Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Oct 13th, 2024, 3:30pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Kickstand on Musashi (Read 4718 times)
Patti
Five Star Member

rbent member

Kickstand on Musashi
Apr 2nd, 2013, 12:46pm

Ok. I know this is an absolute heresy to some, however, I hate having a really nice bike that I have to lay down or always be trying to lean on something. Is there a way to put one on a Musashi?

IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Kickstand on Musashi
Reply #1 - Apr 2nd, 2013, 2:54pm

No, no don't do it, Patti! Think of all that extra weight. You can always find something to lean it on.  Smiley

Does this mean you have bought that red Musashi, or are very close to doing so?

Email   IP Logged
Patti
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #2 - Apr 2nd, 2013, 3:35pm

Yep. Its all mine.  

Jay, I refuse to get caught up in all that "weight weenie" stuff. Hostel Shoppe tells me that their Volae Kickstand Gizmo "might" work but I'd rather know for certain before I order one.  

« Last Edit: Apr 2nd, 2013, 3:44pm by Patti »  
  IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - Apr 2nd, 2013, 4:16pm

Quote from Patti on Apr 2nd, 2013, 3:35pm:
Yep. Its all mine.

Jay, I refuse to get caught up in all that "weight weenie" stuff. Hostel Shoppe tells me that their Volae Kickstand Gizmo "might" work but I'd rather know for certain before I order one.

Welcome to the club. You're really going to like that bike. My Musashi is my bike for life.

The only Musashi owner I know that has a kickstand on his bike is Grady B. Called him and he told me he got his from Jack at RBM, Richardson. He said he thought it was a Cannondale product. It looks like this: http://www.cannondale.com/2012-eileen-2-kickstand-21898.

When you get the boom set for your X-seam check to be sure there are no crank strike issues. If there is any crank strike, you might want to install a 155 mm or shorter triple. Since I installed short cranks on my Musashi, I have not gone down on the bike. Used to be a regular occurrence.

Email   IP Logged
freakflyer9999

Reply #4 - Apr 2nd, 2013, 8:44pm

http://www.click-stand.com/  

I think Oliver has one of these.

Kenny G
Bacchetta Cafe <SOLD>
Terratrike Cruiser
Bacchetta Strada
  IP Logged
Patti
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #5 - Apr 2nd, 2013, 11:24pm

Thanks, gentlemen. Those both look like good options. The Cannondale style is what I am hoping will work. Must better than those traditional greenfield types.  

Jay, I'm not certain I'm going to have to make any changes to the boom. It seems really close to just right, right now. I have no clue what size cranks are on it. I looked but didn't locate a size anywhere.

IP Logged
Mizta_Nice

rbent member

Reply #6 - Apr 3rd, 2013, 6:48am

I like the click stand because I can just keep it in my bag until I need it, then it just snaps open like magic. There is one other piece beside the stand, a rubber band that stays on my hand grips to hold the brake when parked.

"Slow and steady wins the race" is what all us slow and steady people say when we don't win the race.
WWW   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7 - Apr 3rd, 2013, 1:05pm

Quote from Patti on Apr 2nd, 2013, 11:24pm:
Thanks, gentlemen. Those both look like good options. The Cannondale style is what I am hoping will work. Must better than those traditional greenfield types.

Jay, I'm not certain I'm going to have to make any changes to the boom. It seems really close to just right, right now. I have no clue what size cranks are on it. I looked but didn't locate a size anywhere.

Patti, if your crankset is the same as that in the below photo, it's the 165 mm SRAM Rival compact crankset (50T/34T) that was standard on the Musashi. Look on the backside of the crank arms, near the threaded pedal holes, and you will see "165" stamped in the metal.

The Musashi's horizontal rear stay is 32 mm in diameter and the upper stay 26 mm. The Cannondale kickstand looks exactly like the kickstand on Grady's Musashi, however, the specs for it say it is designed for flat-sided tubes up to 23 mm thick. Maybe RBM used longer screws to adapt the kickstand to Grady's bike.

Email   IP Logged
Patti
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #8 - Apr 3rd, 2013, 1:09pm

Quote from Mizta_Nice on Apr 3rd, 2013, 6:48am:
I like the click stand because I can just keep it in my bag until I need it, then it just snaps open like magic. There is one other piece beside the stand, a rubber band that stays on my hand grips to hold the brake when parked.

That looks like my second option if I cannot get an attachable one that is functional yet unobtrusive.

IP Logged
Patti
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #9 - Apr 3rd, 2013, 1:34pm

Jay, this bike has a triple front (52-42-30), with an Origin 8 crankset. I looked where I expected to find a size, but only found a code: A09145. Mike must have made some changes for her when she bought it.  I'll just have to bring it by and let you look at it sometime. Smiley

Quote from jayg on Apr 3rd, 2013, 1:05pm:
Patti, if your crankset is the same as that in the below photo, it's the 165 mm SRAM Rival compact crankset (50T/34T) that was standard on the Musashi. Look on the backside of the crank arms, near the threaded pedal holes, and you will see "165" stamped in the metal.

The Musashi's horizontal rear stay is 32 mm in diameter and the upper stay 26 mm. The Cannondale kickstand looks exactly like the kickstand on Grady's Musashi, however, the specs for it say it is designed for flat-sided tubes up to 23 mm thick. Maybe RBM used longer screws to adapt the kickstand to Grady's bike. http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/af339/jayg_2010/DSC00110_zpsab0cd8c4.jpg  

IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #10 - Apr 3rd, 2013, 2:51pm

Quote from Patti on Apr 3rd, 2013, 1:34pm:
Jay, this bike has a triple front (52-42-30), with an Origin 8 crankset. I looked where I expected to find a size, but only found a code: A09145. Mike must have made some changes for her when she bought it.  I'll just have to bring it by and let you look at it sometime. Smiley

Quote from jayg on Apr 3rd, 2013, 1:05pm:

The Musashi's horizontal rear stay is 32 mm in diameter and the upper stay 26 mm. The Cannondale kickstand looks exactly like the kickstand on Grady's Musashi, however, the specs for it say it is designed for flat-sided tubes up to 23 mm thick. Maybe RBM used longer screws to adapt the kickstand to Grady's bike. http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/af339/jayg_2010/DSC00110_zpsab0cd8c4.jpg  

I have an Origin 8 crankset with "B09155" stamped on the crank arms. It has 155 mm arms. Your crankset apparently has 145 mm arms. If you have real strong legs, maybe you can live with the installed chain rings. If not, you will need to spin to get some torque, and that means you will need chainrings with reduced tooth count. My Musashi's crankset has 148 mm arms and the chainrings are: 48T/38T/24T.

Email   IP Logged
JimFPU
Five Star Member

RBENT member, now in
Virginia.  I miss
Texas!

Reply #11 - Apr 4th, 2013, 12:35pm

With all this chainring and tooth count talk, can you offer a riders simple versiion of what it all does?  Shocked

Here is GA, looks like I'm gonna be climbing A L.O.T. when I catually get back to riding (old/new house remodeling...)

'13 Bluevelo carbon Quest QB 74 - The Flaming Eyeball
'12 ICE Sprint X 26

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_cUvLNb9JJ6UAQkw7KYDQw

Store: https://flaming-eyeball-graphics.square.site
WWW   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #12 - Apr 4th, 2013, 4:16pm

Jim, the relation between teeth on the ring and on the cassette is related to your ability to produce power, which is dependent  on the pedaling speed.  Jay's reference to crank length referred to the Musashi's succeptibility to foot strike (or even crank strike) on the front wheel when turning,  but crank length also affects the torque you can generate.  This has been discussed before.  A good reference is  www.sheldonbrown.com  .  For instance, for hill climbing, his gear calculator will tell you what speed you can generate with different gear and wheel combinations.  Patti, for example, using the 30 front/32 rear combination on her new Musashi, can spin up hills at 6.8 mph if she can maintain 90 rpm.  Playing around with Sheldon's calculator is fun, using your bike's specs, and 'what if?' situations.  You can see if you need different hardware (or just more time on the bike), and why some gear changes just don't seem to work well for you.

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV a
Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #13 - Apr 4th, 2013, 5:40pm

Quote from JimFPU on Apr 4th, 2013, 12:35pm:
With all this chainring and tooth count talk, can you offer a riders simple versiion of what it all does?  Shocked

Here is GA, looks like I'm gonna be climbing A L.O.T. when I catually get back to riding (old/new house remodeling...)

When crank arms are shortened there is a loss of mechanical advantage. Going to lower tooth counts on the chainrings helps regain some of that lost advantage. Lower tooth count chainrings also let you ride on the smaller cogs of the cassette where the tooth counts are closer together. That way you don't bog down as much when you upshift, as you're trying to gain speed. With a 700cx28 tire and a 52T/15T gear combo, a theoretical velocity of 23 mph would be achieved at an 83 cadence. With a 48T/15T combo it would take a 90 cadence to achieve the same velocity. The general recommendation for a crankset with short crank arms is to spin it up. According to an article by Ken Mierke, titled: "Cycling Cadence and Pedaling Economy", spinning at higher cadences reduces the watts-per-pedal-stroke, and makes the workload more tolerable for the muscles. Works for me. Haven't noticed significant degradation of my performance, due to the short cranks. The main reason I went to short cranks was to stop the knee pain I was experiencing, which they did. Elimination of crank strike on my Musashi was a secondary benefit. Don't have any hip pain from going down on the bike, anymore.  

With your long and strong legs there would be no need for you to go to short cranks. Your best bet might be to install a mountain bike crankset (and/or mountain bike cassette), like Kenny and I did on his GRR. These cranksets have lower tooth count rings than a road bike triple has. A downside to installing one of these cranksets is you would probably spin out in the big ring, if you pedaled down steep hills, instead of coasting. Kenny's crankset didn't cost over $40 and the bottom bracket not over $30.

Email   IP Logged
shellbear

Reply #14 - Apr 10th, 2013, 10:17am

Quote from freakflyer9999 on Apr 2nd, 2013, 8:44pm:
http://www.click-stand.com/  

I think Oliver has one of these.

I love this, I am putting it on my wish list!  Smiley

"As soon as you're born you start dying, so you might as well have a good time." -Cake
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print