Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Oct 15th, 2024, 11:17am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Improve Musashi's Brakes for $23.81 (Read 1843 times)
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Improve Musashi's Brakes for $23.81
Jan 27th, 2014, 5:12pm

The Musashi is a great bike, but its braking system leaves something to be desired. There are two reasons for this - Tektro 725, side-pull front brake and Avid FR5 brake handles. Side pull caliper brakes have less mechanical advantage than the other types of caliper brakes. And, Avid FR5, long-pull, brake handles are designed to be used in conjunction with linear-pull and mechanical disc brakes, not caliper brakes (See: http://www.sram.com/avid/products/fr-5-lever). This combination will hardly slow the bike down when just the front brake is applied at speed. I replaced the Avid handles with black, Shimano BL-R550, short-pull handles designed for use with caliper brakes (See: http://www.shimano.com/publish/content/global_cycle/en/au/index/products/road/fl at_handlebar/product.-code-BL-R550.-type-%7Cbl_road%7Csl_road%7C.html). The Shimano handles have a greater mechanical advantage, resulting in approximately 60% more cable tension than the Avid handles can provide. Took a test ride this afternoon. Nice improvement in front brake stopping power. The Tektro R538 rear brake will now lock up the rear wheel when the brake handle is squeezed hard, whereas before it would not. The handles cost $19.36 plus $4.45 shipping at Niagara Cycle Works, through Amazon. Well worth the money.

« Last Edit: Jan 27th, 2014, 6:29pm by jayg »  
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Re: Improve Musashi's Brakes for $23.81
Reply #1 - Jan 28th, 2014, 9:04am

I need to do a similar investigation -- the front braking on the Xstream definitely leaves something to be desired.  But then again, I don't necessarily WANT to lock up the front wheel to easily, especially in a turn...    Smiley

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #2 - Jan 28th, 2014, 11:54am

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Jan 28th, 2014, 9:04am:
I need to do a similar investigation -- the front braking on the Xstream definitely leaves something to be desired.  But then again, I don't necessarily WANT to lock up the front wheel to easily, especially in a turn...    Smiley

I've put my rear caliper brake-equipped Baron on the ground with a locked wheel in an emergency stopping situation on a corner. But, I've never done the same with the disk brake on its front wheel, although it's capable of locking the wheel up. I have to really squeeze the Musashi's new short-pull rear brake handle hard to lock up the wheel. I'm hoping I can modulate the brake in emergency situations, and prevent a lock up. If not, I'll switch back to a long-pull handle.

Email   IP Logged
rcko

rbent member

Reply #3 - Jan 28th, 2014, 8:03pm

Coming from a MTB background where all I used were hydraulics. I find the lack of brake modulation disturbing.

I have spent time aligning the pads and recently changed pads. Hopefully that will help.

IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #4 - Jan 28th, 2014, 9:03pm

Quote from rcko on Jan 28th, 2014, 8:03pm:
Coming from a MTB background where all I used were hydraulics. I find the lack of brake modulation disturbing.

I have spent time aligning the pads and recently changed pads. Hopefully that will help.

Before I reinstalled the stock 105 caliper brake, I had a BB7 mechanical disk brake on the rear of my Baron. I could modulate it in a normal stop, but it always locked up the wheel in emergency situations with not a great amount of force on the brake handle (The bike would start to go down, but would recover when I quickly released the brake handle).

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #5 - Jan 31st, 2014, 10:08pm

Gave the Musashi's brakes a workout today by riding 53.5 miles at WRL, and on the White Rock Trail. The new Shimano short pull levers have significantly improved the bike's braking power. I'm real happy with the brakes, now, and recommend other Musashi owners who are unhappy with their bikes' braking power install short pull brake levers.

Email   IP Logged
rcko

rbent member

Reply #6 - Feb 1st, 2014, 2:33pm

So spent time tearing down the bacchetta brake calipers.  Cleaned them out, then lube and reassemble them making sure to ck for sticktion on every moving part.  Lube and reinstalled again ckng for any sticktion. replaced the stock kool stop salmon pads with black ones.  Also re did the brake cable routing to avoid small radius bends. Re adjusted the caliper making sure the contact pts were simultaneous and balanced the grip on the avid levers.  The issue I thnk is the weak return spring.  But with proper install these brakes now seem to actuate cleanly and freely.

Must say it was worth it.  Much improved brake performance.  Modulation is still iffy but brake power is much improve.

« Last Edit: Feb 1st, 2014, 2:36pm by rcko »  
  IP Logged
rcko

rbent member

Reply #7 - Feb 1st, 2014, 2:40pm

Quote from jayg on Jan 31st, 2014, 10:08pm:
Gave the Musashi's brakes a workout today by riding 53.5 miles at WRL, and on the White Rock Trail. The new Shimano short pull levers have significantly improved the bike's braking power. I'm real happy with the brakes, now, and recommend other Musashi owners who are unhappy with their bikes' braking power install short pull brake levers.

I will have to give these a try.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print