Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 29th, 2024, 1:22am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hotter than Hell 100 (Read 5203 times)
mleuck
Five Star Member

rbent member

Hotter than Hell 100
Aug 24th, 2013, 4:40pm

Originally didn't want to do the ride but figured I'd try the 100k, had some light sprinkles about 1AM which isn't a lot of fun when you're in a hammock in the back of a Ford Ranger but it passed quick.

Felt so good after the first 30 miles I ended up doing the full ride. Had a blast racing all the uprights and saw Bud trying to finish without stopping, I ended up passing him 3 times because I can't do the ride without stopping Smiley

Finished 102 miles with a 21.5 average, very good ride indeed

« Last Edit: Aug 24th, 2013, 4:45pm by mleuck »  
  IP Logged
Rawhide

rbent member

Re: Hotter than Hell 100
Reply #1 - Aug 24th, 2013, 5:20pm

I had to throw in the towel so to speak.  I knew my big ring was getting worn out and threw it off 5 times (when laying some real power to it) before the first rest stop.  Decided to back off and just do the 100K.  Ended with an 18 mph average somehow, I suppose due to forced spinning.  As always, I do enjoy rolling through the air base.  I did the rest stop there, stepping up to the table and asking if a Marine can get a drink here?  They were quite accommodating about it Grin  

Enjoyed the conversations Bud!  DJ

D J Boyd
Bacchetta Carbon Corsa
Bacchetta Corsa
Rans Rocket GL63
Vision R40
Email   IP Logged
johnnybent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #2 - Aug 24th, 2013, 6:39pm

I stayed at the downtown Y where I thought I would try to sleep in abit and do a later start but someone woke me up at stupid early. I decide to try the catrike this year and go for the fifty. So I get my water and ice then headed for "the cage".  There was quite an assortment of bents and trikes in the compound, one a motorized trike I like to learn more about and an f40 which I had never seen up close.  They started us at 7 and I never saw the fast guys again. Now about this motorized trike....Here I am crankin' away between mile 17 and 20 and this motorized trike just blows past like I'm standin' still. I really want it.  The rolling hills were accident free this year it seems. I caught up with some GDB's and we're supposed to stop at Braums at the Hell's gate. I missed the short cut to it and just stayed on the course for the 100K route. A lot of riders were dropping around the fifty mile mark. finished by 1130.      

Email   IP Logged
TonyWard
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - Aug 24th, 2013, 7:13pm

I had planned to ride with Clown #1 and do the 100 mile route taking the shortcut at Hells Gate for around 70 miles.  We were unable to find each other before the ride but ran across each other at the 20 mile rest stop.  Rode the next 40 miles together as planned.  I managed to drop John as we rolled out of the rest stop just before Hell's Gate.  I did 8 mph for the next mile waiting for him to catch up since I saw that he rolled out at the same time I did.  I kept thinking he got stuck in traffic or maybe decided he was feeling like Superman and didn't take the shortcut and decided to do the whole 100.  Little did I know - his tire had gone flat at the rest stop and he didn't know until he tried to take off right behind me.  I know I should have turned back (sorry John!).  

I did get to ride the last 8 miles or so with a bent rider from Joplin, MO who was riding a CA2 700.  And more importantly he was riding with his 10 year old son who was kicking butt on the 100k route.  We spend a lot of time talking about recumbents.  All and all a good day @ 74 miles.

The road goes on forever and the party never ends - Robert Earl Keen
Email   IP Logged
mleuck
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #4 - Aug 24th, 2013, 8:15pm

Quote from johnnybent on Aug 24th, 2013, 6:39pm:
I stayed at the downtown Y where I thought I would try to sleep in abit and do a later start but someone woke me up at stupid early. I decide to try the catrike this year and go for the fifty. So I get my water and ice then headed for "the cage".  There was quite an assortment of bents and trikes in the compound, one a motorized trike I like to learn more about and an f40 which I had never seen up close.  They started us at 7 and I never saw the fast guys again. Now about this motorized trike....Here I am crankin' away between mile 17 and 20 and this motorized trike just blows past like I'm standin' still. I really want it.  The rolling hills were accident free this year it seems. I caught up with some GDB's and we're supposed to stop at Braums at the Hell's gate. I missed the short cut to it and just stayed on the course for the 100K route. A lot of riders were dropping around the fifty mile mark. finished by 1130.    

I believe I passed the same F40 at the 80-mile mark, nice looking bike

IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #5 - Aug 24th, 2013, 8:35pm

It was another grand adventure for me at HHH this year. As usual, the folks at the Lamar Baptist Church gym did a great job, and I really enjoyed my stay there. But I’ve never seen so many cancellations at the gym before. Recumbent riders were especially hard to find. There were actually more recumbent riders from Oklahoma than Texas in the gym this year. We changed our route to ride to the start, with the new security measures requiring everyone to get to Scott Ave from Lamar St. We were there plenty early, and visited with lots of recumbent riders. Rbent was better represented at the start than in the gym.

With my riding mileage down so much this year, I had my doubts about how my HHH ride would go. I remember three years ago, when DJ and I were talking, he said that anything under 6 hours was probably a good ride at HHH, for old guys like us. I decided he was right. HHH classifies riders who can finish the ride under 6 hours as “Scorchers”. They start Scorchers ahead of all the other 100 mile riders (except for tandem and recumbent riders), and require verification of a century ride finished in less than 6 hours in the last 3 years, before they’ll classify a rider as a Scorcher. So, I’m thinking that as long as I can do HHH in under 6 hours in my old age, then I’m not too bad off. So that became my goal for this year. I knew I was in no kind of shape to threaten my best HHH time (5:01 two years ago), but I figured if I paced myself to try and finish in just a little under 6 hours, maybe I could do it.

I started 10 minutes earlier than what was scheduled. I had just turned on my Garmin, and while it was still looking for satellites, someone yelled, “Go!”, and off we went. I fell in with a paceline of tandems, but they were riding too fast for me. I kept thinking their adrenaline would die down and they would slow, but that didn’t happen. At mile 9, I fell off the back, and joined a more moderate paced group. I stayed with them until that first hill at mile 16, where I fell off that group. And so it went. I would ride alone for a while, then behind a tandem or group for a while.

I still had over a 21 mph average at mile 20. I knew that was too fast for me, and slowed down. But I still felt blown up by mile 43, and my legs were getting crampy. Not good. I kind of expect that at mile 80, but not mile 43. Nothing to do but ease up, and I did. As I passed Hell’s Gate at mile 60, my average had fallen to under 19 mph, but I realized that I had recovered well and felt pretty good. I was much more optimistic. Still feeling good past Hell’s Gate has to be good.

At mile 70, I started having thoughts about riding the entire 100 miles without stopping. I’d never managed to do that before. Just about that time, Mark L passed me. I had to smile for a moment. Any time you get to mile 70 without Mark passing you, you must not be doing too badly. Of course, it turned out that he had started later than me. He passed me several more times, as he was stopping at rest stops and I wasn’t. At mile 73, my endurance drink mix ran out. I was almost out of water in my Camelbak, but still had a 24 oz bottle of water. I also had two GU gels, one designated for mile 80 and one for mile 90. So, I figured I would be ok for water and nutrition to finish the ride. The big question became whether or not my bladder could last until the finish.

The weatherman missed on today's Wichita Falls forecast. It was supposed to be cloudy and cooler, but it was hot and muggy at the start, sunny during the ride, and my truck temp gage showed 102 degrees after the ride. I was really feeling the heat, and the sun beating down on me, before the ride was over.

I was fading by the end, but still holding up better than I would have expected. As I made the turn at mile 98, two different volunteers who were directing traffic shouted, “8 more miles! Just 8 more miles!” I completely failed to see the humor in that. By the time I got to the overpass at the end, I was barely moving, but I finished pretty well on the flat roads from there on, and did finish the ride without stopping for the first time. I don’t have the official time from the timing chip yet, but my Garmin says 5:36. So, I can still call myself a Scorcher. I ended up with 101.8 miles, and an 18.2 mph average. I was pretty wiped out at the end, but pleased with my ride. I drank two bottles of water, got on my bike and rode the 2 miles back to the gym, and then, and only then, did I finally make a bathroom stop.

The HHH 100 mile route.

« Last Edit: Jul 23rd, 2021, 4:39pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
mleuck
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #6 - Aug 24th, 2013, 11:27pm

Glad to see you again Bud, it's been a while. I didn't recognize you during the first pass with the beard  Smiley

IP Logged
Monkeywrangler22
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7 - Aug 25th, 2013, 8:34am

This was my first ever HHH.  I opted for the 100K and not the imperial century, though had I the legs for it, yesterday would've been a grand day to do it.  Mild wind, moderate temps and a fast course.  I managed the 100K in a for-me record pace of 15.7 over the 100K.  And unlike Bud, who finished the 100mi without stopping, (either he was dehydrated, or is possessed of a monster-like "carrying" capacity!  Smiley), I had to stop at every other  sag stop.

This was a fun ride, and the 100K is just about the perfect distance I think.  Accomodations at First Christian were nice, and there was even a fellow recumbent rider there (red Lightning).  It was good to see folks at the start.  I also saw a quartet of bents at the event center Friday afternoon, hiding in the shrubbery.

The Monkeywrangler's blog
Schlitter Encore
Fisher HKEK - Spec. Roubaix
Seavo - Serenity
Email   IP Logged
jdorlon

rbent member

Reply #8 - Aug 25th, 2013, 3:15pm

I had the fastest I've ever done in any ride I've ever done!  This was my second HHH.  I rode the 100 mile route.  I ended up with either a 19.9 mph average, or a 20 mph average (cyclmeter vs. ride with GPS showed a slightly different 'stop time').    By comparison, last year my average was only 16.9 mph, so I was very pleased with this year's result.

I didn't start up front with the recumbents...I was in the back somewhere with my DF friends.    I had around a 20.5 mph average until mile 80 or so...then I couldn't keep up the pace any longer.  Hotfoot and tired legs were setting in.   By the time I made it to 90 miles my average had dropped to 20mph, and I managed to not let it drop much more the last 10 miles.  

I thought we had good conditions.  Not too windy and not too hot.   I saw 1 wreck and about 3 or 4 "had just wrecked".  They all looked painful but none of them looked life changing, so that was good.

I stopped a couple of times, but not to get water...just to release it!   I carry two 70 ounce camelback bladders in the bag behind my headrest.

For a little while I rode with a guy from Austin who riding a Morciglio bike...it was just beautiful!   I think it was one of the nicest looking recumbents I've ever seen.

-John

« Last Edit: Aug 25th, 2013, 3:23pm by jdorlon »  

John D.
Cruzbike Vendetta 2.0
Cruzbike Silvio 1.5
  IP Logged
hubzone37

rbent member

Reply #9 - Aug 25th, 2013, 4:46pm

Like Bud I too fell into a pace line from the start until the hill at mile 16... Bud you may of been if front of me as their was three other bents following the tandem pace line, and like Bud it was hopping from one pace line until a hill to the next, I stopped at rest stop 30 to drain and refill and 50, and was on planning only stopping one more time as last resort but after 80 miles my left foot started killing me (might need to replace my shoes) and stopped two rest stops to give my foot a rest not even getting off the bike at the last stop I made.
This was my first HHH and first century and ride time was 5:41 total time 6:18 at 17.9
Next year I may only do the 100k so I can go through the Air Base.

2014 Bluevelo Carbon Strada
2012 Bacchetta Corsa 700 **Sold
Musashi
Early Version Rans Rocket
Sold Optima Barron
Sold Catrike Red Expedition CTE1064
Sold RideKick
WWW   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #10 - Aug 26th, 2013, 9:11am

Good job, everyone! All of you who plan to ride next year should go ahead and reserve a spot at Lamar now. It's a great place to stay, just 2 miles from the ride start, and I'd like to see a return to the days when a bunch of rbenters stayed there. I'm already signed up for next year.

The timing chip results from HHH are now up at Cadence Sports. Mine shows 5:19. I have no idea how it ended up so much less than what my Garmin showed, but I think I'm just going to brag about my 5 hour and 19 minute century, and go on about my business. I don't know what this year's HHH rider count was (probably around 13,000), but it looks like only 3,763 of them signed up for the 100 mile distance, finished it, and actually wore their timing chips.

« Last Edit: Aug 26th, 2013, 9:29am by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #11 - Aug 28th, 2013, 1:21pm

Sorry I missed it -- although Rothgeb tells me that the Beer Stop did not reappear this year, despite the return to the old route...  very sad......   I suppose I'll have to try Bud's "nonstop" version one of these days -- but for some reason, I think my bladder will rebel...  and I'm not sure I want to carry that much water!

I'll put down for a return spot at the Lamar for next year...

Glad everybody got in a good ride, and finished without incident!   The F-40 rider is Dan Hansen, from Austin -- he just got the bike last week, he's been riding a Moose.  He had a rough go of it, not being used to the heat you get inside one of those things...  Here's his writeup:   http://danhansenjr.com/ride/report/2013/08/24/hhh100.html

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #12 - Aug 31st, 2013, 10:56pm

Quote from Bud_Bent on Aug 26th, 2013, 9:11am:
Good job, everyone! All of you who plan to ride next year should go ahead and reserve a spot at Lamar now. It's a great place to stay, just 2 miles from the ride start, and I'd like to see a return to the days when a bunch of rbenters stayed there. I'm already signed up for next year.

The timing chip results from HHH are now up at Cadence Sports. Mine shows 5:19. I have no idea how it ended up so much less than what my Garmin showed, but I think I'm just going to brag about my 5 hour and 19 minute century, and go on about my business. I don't know what this year's HHH rider count was (probably around 13,000), but it looks like only 3,763 of them signed up for the 100 mile distance, finished it, and actually wore their timing chips.
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x5/Bud_Bent/Rides/hhh1_zpsa952fae7.jpg

Well done, Bud.  Smokin' average!

"You can't see paradise if you don't pedal!"
T.J. Fowler -- Chicken Run
  IP Logged
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #13 - Oct 5th, 2013, 11:54pm

Hey Johnnybent,
Just looking through some folks' footages of the Ride, and found some stills of you there. (go to 6:00)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUIewPXRENA

Here's another one I ran into:  (go to 2:54)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcSG_jXjV1Y

Enjoy!

« Last Edit: Oct 6th, 2013, 12:21am by Action Lad »  

"You can't see paradise if you don't pedal!"
T.J. Fowler -- Chicken Run
  IP Logged
MrOverdressed
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #14 - Oct 6th, 2013, 6:18am

At 1:14 you can briefly see Mark on his Baron.

Quote from Action Lad on Oct 5th, 2013, 11:54pm:
Hey Johnnybent,
Just looking through some folks' footages of the Ride, and found some stills of you there. (go to 6:00)

Here's another one I ran into:  (go to 2:54)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcSG_jXjV1Y

Enjoy!

Happy Trails! Smiley
Terry Pickl
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print