Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 11:19pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
HOT Rally (Read 3134 times)
Patti
Five Star Member

rbent member

HOT Rally
Feb 25th, 2013, 12:31pm

Just got back from a busy HOT Rally weekend in Austin. We were fortunate that the weather held and, although it was a little chilly in the morning hours, the temps were overall pretty comfortable, the winds reasonably calm and the sun felt very nice. The event had a very nice turnout with Chonk from Terra Trike as our special guest speaker. He and Luke, one of their sales reps, brought along a new trike to allow folks to test ride. Promised to not post any photos but it is a burly, off road trike for folks who want to take their triking to more adventurous locations than streets and pathways.

Saturday's rides were very well attended and came off with only one casualty - a trike endo on the scenic ride that required stitches for the rider. A true trooper, she declined treatment until after she finished the ride.  

The rodeo on Sunday came complete with clowns, a cow, and the local news. RBENT's own Urbinrider brought home the trophy for his spectacular barrel racing skills in the bike division. Mike Russell, from the Denton area cleaned up, collecting all three trophies in the trike divisions. I don't know if Mike is an RBENT member but he definitely needs to be. Additionally, RBENT members did very well with door prizes, bringing home several very nice items including rechargeable headlights, full tire sets, helmets, and other assorted bike bling. Some folks came home with a little extra bling- Hubzone acquired a new Musashi and my own dear husband acquired a very gently used Expedition. If anyone knows of someone who would like an inexpensive starter trike, his TW Bent is now being spruced up at Easy Street and will be for sale shortly.

For those of you that couldn't make it this year, we were very much missed and we hope to see you all next year.

IP Logged
freakflyer9999

Re: HOT Rally
Reply #1 - Feb 25th, 2013, 1:14pm

This was the first year for my wife and I to attend the HOT Rally.  Both of us thoroughly enjoyed the people at the HOT Rally.  We got to know prior acquaintances better and met many new friends that we hope to see at future events.  Everyone was generous of their time, equipment and conversation.

We had a great time not only during the event itself but especially during the social hours at the hotel and dinner both nights.  

As Patti stated there were some great door prizes and raffle items.  I won one of each, but actually didn't keep either.  My wife commandeered the Reverse Gear Jersey that I won as a door prize and since Urbinrider wouldn't let me just give him the light set I won in the raffle supporting ARFA, I sold it to him for $10.  I guess that I did come home with $5 profit from the raffle, since the raffle ticket only cost me $5.

Patti was great riding sweep on the Semi-tough ride, but the highlight of the weekend was her COW impression.  She could have a career as a COW impersonator.  

The rodeo was great fun.  We should organize a North Texas Recumbent Rodeo.  Maybe try to get some news coverage in the DFW area as the Hot did in the Austin area.  

The Terratrike announcement was exciting.  It was great to see what they've been working on announced here in Texas, but the announcement I'm most excited about was from the mouth of Mike, owner of Easystreet.  Though he stated that his plans are still a year or more off, he is planning on expanding Easystreet to other cities.  Hopefully we can campaign for him to bring a store to North Texas.  I personally vote for a location near the Trinity Trails, but Whiterock Lake or ????? would be great as well.

Kenny G
Bacchetta Cafe <SOLD>
Terratrike Cruiser
Bacchetta Strada
  IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #2 - Feb 25th, 2013, 3:59pm

Mike is definitely an RBENT member!

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
texpug
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - Feb 25th, 2013, 4:27pm

Wow what great write ups!!! It was SO MUCH FUN at the HOT. We had 4 velomobiles rolling in the Warriors ride. Every shape, form and fashion turned up to ride with us.  

Kenny gets HUGE credit for leading the Scenic ride. He was a vital part in making the HOT a success.  

Patti so unselfishly did double duty as a cow and rider in the Rodeo, She is the BEST. And she managed to get the Semi Tough riders back safely riding Sweep.  

Check out the incredible photos taken by Stev "Nice Legs" Wood from San Antonio. I think you will get the feel of just how much fun that rodeo was! (Yes, I am hoarse today from all the whooping I did urging the riders to PEDAL during that rodeo!)

Many thanks to all who came and made the HOT the truly special event that is was. See y'all next year!  

http://www.yourpaparazzo.com/YourPaparazzo.com/Recent_Shoots/Pages/HOT_Rally.htm l#57

« Last Edit: Feb 25th, 2013, 10:29pm by texpug »  

Catrike 700
Catrike Speed
Terra Trike Tandem Pro IPS
  IP Logged
Bent_Vision

rbent member

Reply #4 - Feb 25th, 2013, 4:46pm

All I can say is wow, what a great time! Thanks to everyone for everything they did to put this together. It was so much fun!!!!! I have the trophy's on the shelf and am humbled that everyone let the new guy win. Smiley

On a serious note, I want to say a big thank you to all those that asked how my wife was doing from her crash on Saturday and a super huge thank you to those that helped us get her bandaged up and back on the trike since she insisted on finishing the ride. She's doing really well considering (8 stiches to the chin and some bumps and bruises) and she keeps telling me how wonderful everyone was and how thanksful she is for everyone waiting on her. She's a real trooper and is ready to go again next year.  Smiley

Mike Russell

Mike Russell - Lake Dallas
Email   IP Logged
texpug
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #5 - Feb 25th, 2013, 10:36pm

Mike you were AWESOME at that rodeo!!!! You made that Speed FLY in those 3 events!!!! Warning: you now have a target on your back -- people will be GUNNING for you next year at the rodeo!!! Smiley It was a BLAST watching that rodeo!!!!!!

Bless Debbie's heart. What a trooper! Not one time did she feel sorry for herself being so bunged up. And I felt terrible making her talk and laugh with that poor chin killing her!  

I heard Evan, Rowan, and Rod had a BLAST riding at the BMX park during the rodeo! Hope he had a fun time at the HOT!!!

Keep those trophies dusted! You should be VERY proud of your performance at the First Annual Heart of Texas Recumbent Rodeo!!!

Be looking to set new records at the rodeo next year!

Catrike 700
Catrike Speed
  IP Logged
freakflyer9999

Reply #6 - Feb 26th, 2013, 6:57am

Our very own Cow Patti

Kenny G
Bacchetta Cafe <SOLD>
Terratrike Cruiser
Bacchetta Strada
  IP Logged
texpug
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7 - Feb 26th, 2013, 7:41am

Now THAT'S funny Kenny! ha ha ha ha

Catrike 700
Catrike Speed
  IP Logged
Patti
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #8 - Feb 26th, 2013, 1:06pm

Quote from freakflyer9999 on Feb 25th, 2013, 1:14pm:

Patti was great riding sweep on the Semi-tough ride, but the highlight of the weekend was her COW impression.  She could have a career as a COW impersonator.

Well, I just have to point out that it is REALLY easy to ride sweep when you are the slowest member of the group! Of course, that's why I volunteered for the job. And that cow thing - just a little something I had hanging in the closet. My husband just LOVES being known as the guy married to the
 cow...   Smiley

IP Logged
testersbc

rbent member

Reply #9 - Feb 26th, 2013, 4:39pm

in the pics looks like a camera crew was there?  did it make the local news?

Email   IP Logged
texpug
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #10 - Feb 26th, 2013, 8:13pm

Yes it did! The crew came out and filmed!

Catrike 700
Catrike Speed
  IP Logged
shellbear

Reply #11 - Feb 28th, 2013, 8:37pm

I had such a great time at the rally too!!  Spectacular event with the nicest folks around.  :-D

"As soon as you're born you start dying, so you might as well have a good time." -Cake
  IP Logged
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #12 - Feb 28th, 2013, 10:35pm

Will there be any video of the event?  Sounds like the HOT is more and more fun every year!   Congratulations, Texpug, Mike, and all the preparers. Smiley

"You can't see paradise if you don't pedal!"
T.J. Fowler -- Chicken Run
  IP Logged
Patti
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #13 - Mar 1st, 2013, 2:29pm

Yep. Video man toils without rest. By the way IF there is anyone else who shot video or photos at the HOT who would be willing to share them, Video man would be very happy to get copies of them, especially on SD card or CD.

IP Logged
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #14 - Mar 3rd, 2013, 3:05pm

Quote from Patti on Mar 1st, 2013, 2:29pm:
Yep. Video man toils without rest. By the way IF there is anyone else who shot video or photos at the HOT who would be willing to share them, Video man would be very happy to get copies of them, especially on SD card or CD.

Send me your address, (PM?), and I will send you one or the other.  Thanks!
Sure did miss being there.   Smiley

« Last Edit: Mar 3rd, 2013, 3:06pm by Action Lad »  

"You can't see paradise if you don't pedal!"
T.J. Fowler -- Chicken Run
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print