Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 9:19pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
DNF'd OK Freewheel (Read 2965 times)
TonyWard
Five Star Member

rbent member

DNF'd OK Freewheel
Jun 12th, 2012, 9:48pm

Well my grand adventure didn't turn out like I thought it would.  Threw in the towel after 2 days and 112 miles of riding.  Several factors came into play - mainly back pain which I knew could have been an issue but thought I could manage.  Turned out I wasn't able to manage it with regular breaks or medication like I thought I could.  I'm glad I went - also glad I came home.  In my couple of days out I learned a few things:

• For your first multi-day tour - gradually ease into it if possible.  Try a 2 or 3 day trip before locking into a 8 day trip.  Wish I would have done that first.  Would have made it easier.
  • Riding 60-70 miles a day for several days in a row takes a toll on your body that I had not anticipated.  I have never done back to back days of long rides - should have done this before I went.
  • Never pass up an offer for a free personal sag.  My dad offered beforehand but I turned it down.  I think this could have made a huge difference being able to have a rest day and see how I felt.
  • Spend time getting to know the other riders/locals - this is as much if not more a part of the ride then the actual riding.

Wishing the other RBENTers that are still on the ride a safe and fun trip!!

Here are some of the pics I took from the ride.  I want to go back and try Mt. Scott again - this time not towards the end of an already long day.  I made it about 1/3 of the way up the 2.7 mile - 1,000 ft climb before I decided it was a much better decision to not try to get to the top.

The road goes on forever and the party never ends - Robert Earl Keen
Email   IP Logged
Denman

rbent member

Re: DNF'd OK Freewheel
Reply #1 - Jun 12th, 2012, 10:57pm

Don't feel bad Tony, I blew out my knee last weekend at the CC classic.  Rode 7 miles one-legged, then threw in the towel and took a sag ride.

I think Jay was right, I probably pushed too hard early on.  At least I hope that was it.

Email   IP Logged
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #2 - Jun 12th, 2012, 11:35pm

Well, Tony
Live and learn.  You train well, then beat that ride next year, (remember, this is Texas.  We get right back on that horse.  It's just what we DO).

"You can't see paradise if you don't pedal!"
T.J. Fowler -- Chicken Run
  IP Logged
JimFPU
Five Star Member

RBENT member, now in
Virginia.  I miss
Texas!

Reply #3 - Jun 13th, 2012, 5:47am

Awesome anyway Tony!  I'll agree on the personal SAG.  It was REALLY nice to have a Suburban right behind me and my son on the way home from the CCC.  It made the ride much more enjoyable with the shield there for us knowing that the vehicle behind us wasn't just hanging out there, and we could just ride our ride, and have the safety net of a pickup if it was necessary!  Wonder if she can go to Wichita Falls in August...?   Smiley

'13 Bluevelo carbon Quest QB 74 - The Flaming Eyeball
'12 ICE Sprint X 26

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_cUvLNb9JJ6UAQkw7KYDQw

Store: https://flaming-eyeball-graphics.square.site
WWW   IP Logged
LightningPilot

Reply #4 - Jun 13th, 2012, 7:18am

Nice pics, Tony; sorry you had issues. You'll ace it next year Smiley

Mt. Scott is not easy! Warren and I used to drive up Monday morning, after Hotter, so HE could climb it a couple of times.

Stuff happens; my rear bar end shifter failed on RAGBRAI last year, wouldn't even stay in a gear on a climb with indexing turned off, and one of four seat bolts broke. We zip tied the seat as well as we could, and I ordered Sram twist shifters on my phone, in the hotel, as soon as we got to a wi-fi connection at the end of the ride. I carry an extra set of seat bolts and zip ties on the bike, and we take an extra front wheel, since it is a 20", and about 30 lbs of tools, on the team bus.  

An anti-suck device is essential for my bike for climbing more extreme than our local area. Found that out on my first Leakey Death Ride; one of the first things I put on a bike now. I learn something new on every trip Smiley

Carolyn Trimble
2001 Lightning P38
2005 Lightning P38
2000 Litespeed Ultimate
1988 Hujsak Century
  IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #5 - Jun 13th, 2012, 9:02am

Quote from LightningPilot on Jun 13th, 2012, 7:18am:

Stuff happens; my rear bar end shifter failed on RAGBRAI last year, wouldn't even stay in a gear on a climb with indexing turned off, and one of four seat bolts broke. We zip tied the seat as well as we could, and I ordered Sram twist shifters on my phone, in the hotel, as soon as we got to a wi-fi connection at the end of the ride. I carry an extra set of seat bolts and zip ties on the bike, and we take an extra front wheel, since it is a 20", and about 30 lbs of tools, on the team bus. Smiley

Carolyn, you ever thought about getting rid of that Wal-Mart bike and getting a good one, like a Musashi?   Cheesy

« Last Edit: Jun 13th, 2012, 9:06am by jayg »  
Email   IP Logged
LightningPilot

Reply #6 - Jun 13th, 2012, 1:57pm

Quote from jayg on Jun 13th, 2012, 9:02am:
Quote from LightningPilot on Jun 13th, 2012, 7:18am:

Stuff happens; my rear bar end shifter failed on RAGBRAI last year, wouldn't even stay in a gear on a climb with indexing turned off, and one of four seat bolts broke. We zip tied the seat as well as we could, and I ordered Sram twist shifters on my phone, in the hotel, as soon as we got to a wi-fi connection at the end of the ride. I carry an extra set of seat bolts and zip ties on the bike, and we take an extra front wheel, since it is a 20", and about 30 lbs of tools, on the team bus. Smiley

Carolyn, you ever thought about getting rid of that Wal-Mart bike and getting a good one, like a Musashi?   Cheesy

Actually, I just ordered a new set of wheels from Joe Young for my trusty P38. D T Swiss hubs, spokes and rear rim. The front rim will be Velocity high pressure.  

Jay, you know darn well I got my beautiful bike at RBM Smiley

Carolyn Trimble
2001 Lightning P38
2005 Lightning P38
2000 Litespeed Ultimate
1988 Hujsak Century
  IP Logged
TonyWard
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7 - Jun 13th, 2012, 2:16pm

Quote from JimFPU on Jun 13th, 2012, 5:47am:
Awesome anyway Tony!  I'll agree on the personal SAG.  It was REALLY nice to have a Suburban right behind me and my son on the way home from the CCC.  It made the ride much more enjoyable with the shield there for us knowing that the vehicle behind us wasn't just hanging out there, and we could just ride our ride, and have the safety net of a pickup if it was necessary!  Wonder if she can go to Wichita Falls in August...?   Smiley

One of the big benefits of a sag on this ride was being able to get ice and water when you needed it.  Ride was advertised with rest stops or convenience stores every 10-12 miles so I was thinking it would be like a pay ride.  Apparently that was a big assumption on my part.  Many people went from mile 20 - 50 with no food or water fillup access.  And the water we got - while cold - didn't last that way long  in the 98 degree heat without a way to fillup with ice.  I'm not used to drinking warm water.  I was pretty disappointed in the support/rest stops ( two of which didn't exist).  

In talking with some veteran Freewheel riders they indicated this was easily the worst supported ride in the last 15-20 years they have been doing it.  Hopefully it got better as they went.  There was a new ride director for this year which I am sure played a part in it.  

I would have paid double the fee if they would have set up the rest stops like a pay ride.

« Last Edit: Jun 13th, 2012, 2:19pm by TonyWard »  

Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #8 - Jun 14th, 2012, 7:55am

If the seat on the StratusXP works to eliminate the back pain, it'll make the riding of long distances much more feasible...   Good on ya for taking the chance on the ride!

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
diannalightning
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #9 - Jun 17th, 2012, 5:43pm

I wondered why I didn't see you on the road after that first "fun" day of FreeWheel.  Hope you're ok and not too disappointed.  We were upset about the rest-stops being marked on the map and then not being there.  We also found out that the local towns marked as food stops didn't know how many cyclists were coming thru.  Needless to say, they were overwhelmed trying to get food to everyone.  We lasted for 6 days and threw in the towel.  The rain on day three was fun---lots of lightning but no hail.  I've never been so cold and then so hot in one day.  Anyway, all's well that ends well.  I must admit that RAGBRAI has a WHOLE lot more people, but the towns are about 10 to 15 miles apart so you usually have food and water.  I knew that on Sundays on FreeWheel, the food situtation is always "iffy" so we carried Harvest Bars, and Gu Packs. The other days were a little better with food closer than 52 miles into the ride, but it was still a challenge.  Needless to say, I"m tired.  It was good to see you at the restaurant.

IP Logged
TonyWard
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #10 - Jun 17th, 2012, 5:54pm

Likewise - maybe next time we won't have to go to another state to meet-up.  Hope to see you again soon!

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print