014, 12:17pm

Which is better than I would have done in 12 hours by far!

Quote from reever on Apr 7th, 2014, 10:28am:
I must have still been oxygen deprived when I posted. I finished 170 in 9:41 for a moving ave of 17.3....overall ave of 17.0.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print