Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Oct 12th, 2024, 3:22pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Computers versus smartphones (Read 3831 times)
Phantom Rider
Five Star Member

Computers versus smartphones
Jul 25th, 2012, 8:38pm

I would ike to open a dialogue about the two devices and pros and cons of each.

I have been an avid user of an iPhone using the Endomondo app, it provides gps technology, audio announcements for distance and per mile pace.  Provides a web interface with really good graphical representations of courses and historical ride information.  Sharing of information is very good as you can see friends rides, courses and encourage each other within the app.  As we all know the battery life on a smartphone is a challenge so I carry a battery charger style case to extend the battery life.  As of late the app has stopped  in the middle of my ride(3 times) and I don't realize it until I am finished because the phone is in the bag behind my seat.  

I am considering the purchase of a computer and perhaps a gps based computer and would like The pros and cons of the two devices to help in the decision process.  I like the GPS aspect just because the maps are really good in case you don't know where you are and want to get home and the ability to download courses from other locations and have turn by turn directions.

Your experiences and thoughts are appreciated.  

2017 Cruzbike V20
2019 ICE VTX Black
SOLD - 2011 GT Karakorem 1.0 - 2012 Lightning Phantom II - 2004 Lightning P38 2013 Rans Rifle 2014 Catrike 700 - 2014 Bacchetta CA2
Email   IP Logged
Monkeywrangler22
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Computers versus smartphones
Reply #1 - Jul 25th, 2012, 10:00pm

Endomondo was what we started with.  I have since moved over to Strava and like it a lot better.  I use an app, TrackerBooster on my droid to help ensure gps lock stays.  Your best bet for accurate mapping of your ride, is a dedicated GPS, like a Garmin Edge series unit.  You can upload the data to Strava too, which makes it a bit more fun.

The Monkeywrangler's blog
Schlitter Encore
Fisher HKEK - Spec. Roubaix
Seavo - Serenity
Email   IP Logged
revnron

"I R bent"

Reply #2 - Aug 2nd, 2012, 11:27pm

I've been using Strava since my son-in-law in Mass. said we could follow eachother.  His whole club uses it in Northampton, Mass.  I like some of it's features, but it doesn't offer much life info if you are trying to use it as your ride computer.  I have also used MapMyRide which is pretty good and better live info. I've heard of several others but don't know much about any of them.  I also use a Polar HRM to upload workout data for my health insurance company - gives me a cash rebate.  It's "dead in the water" literally as it leaked when I used it in a pool workout.  O, well.  I use the on-bike computer mostly just for current info now.

I'm considering a bike case for my iPhone 4s that has an external battery.  lately I've been using a backup battery-in-case too.  Any suggestions as to another app? How about a case and sensors?

'87 Infinity
Performance XPR Stiletto
Bacchetta Corsa
Riding 50+ years, I R bent but still going...
Email   IP Logged
Phantom Rider
Five Star Member

Reply #3 - Aug 3rd, 2012, 11:41am

Personally I am a fan of endomondo, I think it provides more the same type info you will see on a garmin edge.  The ability to import and export gpx file is very nice as now you can do other things with the import from your gps device to endomondo if you choose.  I have used may my ride and strava, they all are similar and still have some features others don't provide. I know it sounds crazy but I use endomodo on my iPhone and then export the gpx from it and upload it to strava  because I like some of the reporting. In strava.  several friends use endomondo and it to has the sharing feature of strava.

As to the external battery question I use a mophie external battery charger/case that I like very well, I haven't  ridden long enough to max it out but would expect to get at least 8 hours out of it before drainng it and then you would still have the internal battery.

2017 Cruzbike V20
2019 ICE VTX Black
SOLD - 2011 GT Karakorem 1.0 - 2012 Lightning Phantom II - 2004 Lightning P38 2013 Rans Rifle 2014 Catrike 700 - 2014 Bacchetta CA2
Email   IP Logged
Mizta_Nice

rbent member

Reply #4 - Aug 5th, 2012, 6:09pm

I'm on Strava as well. Has someone created a group for RBENT on that platform yet?

"Slow and steady wins the race" is what all us slow and steady people say when we don't win the race.
WWW   IP Logged
Monkeywrangler22
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #5 - Aug 5th, 2012, 7:15pm

No RBENT group I know of on STRAVA so if you want to make one Mizta, go ahead and post the info/link here.  My Dave is on Strava, as is Jim, and Peggy too.  Lots of bent riders on Strava, mostly in the BF 50+ group or the Bacchetta Riders group.

Schlitter Encore
Seavo - Serenity
Email   IP Logged
jdorlon

rbent member

Reply #6 - Sep 15th, 2012, 10:57am

I use Cyclemeter on my iPhone.   I have tried other apps and this is my favorite   My battery will last about 6 hours while Cyclemeter is running.   I don't have a battery case but I will probably get one for the next season.  I have never had it stop working on me partway through a ride.  

John D.
Cruzbike Vendetta 2.0
Cruzbike Silvio 1.5
  IP Logged
shellbear

Reply #7 - Sep 16th, 2012, 8:49pm

I've been unable to find a computer less expensive than my iPhone that does what I need it to do.  Unfortunately, my iPhone doesn't have enough battery life to last my longer rides (MS150 and the like).  I do like Strava better than the other apps I've tried.

"As soon as you're born you start dying, so you might as well have a good time." -Cake
  IP Logged
Phantom Rider
Five Star Member

Reply #8 - Sep 16th, 2012, 8:52pm

I hear good things about strava and have used it a few times myself.  Have you discovered a way to follow routes in the free version or see a map while riding.  These are the primary reasons I still use endomondo instead of Strava.

2017 Cruzbike V20
2019 ICE VTX Black
Email   IP Logged
LightningRider

P-38 in Blue

Reply #9 - Sep 24th, 2012, 8:35am

+1 for Cycle meter. This app is really nice, self contained, will connect with ANT enabled add on accessories like cadence sensors, heart rete transmitters,etc. It shares via .kml files and uses google maps to display info. You can import routes and compete against friends or against yourself.

It is pretty conservative with battery life as far as apps go but I do have a spare battery reservoir that I can plug in.  It did complete the Tour de Cure metric on one charge with power left over. I keep mine on the handle bar and it will announce average pace average mph, currend mph, ahead/behind best/avg/slowest pace, etc.  Announcements are customizable. I have a post on page 109 of did you ride today thread that has a link to its output.  Or, try here: https://maps.google.com/?q=http://share.abvio.com/55ef/ccc2/4c8c/272f/Cyclemeter -Cycle-20120728-0715.kml < edit > Correcting link < \edit >

The one thing it is currently missing is a good profile feature. The included one is a bit weak. However, there is an active design team behind the app and updates have been fairly regular and worthwhile.

All of this said, I will probably be getting a simple computer mounted if I start doing rando again. I'd have to carry too many spare battery packs for the iPhone for longer rides.

« Last Edit: Sep 25th, 2012, 6:04am by LightningRider »  

Carl
Email   IP Logged
Phantom Rider
Five Star Member

Reply #10 - Sep 24th, 2012, 10:16am

Are the references to cycle meter the free or paid version?

2017 Cruzbike V20
2019 ICE VTX Black
Email   IP Logged
LightningRider

P-38 in Blue

Reply #11 - Sep 24th, 2012, 12:10pm

I am using the paid version. It is the best money I have spent on any app so far. It is easily worth three  or four times the $5 I paid for it. (it also tracks my runs with pace per mile, avg. pace, etc.)

Carl

« Last Edit: Sep 24th, 2012, 3:03pm by LightningRider »  

Carl
Email   IP Logged
lupulo

rbent member

Reply #12 - Sep 24th, 2012, 7:51pm

I looked at different apps for the iPhone, and considered battery usage on the iPhone, and didn't think (even with one of the battery boost cases like the Mophi Juice Pack) that the iPhone would have enough juice.  So I did some research and decided on the Garmin Edge 500.  I've been using it for about a year now, and I've gone on 11 hour rides, and still haven't used more than 50% of the battery, and my phone is still available for phone calls if I need it.

HP Velotechnik Scorpion FS (2011)
  IP Logged
Phantom Rider
Five Star Member

Reply #13 - Oct 7th, 2012, 8:17pm

iPhone rebooted on me again today, I'm about ready to take the plunge on the garmin 800.  Should you have any history, pro or con, please share them.

2017 Cruzbike V20
2019 ICE VTX Black
Email   IP Logged
Monkeywrangler22
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #14 - Oct 10th, 2012, 9:30am

The only real negative to an 800I can think of, is price. I would look instead for a used 705, or a used 305.

Schlitter Encore
Seavo - Serenity
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print