Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Oct 12th, 2024, 7:25am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New RANS hiracer "Rifle" (Read 7102 times)
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

New RANS hiracer "Rifle"
Sep 4th, 2012, 7:34am

So obviously we got to test ride the new ovalized-tube aluminum 700c hiracer during the RANS rally...  nicknamed "Rifle" for now.  It was announced as part of the 2013 lineup, weight of 23 pounds.

It rode very nicely, and is very responsive to acceleration and climbing.  They put the front brake behind the fork, for aero purposes...  Randy particularly described the large weld joint where the chainstays meet the main tube (although I didn't take a photo of it) as a contributor to vibration dampening.  Even with 700c wheels, i had no trouble reaching the ground...  and riding over the highway grooves outside the factory didn't shake my molars loose.

The idler is fairly high, mated into the main tube - this makes it nice and solid, and the driveside chainline isn't too far out of straight - nice.  However, having the idler that far up results in your thigh contacting it when you sit up at a stop.  Not a huge problem, and they will probably make a modification to it based upon feedback from the Rally testers to get it closer in to the frame to help this issue.

I'm not a hiracer guy, but I liked it, and definitely COULD be a hiracer guy... but it was mildly unsettling to not be able to see my front wheel -- I'm so used to LWBs!!!  Lynn rode it as well, so I'll encourage her to write up her impressions of it.  I think with higher-level components, it can approach 20 pounds or less!

« Last Edit: Sep 4th, 2012, 2:09pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
spudman1

rbent member

Re: New RANS hiracer "Rifle"
Reply #1 - Sep 4th, 2012, 10:25am

Thanks for the report.  These are the first pictures I've seen of the Rifle.  I understand there were some changes to the Xstream for the new year too.  

« Last Edit: Sep 4th, 2012, 10:26am by spudman1 »  
  IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Re: New RANS hiracer "Rifle"
Reply #2 - Sep 4th, 2012, 1:12pm

This will finally give Randy an answer to the Corsa, and even add a 700C option. I wonder if it will be priced comparably. I might consider one of these when it finally becomes time to retire my Corsa. But I'd probably stick with a Euromesh seat, which seems to suit me better than the Hoagie.

« Last Edit: Sep 4th, 2012, 1:13pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print