Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Oct 12th, 2024, 11:37am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
SRAM X.0 10-Speed Grip Shifter (Read 4939 times)
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

SRAM X.0 10-Speed Grip Shifter
Sep 23rd, 2012, 8:51pm

Riding my Baron low racer has never been a completely pleasant experience, because my right leg contacts either the shifter or my fingers. The problem is that the Baron is designed for long-legged riders, not height-challenged riders like myself. I have tried trigger shifters and friction shifters, but the problem persists. The tiller's length is adjustable, but it's uncomfortable if I move it closer to my chest. Recently noticed that SRAM offers a 10-speed grip shifter, so I ordered one for $134. Received it yesterday and attempted to install it today. Big problem - The assembly is 3" longer than a 9-speed shifter assembly, and will not fit a Baron's preying mantis handlebar. The instructions say to not disassemble the shifter. That's fine, but the shifter is not a sealed unit, and came apart when I tried to pull it off the Baron's handle bar. Sproing!!!!! Took it inside the house to try to figure out how to put it back together. Finally figured out how to fit the spring back into it when, sproing, the spring flies across the kitchen and disappears. An hour and a half later I find it in the bottom of a grocery bag full of newspapers. Put the shifter back together, but it is locked up. This is supposed to be a high quality shifter (X.0 line), but I'm not impressed by the fact that almost the whole mechanism is made of plastic. The only metal components are the return coil spring and the detent leaf spring. The assembly is way too long and has too many separate parts. Good design or poor design? The only other thing I have to say is: ARGGGGG!!!

10-speed friction shifter installed on Baron.

SRAM X.0 10-speed grip shifter installed on Baron. End of grip has a clamp, but Baron's handlebar is too short for clamp to be effective.

SRAM X.0 shifter - lots of parts.

Sproing!!! The shifter came apart when tried to pull it off the Baron's handlebar.

Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Re: SRAM X.0 10-Speed Grip Shifter
Reply #1 - Sep 27th, 2012, 9:42am

What walks down stairs, alone or in pairs
and makes a slinkity sound?
A spring, a spring, a marvelous thing!
Everyone knows it's Slinky.
It's Slinky, it's Slinky,
It's fun, it's a wonderful toy.
It's Slinky, it's Slinky, it's fun,
It's a wonderful toy.
It's fun for a girl or a boy.

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #2 - Sep 27th, 2012, 3:18pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Sep 27th, 2012, 9:42am:
What walks down stairs, alone or in pairs
and makes a slinkity sound?
A spring, a spring, a marvelous thing!
Everyone knows it's Slinky.
It's Slinky, it's Slinky,
It's fun, it's a wonderful toy.
It's Slinky, it's Slinky, it's fun,
It's a wonderful toy.
It's fun for a girl or a boy.

An $134 Slinky.  Cheesy

Email   IP Logged
johnnybent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - Sep 27th, 2012, 3:20pm

the recovery of a missing part is related to the rarity or cost of part.

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #4 - Oct 3rd, 2012, 8:59pm

Quote from jayg on Sep 23rd, 2012, 8:51pm:
Riding my Baron low racer has never been a completely pleasant experience, because my right leg contacts either the shifter or my fingers. The problem is that the Baron is designed for long-legged riders, not height-challenged riders like myself. I have tried trigger shifters and friction shifters, but the problem persists. The tiller's length is adjustable, but it's uncomfortable if I move it closer to my chest. Recently noticed that SRAM offers a 10-speed grip shifter, so I ordered one for $134. Received it yesterday and attempted to install it today. Big problem - The assembly is 3" longer than a 9-speed shifter assembly, and will not fit a Baron's preying mantis handlebar. The instructions say to not disassemble the shifter. That's fine, but the shifter is not a sealed unit, and came apart when I tried to pull it off the Baron's handle bar. Sproing!!!!! Took it inside the house to try to figure out how to put it back together. Finally figured out how to fit the spring back into it when, sproing, the spring flies across the kitchen and disappears. An hour and a half later I find it in the bottom of a grocery bag full of newspapers. Put the shifter back together, but it is locked up. This is supposed to be a high quality shifter (X.0 line), but I'm not impressed by the fact that almost the whole mechanism is made of plastic. The only metal components are the return coil spring and the detent leaf spring. The assembly is way too long and has too many separate parts. Good design or poor design? The only other thing I have to say is: ARGGGGG!!!

http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/af339/jayg_2010/DSC00628_zpsde714837.jpg
10-speed friction shifter installed on Baron.

http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/af339/jayg_2010/DSC00630_zpsea48f3b9.jpg
SRAM X.0 10-speed grip shifter installed on Baron. End of grip has a clamp, but Baron's handlebar is too short for clamp to be effective.

http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/af339/jayg_2010/DSC00627_zps76724c12.jpg
SRAM X.0 shifter - lots of parts.

http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/af339/jayg_2010/DSC00629_zps9f9e4f35.jpg
Sproing!!! The shifter came apart when tried to pull it off the Baron's handlebar.

My Baron has been sitting in the garage with no rear derailleur shifter, so I looked in my parts box and came up with a 10-speed SRAM TT500 bar end shifter.

Uh oh, the shifter won't fit into the end of the handlebar. Darn Optima specs a handlebar with a non-standard I.D.

Hmmm........need to ream the I.D. with a "precision" Harbor Freight adjustable reamer  Grin  Took a long time, but finally got the bar end to fit into the handlebar.

Hey, the shifter works like a charm, and my right knee doesn't contact anything at it's most rearward movement, like before.  Smiley  Now, I hope the bar end doesn't disembowel me if it's in the full down position and the bike happens to go down with me on it. If the bike does happen to go down on the right side, the shifter is probably going to be toast.

« Last Edit: Oct 3rd, 2012, 9:01pm by jayg »  
Email   IP Logged
jcsadowski
Five Star Member

Clown #1

Reply #5 - Oct 4th, 2012, 6:37pm

Quote:
"precision" Harbor Freight adjustable reamer

Isn't that an oxymoron ?

2009 Carbon fiber CA 2.0
2014 Schlitter Encore
Email WWW   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #6 - Oct 5th, 2012, 10:53am

I noticed yesterday, following you, that your hand placement on the Baron was noticeably unsymmetrical.  Now I know why.   Smiley

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV a
Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7 - Oct 5th, 2012, 12:26pm

Quote from rmillay on Oct 5th, 2012, 10:53am:
I noticed yesterday, following you, that your hand placement on the Baron was noticeably unsymmetrical.  Now I know why.   Smiley

I'm a shifty rider, so my hand's always on the bar end.  Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print