Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 29th, 2024, 1:21am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
White Rock speed laps thread (Read 3770 times)
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

White Rock speed laps thread
Mar 29th, 2013, 3:17pm

Granted, riding around White Rock Lake isn't necessarily the best location for "time trialing," given the multi-use aspect of the place -- but it's certainly nice for speed in lots of places, and the ~9 mile loop is certainly challenging.

I was out at White Rock this morning, and after doing a regular lap, decided to do a "speed lap" based partially on what Tony and others recently posted about the "30-minute lap goal"...  However, I was also concerned about pedestrians and overall safety.  So, I came up with this counterclockwise run, which helps reduce the number of people you have to pass (or pass close to) --  

Start on the west side on Lawther Drive, right where the trail access comes out onto the road.  Zero out your computer, and hit it!

Follow the road south, all the way out, not turning onto the railroad bed paved stretch - instead, stay on West Lawther, climbing the "Dolly Parton" hills, turning right and going down to Winstead, and over to the 7-11

At the 7-11, get back on the path, climb the spillway, and stay on the path and street  for the normal route along the east side, finishing right where the path from the footbridge comes out on East Lawther.

I rode it, and braked to a quick stop right at the finish point, and read my computer.  According to RideWithGPS, this is 8.7 miles.  According to my bike computer, it's 8.5 miles.  What I LIKE about it, is that it totally avoids the footbridge and winding path at the north end, which is often crowded with walkers and other cyclists.  Yes, there are a couple stop signs on West Lawther, and a bit of hill climbing.

May I be so presumptuous as to suggest this be the "standard" speed loop (or speed 'U'), in reference to those wanting to do that kind of self-measurement at White Rock?  If so, ride the "U", and use this thread to post your runs...  And like I tell the GDB folks about the monthly Mesquite Time Trial that I'm trying to revive, you're not competing against others, you're competing against YOURSELF through the course of the season!

Again, be careful out there -- we're playing in traffic, and WRL is multi-use...  be smart, and obey applicable traffic laws...   Smiley

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Re: White Rock speed laps thread
Reply #1 - Mar 29th, 2013, 3:26pm

3/29/13 - 11:00AM ish   Wind: 10-15mph S    Temp: mild

Dist: 8.5 mi
Time: 24 min 4 sec
Avg:  21.2 mph

Tough run southbound into the wind!  But, I was at the 7-11 at the 11 minute mark.

« Last Edit: Mar 29th, 2013, 10:08pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

power_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #2 - Mar 29th, 2013, 7:11pm

I did clock wise three yrs ago in 35 min flat with the thunderbolt.

Keep Pedaling,the power coming
Midracer being built
Homebuilt Bike X orange
Homebuilt Squared High Racer (20")
Catrike Expedition ( Red)
Wife: Sun Tadpole Trike
Email   IP Logged
TonyWard
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - Mar 29th, 2013, 7:47pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Mar 29th, 2013, 3:17pm:
I was also concerned about pedestrians and overall safety.

Doesn't that take all the fun out of it?  Also, don't forget about doing stupid stuff like passing cars while riding in oncoming traffic.   Smiley

Luckily that lowracer is now gone.... Smiley  

The road goes on forever and the party never ends - Robert Earl Keen
Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #4 - Apr 1st, 2013, 3:49pm

My fastest lap was on the LeMond when I was barely sixty years old!  Then I went from Scout Hill parking lot, clockwise, using the road as much as possible, and the finish was over the Mockingbird bike lane, for 9.7 miles.  PB was 30:36, for 19.0 mph.  My fastest 'bent lap is just over 34 minutes for the roadier 9.5 mile lap, about 16.7 mph.  These are typically weekday afternoons, with light traffic.  I expect Jay and Slack Sails to challenge me to improve on that this summer!   Smiley

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV a
Email   IP Logged
mleuck
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #5 - Apr 2nd, 2013, 10:15pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Mar 29th, 2013, 3:26pm:
3/29/13 - 11:00AM ish   Wind: 10-15mph S    Temp: mild

Dist: 8.5 mi
Time: 24 min 4 sec
Avg:  21.2 mph

Tough run southbound into the wind!  But, I was at the 7-11 at the 11 minute mark.

I've done literally several thousand laps by now at the lake, only went counter-clockwise 2 or 3 laps. It's a lot faster in my opinion to go clockwise.

1. My loop is 9.5 miles, not sure why it's longer than yours but it's from the Garmin so I assume it's correct.
2. I stay on the road at the west side with the exception of the south-west part. (see #3)
3. I used to do the Dolly Partons but they added an additional stop sign and every now and then they have cops nailing cyclists running them (which everyone tends to do including me). It's actually more fun taking the old railroad track bike trail which doesn't have that many pedestrians and it's a solid climb.
4. There is no #4
5. Most of the Lance wannabe's stay on the west side but many times the east side is faster especially from Big Thicket all the way to Winfried Point.
6. The best time to hit the lake is Tuesday through Thursday when the Lance wannabe's come out to play. I don't care much for doing it on the weekends, too much traffic and pedestrians.
7. My best is 22.8 average with 4 laps a few years ago but the wind has to be just right to do it (if I recall it was from the northwest that day which tends to be shielded by the neighborhood trees, hills and houses. I haven't been able to that kind of speed since.
6. Speed is addictive at that lake, I've tried riding slow but just can't do it. Passing roadies is way too much fun.

« Last Edit: Apr 2nd, 2013, 10:17pm by mleuck »  
  IP Logged
TonyWard
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #6 - Apr 3rd, 2013, 3:03pm

Quote from mleuck on Apr 2nd, 2013, 10:15pm:
7. My best is 22.8 average with 4 laps a few years ago but the wind has to be just right to do it (if I recall it was from the northwest that day which tends to be shielded by the neighborhood trees, hills and houses. I haven't been able to that kind of speed since.

hmmm........ interesting   Smiley

I have done some projections ......... better watch out Mark.

Grin  *This is what Data Analysts do when they have free time at work

Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #7 - Apr 3rd, 2013, 7:09pm

Well, if there's no consensual rush to "standardize", ride whatever lap course you feel is appropriate for conditions at the time...  Go get 'em!   Smiley

mleuck
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #8 - Apr 5th, 2013, 2:22pm

Quote from TonyWard on Apr 3rd, 2013, 3:03pm:
Quote from mleuck on Apr 2nd, 2013, 10:15pm:

hmmm........ interesting   Smiley

I have done some projections ......... better watch out Mark.

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m531/a_mward/SpeedvsAge_zpsda90e73c.jpg

Grin  *This is what Data Analysts do when they have free time at work

I will fondly remember this chart and speak of it quite loudly the next time I fly past you...

IP Logged
TonyWard
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #9 - Apr 5th, 2013, 3:56pm

But I think you will have to slow down to get it all out.  Smiley

Email   IP Logged
shellbear

Reply #10 - Apr 10th, 2013, 10:22am

I almost always go clockwise too (going down the spillway hill is fun) and ALWAYS avoid the foot-bridges on the north side.  They're a gauntlet!  Perhaps I will try this counter-clockwise route, not that I could beat you guys!  Ha ha.

"As soon as you're born you start dying, so you might as well have a good time." -Cake
  IP Logged
jdorlon

rbent member

Reply #11 - Apr 16th, 2013, 2:03pm

Ride with GPS has a cool feature where you can select a segment of your ride, and it will compare your time against others who have ridden that segment and uploaded.   It's a fun way to 'virtually compete' with others who have ridden that same segment (even if they didn't mark it as a segment).

Full details are here.
http://ridewithgps.com/segments/help

Uploading rides to Ride with GPS is as simple as emailing a GPX file to upload@rwgps.com.

Since I've started using this, certain segments of my rides are now "sprint zones", and I am really motivated to go as fast as I can to see if I can move up in the ranks!

I am not affiliated with them in any way....this thread just reminded me of that feature.

John D.
Cruzbike Vendetta 2.0
Cruzbike Silvio 1.5
  IP Logged
mleuck
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #12 - Apr 28th, 2013, 8:08pm

Here's my clockwise 21 average from yesterday, nobody around to race so I had to play with several cars on the west side.

I take the old railroad bike path north instead of taking the Dolly Partons because they added an additional stop sign and I've had enough tickets over the years.  

« Last Edit: Apr 28th, 2013, 8:09pm by mleuck »  
  IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #13 - Apr 29th, 2013, 7:06am

I anticipated this... I run a 21mph single lap, and Mark does FOUR and averages 21...  and 23 on his fourth lap! Smiley  Nicely done!  You REALLY need to consider the TTTT this year, pal...

« Last Edit: Apr 29th, 2013, 7:07am by FlyingLaZBoy »  

FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #14 - Apr 29th, 2013, 7:10am

Quote from jdorlon on Apr 16th, 2013, 2:03pm:
Ride with GPS has a cool feature where you can select a segment of your ride, and it will compare your time against others who have ridden that segment and uploaded.... http://ridewithgps.com/segments/help

It reminds me of the joke that, when you used to see people walking down the street talking to nobody, you figured they were a crazy person -- now they're just talking on a bluetooth phone.

Now, you see somebody pedaling like mad down a street or path, and think, "why are they hammering like that, here?"   They're "virtual racing"...   Smiley

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print