Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 29th, 2024, 1:27am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bosque Tour de Norway - Clifton Tx - Ride Report - (Read 1459 times)
dhansen

rbent member

Bosque Tour de Norway - Clifton Tx - Ride Report -
May 19th, 2013, 4:59am

Bosque Tour de Norway - Clifton Tx - Ride Report - 57.7 miles

Beautiful sunny day, lots of wild flowers and many old churches on hills and gorgeous scenery. Texas is pretty amazing this time of year.

Met up with some of the RBENT (Dallas) gang at the beginning of the ride: Paul Brown, David Rothgeb, Dennis and Michele Starkey (GDB). Paul takes some really nice photos - thanks Paul!

This was the second year for the Bosque Tour de Norway and again it was really well run with great rest stops and lots of friendly people.

Started out thinking I was going to do the longest ride - 80 miles. But early afternoon the winds started up - 23 mph gusting to 33 mph - making for a quartering headwind for the last 25 miles. So, at rest stop 30 mile marker Paul and David mentioned they were changing from the 80 mile to the 60 mile ride due to the wind and heat. Down the road a couple miles later I’m thinking what a great idea, 60 mile route it is.

Lots of climbing on this ride. Although I did not have to walk any hills - they were not extremely steep - just medium steep and never ending. The hill at mile 27 was about about 2 miles long with the second mile being about a 4 percent grade. A total of 3,346 feet climbing in only 57 miles.

Had a couple of issues. My rear gear shifting was messed up. I could not hold a gear very well - it kept upshifting / down shifting and I could not get it to stay in the lowest gear very well. This made the hills even tougher.  Second, I had purchased new shoes earlier in the week. I did a couple of 40 mile shake down rides with the shoes. The 40 mile rides lasted around 2 and a half hours. This ride was my first ride with the shoes that lasted around 4 hours. Well, just over 3 hours the bottoms of my feet back towards the heal started hurting real bad - like someone was beating them with a ruler. Needless to as the last 30 minutes of the ride was real slow. I either need to toughen up my feet  or buy some heal cushions.  

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/314526372

--- by the numbers ---

57.7 miles
14.5 mph
4:05 elapsed time
3,346 feet climbing
91.2 degrees last hour riding
heart rate monitor messed up
80 rpm cadence

Next ride - May 25
Burleson Honey Tour
Burleson TX

« Last Edit: May 19th, 2013, 7:14am by FlyingLaZBoy »  
Email WWW   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Re: Bosque Tour de Norway - Clifton Tx - Ride Repo
Reply #1 - May 19th, 2013, 7:33am

Definitely a tough ride, and you start climbing inside the first two miles, before you even leave town!  This ride doesn't NEED an 80-mile version -- 60 is plenty of exercise.  

Dave and I rolled out at 5AM to drive down there, arriving about 7:15.  We planned to not hit the ride too hard, and hopefully ride with other friends, which we did, meeting up with three other GDBers, and meeting others we know, including Dan.

Good road surfaces for the most part, but with lots of ups and downs, and very few "rollers" that you can carry speed up and over.  By Mile 20, the wind was already significant, and we had already decided to cut the planned 80-miler back to the 60-mile route, instead, as there would be a LOT of climbing directly into the wind on the 80.

I felt strong pretty much the whole ride, and could have hit it faster, but Dave and the tandem couple weren't climbing the hills too fast -- so be it, we would crank it up on the downhills and slow pedal as needed to regroup.  We also rode a ways with an amputee from Waco with an artificial leg (on a DF), whose buddy's bike broke down earlier in the ride.  We had a good conversation about recumbents, and he sat on the Xstream at Mile 50, saying, "Oh, WOW, this is comfortable..."   Cool

There is a 5% or so long, sweeping downhill into Meridian at Mile 33, which I had anticipated coasting down to see if I could hit 50mph, similar to Muenster -- but the wind was blowing so hard from the front and right that I topped out at 42mph...  dangit...   Dave had his Spinergy wheels on, and that crosswind really blew him around, so he kept it under 30.

At Mile 53, we encountered a convenience/liquor/beer store by the side of the road -- OUTLAW BEER STOP!!!  There was a bench outside, and we asked the proprietor if we could sit out there and imbibe... she said, "Sure, everybody does!"

A nice downhill into town finished this one off -- 57 miles, and plenty of exercise, on a hot, windy day.

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
TonyWard
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #2 - May 19th, 2013, 10:37am

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on May 19th, 2013, 7:33am:
There was a bench outside, and we asked the proprietor if we could sit out there and imbibe... she said, "Sure, everybody does!"

I never knew I was socializing with such law breaker!  I better not tell my wife - she might not let me go out anymore!!  Grin   Glad to see you got the sign indicating it is a crime in the background of your pic.

The road goes on forever and the party never ends - Robert Earl Keen
Email   IP Logged
FrankB

rbent member

Reply #3 - May 19th, 2013, 3:42pm

It was a good ride,  
it was the second annual one and this year it doubled in number of riders to 200.  
Sure like going to small town rides (Clifton is actually bigger than Glen Rose where I live).......the volunteers are always friendly and helpful plus the routes are on roads that you would never see unless on a ride such as the Tour de Norway.  

It was good to meet Dave Hansen  and see Paul again---they all passed me before we hardly got away from the start line.  Also was able to get acquainted with the couple---but not by name---from Plano on their Catrikes.

I rode with him on the 45 mile route.  I hope he is able to perfect the visor he made that they were sporting.  I will sign up for at least a couple if he does.

Frank Barrow
Everyday is Saturday

2007 Lightning P-38 (new 01/2009)
  IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #4 - May 22nd, 2013, 10:22pm

The name "Clifton" rang a bell as i read this. About 15 miles west of Valley Mills - the destination of the Jailhouse 200k; Clifton itself, a stop on the Willow Park 400k. It would be great to do this ride as a stand alone 60 or 80 mile ride. But on the 400k, it's about mile 125, after having fought headwind and climbed steep hills. The departure from Clifton is an immediate climb, often with crosswinds. How refreshing it would be to do this climb without the preceding 125! Maybe next year I can sample what it would be like to ride down in this beautiful area without being in the  middle of some big long brevet!

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print