Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Oct 15th, 2024, 5:27am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Anyone Know a Good Indoor Stationary Trainer? (Read 2021 times)
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Anyone Know a Good Indoor Stationary Trainer?
Sep 23rd, 2013, 10:55pm

A co-worker asked me to source a decent cycling trainer for her.  She's definitely a youthful  40-something. and is looking for a way to ease into cycling, and she's convinced that cycling is the way.  She wants to find the name of a durable, well-featured machine.

Thanks!

"You can't see paradise if you don't pedal!"
T.J. Fowler -- Chicken Run
  IP Logged
AustinSkater

Re: Anyone Know a Good Indoor Stationary Trainer?
Reply #1 - Sep 24th, 2013, 5:45am

As someone who despises indoor cycling, I bought a CycleOps PowerBeam Trainer this year and have actually managed to use it to train.  It is a Virtual Trainer so you can create routes on a PC (it uses a Google Earth plug in) and then pre-ride a race course, or you can import video routes that others have ridden with bike/helmet mounted cameras (there are some beautiful routes available).  It isn't cheap though, and not one that I'd recommend for someone starting into riding.  You may be able to find her a deal on CL or the local bike club forums if someone is upgrading their trainer to something like this.

« Last Edit: Sep 24th, 2013, 5:45am by AustinSkater »  

Bryan
---------------------------
Shellene's is yellow, mine is too.
  IP Logged
shellbear

Reply #2 - Sep 24th, 2013, 1:34pm

CycleOps are the best, hands down.  I have the Fluid2.

"As soon as you're born you start dying, so you might as well have a good time." -Cake
  IP Logged
dd5339
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - Sep 24th, 2013, 6:48pm

Craigslist is your friend for something like a used trainer.

Semper Fi

Email   IP Logged
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #4 - Sep 24th, 2013, 7:35pm

Thanks all, for the responses!
She's a teacher, and a novice wanting to get into cycling, so she's not wanting a high-order trainer.  She's looking for a stand-alone machine, like something you'd find in fitness center.  I can direct her to Armstrong's machine.  I believe it varies difficulty...even incline angle?  I have to check it out, myself, but that's the general idea.  
Personally, I'd like to check out the CycleOps PowerBeam you mentioned, Austin Skater.  Very intriguing.

Shelley, some time ago I read reviews about the different types of trainers.  Is heat an issue with fluid trainers?  Just wondering.  Even when I was on uprights, I tended to workout on Kreitler Rollers.  

Still looking for more responses.  Keep 'em coming!  I'm learning, too!   Smiley

IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #5 - Sep 25th, 2013, 3:45pm

Stand-alone trainers can be found at yard sales fairly frequently.  They are being released from clothes rack duty to gain extra room.

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV a
Email   IP Logged
shellbear

Reply #6 - Sep 25th, 2013, 4:01pm

I have not had issues with this fluid trainer, or with the older model I used when I still had an upright bike (5+ years ago).  I agree with other saying that Craigslist and yard sales are a better bet to find a standalone model.

"As soon as you're born you start dying, so you might as well have a good time." -Cake
  IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #7 - Sep 26th, 2013, 7:25am

Have her contact Justine Viera, at justine.viera@gmail.com    She works with Cycling Center of Dallas, and is starting a business that rents indoor trainers -- a nice alternative to buying one, perhaps.

Paul

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #8 - Sep 26th, 2013, 3:01pm

Justine is starting a business called  "Intelligent Coaching" --  she sez:

Intelligent Coaching For Cyclists rents CompuTrainer equipment systems.  Need a CompuTrainer for a short period of time?  Do you live in a northern climate and train indoors during the winter months?  Do you live in an arid climate where training outdoors in the 100+ degree heat is dangerous? Are you rehabing from an injury and need to train indoors for a while?  No worries!  We offer 4 month, 8 month, and 12 month leases.  Free shipping!  When you rent from ICC you have technical support for your rented equipment.  Why buy when you can rent!  Contact Justine, at  justine.viera@gmail.com or 972-623-7894 (website still under construction)

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #9 - Oct 17th, 2013, 11:12pm

Thanks for the imput, folks.  I will pass on the wisdom.   Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print