Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 30th, 2024, 11:23am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
60 miler this Friday morning?  (6/29) (Read 4660 times)
JimFPU
Five Star Member

RBENT member, now in
Virginia.  I miss
Texas!

60 miler this Friday morning?  (6/29)
Jun 26th, 2012, 12:52pm

I'm thinking that I want to do about 60 miles before I go to the HHH and do their 66.  I'm off Friday and would like to know of a good fairly level place to ride.  I'm not doing this as a training ride or a speed test, but an endurance test.  I was considering doing like 6 laps at WRL (the path on the lake across the dam, as opposed to the route that is on the roads.)  I was also thinking about the Trinity Trail out and back but have never ridden there.  I just want to go and ride and try 60, would rather not do it alone, and need to know where I can do all this on a relatively flat surface, and if I can do a trail as opposed to roads even better.  Next time I'll do more roads/hills.  Looking at the HHH route (66.13), there is only about 620 +/- climb/descent so it is relatively flat as well.  I know I will be dealing with wind and heat there, but I just need to see if I can do the distance.    

Longest I've gone before is 42, but I've ridden much more since then.  I suppose this is the mental "60 mile hurdle" more than anything.

Anyone up for a slower 60 on Friday morning?

'13 Bluevelo carbon Quest QB 74 - The Flaming Eyeball
'12 ICE Sprint X 26

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_cUvLNb9JJ6UAQkw7KYDQw

Store: https://flaming-eyeball-graphics.square.site
WWW   IP Logged
Monkeywrangler22
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: 60 miler this Friday morning?  (6/29)
Reply #1 - Jun 26th, 2012, 1:18pm

Not on a Friday.  But Aikigreg is doing a ride on Sunday in Ft Worth that I bet you could stretch into 60+.  Much of it is on a trail too.  Or maybe you could get Key out Friday and go ride around Weston/Gunter or over on the east side on the New Hope Road route from the Collin Classic.

The Monkeywrangler's blog
Schlitter Encore
Fisher HKEK - Spec. Roubaix
Seavo - Serenity
Email   IP Logged
freakflyer9999

Reply #2 - Jun 26th, 2012, 1:32pm

Come join Greg's ride on Sunday. About 30 miles is on trail/park roads.

I've never ridden HHH, but I'm told that it is relatively flat and that riding the Trinity Trails is approximately the same.

I too plan on riding a 100k at HHH but the furthest that I've ridden so far is about 42. Not sure whether I will attempt bonus miles before/after Greg's ride, but I was contemplating starting at the Benbrook trailhead and riding to meet Greg, then I would have the option of either finishing the ride with Greg and riding back to my vehicle or simply dropping at the Benbrook trailhead as Greg and company pass it along the way.

Kenny G
Bacchetta Cafe <SOLD>
Terratrike Cruiser
Bacchetta Strada
  IP Logged
JimFPU
Five Star Member

RBENT member, now in
Virginia.  I miss
Texas!

Reply #3 - Jun 26th, 2012, 2:34pm

Sunday's are out for me, at least in the mornings as we attend church as a family.  I have this Friday off due to working a 9/80 work schedule.  (9 days at work: 8 nine hour days, 1 eight hour, 1 off per 2 week pay period.)  That also leaves the weekend open to do family stuff.  

Plus to get up and drive all the way over to Ft. Worth for an 7-8 o'clock start!  Bleh!

'12 ICE Sprint X 26

WWW   IP Logged
JimFPU
Five Star Member

RBENT member, now in
Virginia.  I miss
Texas!

Reply #4 - Jun 26th, 2012, 2:36pm

Quote from freakflyer9999 on Jun 26th, 2012, 1:32pm:
I too plan on riding a 100k at HHH but the furthest that I've ridden so far is about 42.

What bike will you be riding?  I'll look for you there, and maybe we can ride together!  I'm in the 11-13 MPH group.

'12 ICE Sprint X 26

WWW   IP Logged
freakflyer9999

Reply #5 - Jun 26th, 2012, 3:04pm

Quote from JimFPU on Jun 26th, 2012, 2:34pm:
Sunday's are out for me, at least in the mornings as we attend church as a family.  I have this Friday off due to working a 9/80 work schedule.  (9 days at work: 8 nine hour days, 1 eight hour, 1 off per 2 week pay period.)  That also leaves the weekend open to do family stuff.

Plus to get up and drive all the way over to Ft. Worth for an 7-8 o'clock start!  Bleh!

I too work 9/80, but have the opposite Friday off.  

I'm an ordained minister.  I'd be glad to preach while we ride.

Kenny G
Bacchetta Cafe <SOLD>
Terratrike Cruiser
Bacchetta Strada
  IP Logged
JimFPU
Five Star Member

RBENT member, now in
Virginia.  I miss
Texas!

Reply #6 - Jun 26th, 2012, 3:07pm

I can switch Fridays next PP!  Or I can handle preaching too.  Smiley

'12 ICE Sprint X 26

WWW   IP Logged
freakflyer9999

Reply #7 - Jun 26th, 2012, 3:09pm

Quote from JimFPU on Jun 26th, 2012, 2:36pm:
Quote from freakflyer9999 on Jun 26th, 2012, 1:32pm:
I too plan on riding a 100k at HHH but the furthest that I've ridden so far is about 42.

What bike will you be riding?  I'll look for you there, and maybe we can ride together!  I'm in the 11-13 MPH group.

I'll be riding the Bacchetta Strada that I recently bought from SSTEXEX.  I'm averaging about 14-15 around Weatherford, but can keep a 17-18 MPH pace on flat terrain or even faster if I have someone to draft behind.  Last weekend I maintained a 22-24 MPH pedal behind a couple of DFs for about 2 miles.

I was originally planning on riding my Terratrike Cruiser at HHH, but then I found the Strada.  I love the trike but I love going fast too.

Kenny G
Bacchetta Cafe <SOLD>
Terratrike Cruiser
Bacchetta Strada
  IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #8 - Jun 26th, 2012, 4:04pm

Well I WAS gonna say that I could ride with you and create an easy route that'll get you just what you want, but you gotta come down here Smiley.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
JimFPU
Five Star Member

RBENT member, now in
Virginia.  I miss
Texas!

Reply #9 - Jun 26th, 2012, 6:26pm

And I've been down there Greg...its WAY down there for me!

'12 ICE Sprint X 26

WWW   IP Logged
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #10 - Jun 26th, 2012, 7:04pm

Quote from Monkeywrangler22 on Jun 26th, 2012, 1:18pm:
Not on a Friday.  But Aikigreg is doing a ride on Sunday in Ft Worth that I bet you could stretch into 60+.  Much of it is on a trail too.  Or maybe you could get Key out Friday and go ride around Weston/Gunter or over on the east side on the New Hope Road route from the Collin Classic.

I'm at a conference this week.  It's local, but all day until Friday.  I'd really much rather be riding.  Only one more week-long conference this summer.  

"You can't see paradise if you don't pedal!"
T.J. Fowler -- Chicken Run
  IP Logged
mleuck
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #11 - Jun 26th, 2012, 10:15pm

Quote from JimFPU on Jun 26th, 2012, 12:52pm:
I'm thinking that I want to do about 60 miles before I go to the HHH and do their 66.  I'm off Friday and would like to know of a good fairly level place to ride.  I'm not doing this as a training ride or a speed test, but an endurance test.  I was considering doing like 6 laps at WRL (the path on the lake across the dam, as opposed to the route that is on the roads.)  I was also thinking about the Trinity Trail out and back but have never ridden there.  I just want to go and ride and try 60, would rather not do it alone, and need to know where I can do all this on a relatively flat surface, and if I can do a trail as opposed to roads even better.  Next time I'll do more roads/hills.  Looking at the HHH route (66.13), there is only about 620 +/- climb/descent so it is relatively flat as well.  I know I will be dealing with wind and heat there, but I just need to see if I can do the distance.  

Longest I've gone before is 42, but I've ridden much more since then.  I suppose this is the mental "60 mile hurdle" more than anything.

6 laps around WRL will give you about that amount of climb/descent although I avoid the trail on the west side, too many pedestrians and that road is so much fun for the fast stuff

IP Logged
JimFPU
Five Star Member

RBENT member, now in
Virginia.  I miss
Texas!

Reply #12 - Jun 27th, 2012, 6:51am

I've read that there is some construction down there somewhere.  Does anyone have a map of the road route that shows where it is?  Or for that matter what the road path even is?

« Last Edit: Jun 27th, 2012, 6:52am by JimFPU »  

'12 ICE Sprint X 26

WWW   IP Logged
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #13 - Jun 27th, 2012, 6:02pm

Quote from mleuck on Jun 26th, 2012, 10:15pm:
Quote from JimFPU on Jun 26th, 2012, 12:52pm:

6 laps around WRL will give you about that amount of climb/descent although I avoid the trail on the west side, too many pedestrians and that road is so much fun for the fast stuff

Hear, hear!!   Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #14 - Jun 27th, 2012, 6:08pm

Jim,
You know where it is.  You know Tepee Hill?  It's the hill on the west side, close to the boat docks, where the scull rowers are.  Anyway, the road next to the path is it.  No pedestrians to get in the way, the cyclists are fun to pass, nice turns, the whole thing.  Just look up Tepee Hill after you get to WRL in Google Maps, and turn on Street View.  

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print