Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 11:28pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
HHH (Read 10396 times)
freakflyer9999

Re: HHH
Reply #15 - Aug 26th, 2012, 6:45pm

Well, I did my first 100 miler.  Breezed thru the first 50 before taking a break.  Around 65 my knees started giving me hell so I iced them down at the 70 and 80 mile stops.  Made a quick stop at the base rest stop and headed on into the finish.  Other than the wind it was actually an easy ride.

Patti, I passed you but it was on one of the flat stretches where the crowd didn't have me blocked in so I went on by without saying hi.  Had to get my speed where I could.  

About mile 75 a 69 yo guy on a Catrike rode with me for a while and chatted before he left me as we turned into the wind.  I never caught up to him again.

Next year I'm going to train more for this ride.  I did three 100k's in July but didn't ride more than 30 or 40 in Aug.  

Kenny G
Bacchetta Cafe <SOLD>
Terratrike Cruiser
Bacchetta Strada
  IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #16 - Aug 26th, 2012, 10:15pm

Quote from dd5339 on Aug 26th, 2012, 7:40am:
Did anyone see that velomobile anywhere out on the course?  He was at the start and then just disappeared, I'm guessing he just smoked the route.

He passed me right at the beginning, then passed me again at around mile 75 (he obviously made a longer stop than I did somewhere).

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Rat Rider
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Aug 26th, 2012, 10:27pm

The velo came screaming into the finish at about 12:30. He looked like an egg. I half expected a pair of pantyhose to emerge...

Metabike Mystique
Lightning Phantom II
CruzRocket indoor recumbent Zwift trainer
Ranger
Dakota

Need dependable wheels?
  IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #18 - Aug 27th, 2012, 7:45am

Lynn and I carpooled up in Dave Rothgeb's van, with another GDB rider.  The drive up was uneventful, we unloaded at the LBC, and went over to the Expo, where we registered, shopped a bit, then went to the HoJo hotel for a very disappointing spaghetti buffet -- won't be going THERE again!!!  We had thought the LBC was doing pizza again...

The LBC continues to get better and better, although they could definitely use some more bathroom stalls...  the A/C didn't freeze us out this year, and the breakfast was very nice.  We rolled out a little after 6AM, picking up Carolyn along the way, then found that they had erected chain link fencing to "corral" the riders at the front area -- and it was quickly obvious that they hadn't left enough room for all the recumbents and tandems!!!  I then discovered I had dropped my sunglasses somewhere, and was not looking forward to the ride without them -- when suddenly Jim right next to me sez "Anybody lose some sunglasses???"  I just hugged him...!!!  THANK YOU!  I talked to various other bentriders in the start area, meeting some new folks and reacquainting with old ones.

Once we started rolling, Dave and I hooked in with Ricky Kiker on his V3-Ti, and cranked along at 20-21mph all the way to Mile 30, with mostly open roads and very few people passing us.  I'm glad we had consulted the map the night before, because the 100K / 100mile split at Mile 14 was NOT very well marked, and I'm sure that some folks went the wrong way than they originally intended....  And the new southwest leg of the 100 mile route kinda sucked, between the long stretch of washboard and the two cattle grate crossings.  However, I DID pick up two of the insulated Camelback bottles along this stretch!!!!

While we were stopped at 30, the big packs started coming by...   We passed the 40 stop, and continued on to Electra, where Dave needed a break due to oncoming leg cramps -- so we hung out there for a while, and finally suggested to Rick that he head out, which he did, wanting to keep a 20mph average (we were just under 19 at that point). Here, we saw a HUGE truck transporting an industrial A/C  system, that was trying to make his way past the rest stop, crawling about 3mph trying not to kill anyone...  bad timing, for sure!!!  

I also saw Kent(?) lying on the ground with an ice pack to his thigh, and his trike on the SAG wagon -- he was done for the day with a pulled muscle.  I also spoke briefly with a Cruzbike rider who was in from North Carolina, which was cool...  then as we were about to leave, I talked to an 80-yr old on a CA2 -- he was done for the day, but had averaged ~18 through 50 miles!!!

The stretch after Electra is always nice, and we had it up to 30 occasionally -- then we turned east into the crosswind, and backed it down.  We passed Mile 60 stop, which was really crowded - then the 100K route rejoined ours at Mile 68, so the Mile 75 stop was a total madhouse - they had run out of food!  We stopped there, and our average had dropped to 18 by this point.

Continuing on, we saw that Margaritaville had moved to just past Burkburnett (yes, very nice streets there!), but we passed it to start the southbound stretch on the service road -- but made a last second decision to pull into the Braum's by the old Hell's Gate point, for some ice cream!!!  Mmmmm....   We then headed south, rolling at 12-13mph into the wind, but passing rider after rider on MTBs, trikes, you name it -- I do love a recumbent into the wind!!!!  the SAG truck was having a field day at this point...  (Jim, you made it to the Mile 90 stop, that's AWESOME!!!)

We cruised through the AFB with a brief stop for water, and just cruised in the last few miles, not trying to push it at all...  My odometer said 97.7 miles at the finish line, with a 17.1 average -- which is actually my slowest HHH other than my very first year, but it had been a conscious decision to ride with Dave at a more casual pace the latter half rather than trying to keep up a particular average, so no big deal.

Overall, the route change sucked, but it was a successfful ride, with no flats or mechanicals, no crashes, $22 worth of water bottles obtained, and a large Shiner beer at the end.  I just wish the HHH jerseys weren't RACE CUT!!!!

Good to see everybody -- I'll have my pics up on photobucket later today.

Paul

« Last Edit: Aug 27th, 2012, 8:24pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
JimFPU
Five Star Member

RBENT member, now in
Virginia.  I miss
Texas!

Reply #19 - Aug 27th, 2012, 8:07am

Thanks Paul, I'm calling it a success.  The biggest reason I SAGed was so Dave wouldn't have to wait another 2 hours for me.  I still had the energy and legs left so that makes me feel good.  My avaerage on that southerly stretch was only 7MPH and I was passing people as well...who woulda thunk it!?  I was averaging about 13-14 before that.  On the northerly portions I averaged about 16-20!  There were many people walking it by the time I got there about 3:30.  My computer showed 7 hours on the move at the 85 mile stop.  I suppose knowing I could have done it if I had my own ride back home makes it all good.  

Next time I WILL steal Rothgeb's bike... Smiley

« Last Edit: Aug 27th, 2012, 8:13am by JimFPU »  

'13 Bluevelo carbon Quest QB 74 - The Flaming Eyeball
'12 ICE Sprint X 26

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_cUvLNb9JJ6UAQkw7KYDQw

Store: https://flaming-eyeball-graphics.square.site
WWW   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #20 - Aug 27th, 2012, 9:22am

Monkeywrangler22
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #21 - Aug 27th, 2012, 10:10am

Hey Paul, you managed to catch Dave #911 in the background of pic#50.  Cool!

The Monkeywrangler's blog
Schlitter Encore
Fisher HKEK - Spec. Roubaix
Seavo - Serenity
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #22 - Aug 27th, 2012, 12:01pm

Quote from dd5339 on Aug 26th, 2012, 7:40am:
The consumer show wasn't quite what I really remembered as it was mostly bike shops at normal retail pricing.  I was looking forward to all the oddball bike stuff that I'd remembered.

You didn't find any oddball stuff? I thought the $5 demo jersey I bought there was pretty oddball.

« Last Edit: Aug 27th, 2012, 12:41pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
jdorlon

rbent member

Reply #23 - Aug 27th, 2012, 1:38pm

I'm surprised to see so many people not happy with the new route.  It was my first HHH, so I have nothing to compare to except other rides, but I thought the route was great!  I did the 100 mile route.    

Sure, there was a cattle guard or two, but it takes what, a 10th of a second to cross over those?  It's just a bump.  Just make sure your bottles are in good before crossing over, and watch out for the people who didn't!

The chipseal was pretty bad while it lasted, but I didn't think it lasted very long, and most of the roads were pretty smooth.  Some of them were very smooth.  Pretty good overall, for Texas roads, IMHO.

And yeah we were straight into the there wind at the end, but that's the price of having it at your back for a while.  I thought the wind was more of a help than a hindrance, overall.

Just my 2 cents.  

« Last Edit: Aug 27th, 2012, 1:56pm by jdorlon »  

John D.
Cruzbike Vendetta 2.0
Cruzbike Silvio 1.5
  IP Logged
testersbc

rbent member

Reply #24 - Aug 27th, 2012, 2:40pm

congratulations JimFPU  you made it further than i would have!!
 Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Rat Rider
Ex Member

Reply #25 - Aug 27th, 2012, 5:48pm

hey Paul,  
cute picture, the description should read something like, "Fat Phred on a bent." In my defense, the pic was taken on Iowa park rd. I was focused on a mandatory nature stop in Iowa Park

the guy on the ti Rans V3 is Ricky Kyker - a buddy of mine from Abilene. I finished at 12:15. The entire time, I thought I would eventually catch up to him. We were separated on Iowa Park Rd. I must have gone by you guys at a rest stop.

« Last Edit: Aug 27th, 2012, 5:49pm by Rat Rider »  

Metabike Mystique
Lightning Phantom II
CruzRocket indoor recumbent Zwift trainer
Ranger
Dakota

Need dependable wheels?
  IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #26 - Aug 27th, 2012, 8:22pm

Ricky was just behind you...   less than a minute after you went by, he passed me with Rothgeb behind him, so we all hooked up together and rode the first 50 together...

« Last Edit: Aug 27th, 2012, 8:26pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #27 - Aug 27th, 2012, 8:29pm

Quote from jdorlon on Aug 27th, 2012, 1:38pm:
I'm surprised to see so many people not happy with the new route.  It was my first HHH, so I have nothing to compare to except other rides, but I thought the route was great!  I did the 100 mile route.  

Just a case of "Good Old Days" oldtimer syndrome, I guess...  It wasn't ridiculously bad, it just wasn't an improvement over the previous route, and certain things were definitely a downgrade...  It's still a wide-open, relatively flat 100 miler with a lot of quality rest stops and staffing!

Paul

« Last Edit: Aug 27th, 2012, 8:29pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

Bud_Bent

Reply #28 - Aug 27th, 2012, 11:02pm

The 25 mph wind was more of a help than a hindrance? Ok, where's my hip boots? It's getting deep here...

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
JimFPU
Five Star Member

RBENT member, now in
Virginia.  I miss
Texas!

Reply #29 - Aug 28th, 2012, 5:58am

Quote from Bud_Bent on Aug 27th, 2012, 11:02pm:
The 25 mph wind was more of a help than a hindrance? Ok, where's my hip boots? It's getting deep here...

No doubt Bud.  As a first timer the wind was definitely not a help.  I suppose you can only raise your hand and save your watch!

'13 Bluevelo carbon Quest QB 74 - The Flaming Eyeball
'12 ICE Sprint X 26

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_cUvLNb9JJ6UAQkw7KYDQw

Store: https://flaming-eyeball-graphics.square.site
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print