Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Oct 13th, 2024, 11:24pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Musashi rear derailleur cable keeps busting (Read 1763 times)
dhansen

rbent member

Musashi rear derailleur cable keeps busting
May 19th, 2013, 8:29am

My shifter cable keeps breaking all the strands right were the cable first contacts the rear derailleur - any ideas on how to stop this from happening?

This is the second time in 3 months I'll be replacing the cable.

Thanks.

Email WWW   IP Logged
Monkeywrangler22
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Musashi rear derailleur cable keeps busting
Reply #1 - May 19th, 2013, 8:55am

I'd guess you have a burr somewhere in that section of cable path.  The burr would wear at the cable strands and sever them over time.  Can you dismount the der, and clean it really well and then maybe use a q-tip to investigate the cable path for something that snags the q-tip?  That would be the burr if you find one.  Then you just have to sort out how to remove the burr.

The Monkeywrangler's blog
Schlitter Encore
Fisher HKEK - Spec. Roubaix
Seavo - Serenity
Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #2 - May 19th, 2013, 11:20am

The edge of the plastic cable ramp on SRAM X-Series derailleurs puts a sharp bend in the cable when the chain is on the smaller cogs. The cable strands eventually fatigue and the cable starts fraying. Just checked the cable on my Carbent equipped with an X0 derailleur and found it to be frayed in the same location as the frayed portion of your cable. Not that many miles on my bike since the last cable change. If your Musashi was equipped with the SRAM Rival derailleur originally installed on factory assembled bikes, you wouldn't be having any cable problems. Its design is totally different than that of the X-Series. I've never experienced a cable failure on my Musashi equipped with a Rival derailleur.

« Last Edit: May 19th, 2013, 9:02pm by jayg »  
Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #3 - May 19th, 2013, 12:12pm

The Shimano rear ders put the cable loop in the rear cable housing, where it is protected.  The SRAM Rival is a Shimano-style derailleur.  SRAM's smarter looking rear ders leave that loop unprotected.  I notice a lot of gritty-looking dirt on the chain and derailleur.  That can't be helping things.  If you ride much in sandy or gravelly roads, you might need to clean those parts more frequently.

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV a
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #4 - May 20th, 2013, 7:26am

Good photo, Dan -- I'm with Jay, I would chalk it up to the sharp bend, especially since that is where it looks like the strands are breaking...   Guess I need to check my Xstream X9  -- although I've never had a DR cable break!

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
dhansen

rbent member

Reply #5 - May 21st, 2013, 3:36am

Mike at Easy Street filed the edge rounder and smooth, installed a new cable and greased the channel. It seems to shift smoother now but not as crisp. We'll see how long this lasts.

Thanks for all the help.

« Last Edit: May 21st, 2013, 3:36am by dhansen »  
Email WWW   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #6 - May 24th, 2013, 7:57am

Looked at my brake cable there on the Xstream, and there's no fraying going on whatsoever at the moment...

PB

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print