Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Oct 14th, 2024, 9:19am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Are "Stick Bikes" different? (Read 1112 times)
Mizta_Nice

rbent member

Are "Stick Bikes" different?
Jul 9th, 2013, 6:43am

I was looking at the Bachetta Strada and Giro And wondering about the differences since the frames seem identical. I would never do it, but in theory could you just switch to a smaller front wheel and switch from a Strada to a Giro? I'd think that the brake pulls would be off, but otherwise...

BTW, I love my Strada and am not thinking of a change, I was just wondering since I've been up since too early.  

I'd also wonder if the Giro can achieve the same kinds of laid back positioning that the Strada can achieve?

"Slow and steady wins the race" is what all us slow and steady people say when we don't win the race.
WWW   IP Logged
Monkeywrangler22
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Are "Stick Bikes" different?
Reply #1 - Jul 9th, 2013, 11:13am

The Giro can lay back as far as the Strada I think.  I have  a Giro.  It can run on 700c wheels also, though the front end is heavier than the Strada as the fork is so much larger and alloy.  Is your Strada a 650c or 700c bike?  My Giro is the steel frame version.  I run disc brakes, btw.

The Monkeywrangler's blog
Schlitter Encore
Fisher HKEK - Spec. Roubaix
Seavo - Serenity
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #2 - Jul 9th, 2013, 7:30pm

The head tube angle makes the fork rake wrong most of the time if you try changing wheel size in front. See this page.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Mizta_Nice

rbent member

Reply #3 - Jul 10th, 2013, 5:23am

Quote from Monkeywrangler22 on Jul 9th, 2013, 11:13am:
The Giro can lay back as far as the Strada I think.  I have  a Giro.  It can run on 700c wheels also, though the front end is heavier than the Strada as the fork is so much larger and alloy.  Is your Strada a 650c or 700c bike?  My Giro is the steel frame version.  I run disc brakes, btw.

I ride a 650c Strada, and I think it's perfect the way it is. I was was just thinking about such things while riding, wondering if the Giro would be easier at stops. There is an uphill stop light on one of my routes, and my road shoes are slippery there.

"Slow and steady wins the race" is what all us slow and steady people say when we don't win the race.
WWW   IP Logged
Monkeywrangler22
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #4 - Jul 10th, 2013, 10:49am

And from Bacchetta, the official take on swapping wheelsets:  BLOG

The gist of it is, you can run dual 20's, dual 24's, a 24x26 combo, dual 26's, and dual 700c's on a Giro 26 bike.  They did not mention 650c or a 26x700c option.

« Last Edit: Jul 10th, 2013, 10:52am by Monkeywrangler22 »  

The Monkeywrangler's blog
Schlitter Encore
Fisher HKEK - Spec. Roubaix
Seavo - Serenity
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #5 - Jul 13th, 2013, 7:01pm

Quote from Mizta_Nice on Jul 10th, 2013, 5:23am:

I ride a 650c Strada, and I think it's perfect the way it is. I was was just thinking about such things while riding, wondering if the Giro would be easier at stops. There is an uphill stop light on one of my routes, and my road shoes are slippery there.

Pitch/sell those road shoes, and get something you can walk semi-normally in...   Cheesy

Paul

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #6 - Jul 14th, 2013, 9:36am

There is a product called "Shoe Goo" made for repairing the soles of your old running shoes.  It's sort of a rubber caulk.  Daubed in strategic places on the bottoms of your road shoes, it might make them less slippery.  Road shoes have a lot to recommend them for riding, but they are designed not to be walked in unless you are assisted by your race manager or an admiring fan.   Smiley

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV a
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print