Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 11:25pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bike Across Kansas (Read 1039 times)
BikeEB

rbent member

Bike Across Kansas
Jun 17th, 2013, 8:41pm

Finished Bike Across Kansas last Saturday.  The event is a week long supported cruise across the state usually stopping in smaller towns.  This years' ride began in Johnson City and ended in Galena.  The route mileages each day were:  Friday:  32, Sat. 57, Sun. 53, Mon. 75, Tues. 80, Wed. 67, Thurs. 56, Fri. 83 and Sat. 35.  The terrain was varied and included the Gypsum Hills and the lower end of the Flint Hills.  
  I rode from Johnson City out to the Colorado line late on Friday afternoon through the only rain of the week (about three miles, only) on a chip seal road with the largest stones I'd ever seen.  A brick street would have been smoother.  That 32 miles took 2:06.  I was a "tenter" sleeping in my own tent on the football field.  A "gym rat" gets to sleep in the high school gym, usually air conditioned, but no privacy.
  Sunday's ride was to Sublette, my bike computer said 58.48 miles:  3:40:35 riding time, 15.7 average.  Monday went to Dodge City, only 53 miles, but a little southwest breeze powered me there in 2:52:10, 19.4 average.  Got upside down on water though-too much fun to stop at sags.  Didn't pee clear until after 8pm.
  Monday saw us to Coldwater, 78 miles, 5:05:12, Tuesday went to Anthony 83.91 miles, 5:15:57, 15.7 average.  Tried to pull a tandem last seven miles, hurt my average speed.  Long hill saw 42 mph max., 5.2 up the other sideSmiley, Wednesday-Arkansas City:  67.37, 3:55:14, 16.8 average.  Thursday-Sedan:  54.88, 4:30:16, 12.1.  Rode alongside a friend on a trike, keeping him company.  Looooong hills!  Friday-Oswego:  83.65, 5:46:03, 14.5.  No legs today, hot and humid, last 12 miles were tough.  Saturday-Galena:  Got to convenience store in Columbus and had the chain fall off the derailleur and lock up between the spokes and the cassette, dropping me in front of about 35 other riders.  If you're going to fall, it's best to have an audienceSmiley  Two guys, a screwdriver and an Allen wrench and about 30 minutes got the chain free, but shifting was another matter.  Bailed on the rest of the ride-15 miles from the end.
  One has to have his tent and gear packed and on the truck by 9am each day, but I usually was ready by 6 or 6:30am.  Breakfast is usually in the school, sponsored by some organization and ready by 5:30 or so, but sometimes costly.  One likes to get on the road early to beat the heat and wind.  It isn't a race, though.  Everyone rides at his or her own pace.  We had good luck with the wind that week, but had several short stretches due south against 20-35's, usually at the end of the day going into a town.  The Oval X acquitted itself admirably under those conditions, despite it's 40 lbs.  Yeah, that's what my bike weighs with two full water bottles and a 70 oz bladder in the tailbag.  It's quite the beast, but received many favorable comments about it's pretty, sparkly paint and it's low profile.

'13 Oval Xstream
'08 Stratus XP
'08 V3
'09 F5 Pro

Email   IP Logged
dd5339
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Bike Across Kansas
Reply #1 - Jun 18th, 2013, 5:31am

Thanks for the write up.   Vicky and I are looking at doing BAK in 2015 and dragging the kids with us.  We just have to work out the budgets to make it happen.

You should try BAKs northern route sometime,  it gets real pretty up there.

Semper Fi

Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #2 - Jun 20th, 2013, 6:28am

Sounds like some nice riding, except for the chipseal!!!  The Xstream is definitely nice into the wind -- and yes, while it might weigh ~25 pounds as advertised, once we add water, tools, bag, etc. etc. etc., one is up in the 30s for sure...  on ANY bike!

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
BikeEB

rbent member

Reply #3 - Jun 20th, 2013, 10:28am

BAK only has one route per year, so one gets whatever they choose.  I have done it four times:  leaving from Goodland, Tribune, Sharon Springs and now, Johnson City, so a gradual progression downward.  Maybe they'll go up higher next year or maybe go from southwest to northeast-who knows.  Long ago they did have several routes per year, but have done away with that.

'13 Oval Xstream
'08 Stratus XP
'08 V3
'09 F5 Pro

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print