Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 11:19pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
RANS Rally 2012 (Read 4465 times)
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

RANS Rally 2012
Sep 4th, 2012, 6:40am

DAY ONE -- Dave Rothgeb, Lynn Morrow, Terrie and I went up to the RANS 2012 Rally in Hays, KS…  Thursday, we met at Dave’s to load the bikes – we put the Seavo tandem inside the van, running down the center, with luggage in back on one side and wheels and seats on the other.  It actually fit, with about a foot to spare!  We put Dave’s SXP and Lynn’s Corsa on the back on Dave’s rack, bungeeing a bit for stability, and left at 3PM.  We didn’t really have a plan to stay overnight somewhere, even though it’s a 550 mile drive – as we continued north at 80mph, and stopped for dinner north of OKC, we finally just decided to go all the way to Hays, and made reservations online. We arrived about 12:45AM, and the hotel didn’t have our reservations – but after a few phone calls, they found them and we settled in.

We woke up a bit before 8, texted Randy, and he suggested we meet him at IHOP – so we hustled out and did so!  After having breakfast with he and Michelle, we went to Randy’s house, changed into riding clothes, went over to the factory for a while, then went out ourselves for a 31 mile ride over to the DQ in Ellis and back – this was nice and relatively flat, and the limeades at DQ were nicely frozen.

By then it was 2:00, and people had started coming in for the afternoon Ice Cream ride.  I “snuck” back into the back to talk to Randy about the new designs, and they had all the 2013 models set up around the tabled back area, including the new Xstream and the “Rifle” hiracer in a white/orange color scheme.  They have also finally come out with a 3” longer Hoagie seat, which fits my torso perfectly!!!  Then Michelle caught me back there with Randy and teasingly gave me hell about it… so I scooted back out front.

The Ice Cream ride was fun, with reasonable temperatures – 30+ riders invaded the downtown Soda Shoppe for an hour or so, then toured about Hays afterwards, cruising the Ft Hays State campus and going over to see the original factory location for RANS Sailtrikes.  

Riding back to the factory gave us about 13 miles total, and everybody went out for their own for dinner – Dave, Lynn, Terrie and I went to Gella’s for food and that excellent Lemon Ale – we hadn’t eaten anything since breakfast!  After dinner we went back to Randy’s to hang out for a while before knocking out for the night – we had only gotten about 5 hours sleep the night before…

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Re: RANS Rally 2012
Reply #1 - Sep 4th, 2012, 6:43am

DAY TWO -- The Saturday Cathedral Ride was an out and back a bit different than before, rolling out at 8AM.  There were 40 or more attendees – a good crowd, some new, some returnees.  There were five tandem couples – three on Screamers, two on Seavos, including Andy from OKC and his new g/f riding a demo Seavo.  

It was a nice cool morning, with minimal wind – beautiful!  It was 21 miles out to the Cathedral – and once we got there, we spent some time inside, and Terrie, professional soprano that she is, launched into song just to hear the reverb of the room – which we got recorded <grin>.  

The ride back had one challenging climb, but very doable, and we finished with 43 miles.  At that point, a cookout was starting at the factory, with burgers, hotdogs, and cake followed by the show of what is new for 2013 and demo riding and factory tour.

New things for 2013 include:
•       New paint colors, including Cobalt Blue as well as Orange/White and Black/White
•      A “step through” Alterra, shown in Pink/White
•      An ovalized-tube change to the Xstream, including a 1-1/2” higher BB and the longer Hoagie seat – the combination rides VERY nicely, and weighs in at about 23 pounds.  The BB change also fixed the XS26 brake arm interference issue.
•      An ovalized-tube 700c hiracer, nicknamed the “Rifle” at the moment, again around 23 pounds as shown – but higher level components will drop the weight closer to 20, I believe
•      Offering both the Seavo and Screamer tandems and a couple other models in frameset only

Everybody test rode everything they could get their hands on, and Lynn tried a lot of bikes, too, including riding the back of both the Screamer and Seavo.  She liked the new hiracer a lot – I’ll let her write up a description to post later.  It felt very responsive to me, and I had no issues reaching the ground.  The modified Xstream is even more aerodynamic, and as responsive as ever.  Dave rode the Xstream, and instantly felt the difference between it and his Ti SXP, especially when we rode south into the afternoon winds.  It’s an even better bike than before!

The MTB track competition was delayed until 7PM, because it had gotten hot.   We went back to the house and chilled out by the pool for a while, went back to Gellas again to eat.  Mark from The Hub bike shop joined us – he is the new owner of the shop, which John sold to him earlier this year – so we talked about some of the changes he has made…  he’s having a very successful year so far, 3X more volume than last year.  We then went back out to the factory for the racing.  I rode an Alterra once around the course to re-familiarize myself with the course, then raced, and and I didn’t wipe out (which was the MAIN goal)!!  I was also not bested by an 8-yr old who rode the course – but not by much…  Top riders won tshirts, jerseys, and other swag, and everyone had a lot of fun.

The four of us then hooked up with Mark over at the Hub, and he showed us the changes to the shop.  He is also now a RANS dealer, and will offer their bikes as well as Bacchetta – he actually worked at RANS in the airplane side of things for a year or two.  He showed us the frame of a CA2 that had been t-boned by a car… ouch…

FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #2 - Sep 4th, 2012, 6:49am

DAY THREE -- The next morning’s Wilson ride started at 8, so Terrie and I packed up early, and the four of us went to IHOP for a pre-dawn breakfast before driving out to Wilson.  We started at the Railroad Hotel, and there were a couple options for this ride, because it was hilly – an out/back 15 miler or 22 miler, or a circle 24 or 32 miler.  We went for the full banana – not realizing what we were about to find…  but I knew there was at least one 8% and one 10% climb out there.

After a nice long downhill a few miles in, the first big climb was definitely tough and long, up past the point where you had the option to turn around or turn left.  We made the climb successfully, though!  This was followed by another excellent long downhill down to the dam on the north end (which we were obviously going to have to climb back up!).  Once we got there, there was another 8% optional climb up to the lookout point, which we passed on, although most others climbed up there.  I was already glad that I had put Accelerade in my drink bottles – I was gonna need it!

After a break, we started the climb back south – another tough one, about 9% and long, but again, we made it up, definitely in the lowest gear we had!  By this time, the wind was kicking up from the south, adding a headwind to the climb.  After this climb, there was an option to head back south to Wilson, or turn west, down a big downhill to a bridge.  We turned west, as most people did.  Then commenced a really tough 8 miles, with big downhills and 6-10% uphills – MUCH tougher than I had expected!  However, Terrie was amazing – she kept those pedals turning on those climbs, and didn’t freak out when I let the tandem coast downhill at 30+, even hitting 40 at one point (without telling her)…  

We made it up climb after climb, although it got to a point where I almost called a stop on two straight before reaching the top, but we completed them.  Then at Mile 21, I could see a real monster in front of us, and I just said “We’re not climbing this one…”  We went partially up it, then I stopped the bike, both of us getting off.  We started walking the bike up the hill, and Michelle appeared in her SAG truck – so I told Terrie to get in the truck, and I’d see her at the top!  I walked a bit further, then got on the bike and pedaled it up the rest of the climb, passing another tandem couple who had lower gearing, and were moving about 3 mph.  It was truly brutal…

At the top, Terrie got back on, and we continued on through the last few smaller hills, including powering through a short 8%er right at the end.  We paused for a break, and I let out a loud belch from drinking the Accelerade – and Terrie started laughing and couldn’t stop…  that’s when I knew she was truly OK…  and I am still amazed that we were able to climb all but one of those hills!!!!!  Tell you what, if you rode out there a couple times a week, the TTTT would be NOTHING!!!!

The rest of the ride south and east back to Wilson was uneventful, although into a stiff south wind.  We took a bathroom break at a local city park, and finally made it back to Wilson, not QUITE being the last ones to finish – and Dave and Lynn had ridden out a couple hundred yards to meet us.

Lunch was a buffet at the Railroad Hotel, with fried chicken and waffles…  mmmmmm…..   but we were all so sweaty and tired that Dave actually rented a room so we could shower and clean up before making the drive home!  VERY nice…    

And the 8-hour drive back from Wilson went smoothly, and listening to a book-on-CD espionage thriller helped keep the drivers awake on the way.  We dropped Lynn off at her place, said our goodbyes, then got back to Dave’s at 10:30PM, exhausted but happy.

It was an excellent trip with good friends and good riding.  There’s a possibility they will combine next years bike rally with their airplane fly-in, which would make it even MORE unique!  And Terrie can still walk, and is still smiling!  I’m very proud….  My wife rode 120 miles in three days, including some VERY tough climbing on the third day...   I'm amazed...   Tandems are a GOOD thing....

« Last Edit: Sep 4th, 2012, 2:07pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

artcat

rbent member

Reply #3 - Sep 4th, 2012, 12:59pm

Paul has covered the Rans Rally beautifully but did remark that I should give my thoughts on the new high racer "The Rifle".  I would say that it compares favorably with my Corsa SS.  It is quick and responsive.  I definitely  noticed the 3lb weight difference.  Also I thought I would have a problem with the seat height with 700 wheels but it was fine.  The only thing I found to be a problem was the location of the idler.  Rans has mounted it on the main tube just in front of the seat.  There is no way you can put your foot down without your thigh resting on it.  I told Randy that it was a problem and he agreed and was thinking where he could relocate it.
They were so nice at the Rally adjusting bikes to fit me so I could try everything.  I tried a Cruz crank forward bike and thought it would make a great neighborhood bike.  It was fun to ride and made me feel like I was 8yrs old.  I did not like the Screamer.  I could not feel connected to the captain on it and just felt like I was opposing every move he made to balance the bike. Not a comfortable feeling.  Then I got on the Seavo and felt totally in sync with the captain.  It was a very comfortable ride and with the right 2 people on it I bet it will really fly.
I had a great time.  We had good rides and with good people.  What fun.

Green Musashi
Bachetta Corsa SS
Black Catrike 700
  IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #4 - Sep 4th, 2012, 7:48pm

2013 X-Stream frameset + light wheels and 23 mm folding tires + carbon compact crankset + X9 trigger shifters + Rival derailleurs + 10-speed hollow pin chain + Rival 11-32 cassette + light brakes = one sweet WRL racer/cruiser.

« Last Edit: Sep 4th, 2012, 7:53pm by jayg »  
Email   IP Logged
JimFPU
Five Star Member

RBENT member, now in
Virginia.  I miss
Texas!

Reply #5 - Sep 4th, 2012, 8:31pm

Quote from jayg on Sep 4th, 2012, 7:48pm:
2013 X-Stream frameset + light wheels and 23 mm folding tires + carbon compact crankset + X9 trigger shifters + Rival derailleurs + 10-speed hollow pin chain + Rival 11-32 cassette + light brakes = one sweet WRL racer/cruiser.

I know, I know...

'13 Bluevelo carbon Quest QB 74 - The Flaming Eyeball
'12 ICE Sprint X 26

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_cUvLNb9JJ6UAQkw7KYDQw

Store: https://flaming-eyeball-graphics.square.site
WWW   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #6 - Sep 4th, 2012, 8:45pm

Quote from JimFPU on Sep 4th, 2012, 8:31pm:

I know, I know...

You buy the frameset and I'll furnish the other components. We can keep it in my garage, so there will be no chance of a surrey top being installed on it. You can come down and ride it at WRL every now and then (Not on Tuesdays and Thursdays, though, because I'll be riding it on the Clown Ride).  Cheesy

Email   IP Logged
JimFPU
Five Star Member

RBENT member, now in
Virginia.  I miss
Texas!

Reply #7 - Sep 4th, 2012, 9:12pm

It must get some surrey time and it will be a deal my friend and mentor!

'12 ICE Sprint X 26

WWW   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #8 - Sep 5th, 2012, 3:04pm

2013 X-Stream frame set + light wheels and 23 mm folding tires + carbon compact crankset + X9 trigger shifters + Rival derailleurs + 10-speed hollow pin chain + Rival 11-32 cassette + light brakes = one sweet WRL racer/cruiser.

Ran out some figures on how much it would cost a shade tree mechanic to build the above bike, using mostly E-Bay components. Components' cost - $1,117. Components' weight ~ 12 lbs. Frameset cost - $1,895. Total Cost - $3,012. Frame set includes fork, headset, stem, handlebar, idler, and Hoagie seat assembly.

According to a BROL article (http://bentrideronline.com/?p=7641) the bike will be available from RANS only as a frame set. A LBS build-up, using retail-priced components, might cost in excess of $3, 500. Hopefully, RANS will offer complete bikes in the future.  

Email   IP Logged
JimFPU
Five Star Member

RBENT member, now in
Virginia.  I miss
Texas!

Reply #9 - Sep 5th, 2012, 3:15pm

Yes I was noticing that as well Jay.  May mean I'll have to find a different used one around somewhere...there is one on BROL right now for $2K, non-negotiable...

http://www.bentrideronline.com/messageboard/showthread.php?t=88585

« Last Edit: Sep 5th, 2012, 4:04pm by JimFPU »  

'12 ICE Sprint X 26

WWW   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #10 - Sep 5th, 2012, 3:40pm

Quote from JimFPU on Sep 5th, 2012, 3:15pm:
Yes I was noticing that as well Jay.  May mean I'll have to find a differnt used one around somewhere...therre is one on BROL right now for $2K, non-negotible...

http://www.bentrideronline.com/messageboard/showthread.php?t=88585

Sounds like a really good deal. Those American Classic wheelsets are not cheap.

« Last Edit: Sep 5th, 2012, 9:41pm by jayg »  
Email   IP Logged
JimFPU
Five Star Member

RBENT member, now in
Virginia.  I miss
Texas!

Reply #11 - Sep 5th, 2012, 4:05pm

Only a good deal if you have the cash ready... Sad  Have to sell some stuff...

'12 ICE Sprint X 26

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print