Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Oct 11th, 2024, 4:48pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Euromesh and water botttle cages (Read 2641 times)
Monkeywrangler22
Five Star Member

rbent member

Euromesh and water botttle cages
Jun 11th, 2012, 8:05am

I have the Euromesh seat on my Giro26.  I have a pair of standard-design aluminum bottle cages mounted.  The problem is, one of them is not real secure, even when bent up tight.  The bottle tends to pop out under road vibration and either be lost on the road, or grind itself badly on the rear wheel.  Those nice insulated bottles are too expensive to keep having to replace them, too.  Part of the problem seems to be that with the Euromesh laid back, the bottles are a lot more horizontal than the cage is designed for.

I am wanting recommendations on a better bottle cage.  I run them left and right on the back of the Euromesh.  I have looked at the Specialized side entry "Z" cage for $$, but it would not work on the left side.  I am also looking at the Kleen Kanteen cage designed for 27oz bottles (it's taller/longer than a regular short cage), and has 2 circular bands around it to hold the bottle in place.  Anyone else have any recommendations?  The bottles I use are 24-27oz insulated Polar and Podium bottles.  ( I also run a 100oz bladder in the brain box).  But I like the bottles for mixing gatorade in.

The Monkeywrangler's blog
Schlitter Encore
Fisher HKEK - Spec. Roubaix
Seavo - Serenity
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Re: Euromesh and water botttle cages
Reply #1 - Jun 11th, 2012, 10:18am

If you're like most of us, we pull out as well as up when grabbing bottles.  The aluminum basically bends a fraction every time you do this.  For now you can just bend it back every few rides.  If you get taller bottles you give gravity and road bumps more of a lever to eject the bottles, though you might find a cage that works.  Most any carbon or plastic cage won't bend like the aluminum does.  I find the carbon ones do the best job at retaining bottles, though.  AeroDon, who makes accessories for Bachetta bikes, likes the arundel cages.  Here is his page:

http://ademhr.com/products/daveo.html

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Monkeywrangler22
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #2 - Jun 11th, 2012, 12:52pm

I'm looking at the Arundel Sport (plastic and cost effective for me) currently.  Gee, I could even get yellow ones, and have them match my bike! Smiley  The DaveO cages look nice but are WAAAAY outta my price range.

Schlitter Encore
Seavo - Serenity
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #3 - Jun 11th, 2012, 12:53pm

I've had very good luck with carbon bottle cages on my Corsa. Plastic ones would be a cheaper solution.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #4 - Jun 11th, 2012, 2:04pm

I've had good luck with various historical versions of the specialized cages

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/ftb/waterbottles-cages/cages/ribcageroad-mtb

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
revnron

"I R bent"

Reply #5 - Aug 22nd, 2012, 10:23pm

Two Fish make a bottle designed to clamp on a frame or strut with no braze-ons.  I first used them on my Performance XPS Stiletto clamped on the chain stays in an almost horizontal position- worked well.  Problem was, the Two Fish cages were made of stainless and very heavy.  So I went shopping for lighter ones that would work with the same clamping system. Here's a shot of one on left. The cages are for standard braze-ons, but they fit the rubber grip.  The screw clamp around the chain stay has clear heatshrink around it to keep from scratching the paint. http://i1064.photobucket.com/albums/u379/revnron/Rons%20Bikes/1d990fa6.jpg. O, I also had to put those alum. bars in side to hold the cage on the rubber fitting.  

There may be a better way, but I like it- east to reach, no drops.

'87 Infinity
Performance XPR Stiletto
Bacchetta Corsa
Riding 50+ years, I R bent but still going...
Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #6 - Aug 24th, 2012, 1:58pm

The Specialized cages come for either side; I have a left-side one on the Formula.  I would recommend Trek's old "Bat Cage," but I don't think it's available any more.  It's the best cheap cage I've ever used.  Mike L. sells a heavy aluminum sideways one at Easy Street that doesn't bend so much.  It says Origin 8 on it.  I have it on my Musashi.

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV a
Email   IP Logged
Monkeywrangler22
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7 - Aug 24th, 2012, 3:50pm

I do have a Two Fish strap on cage that gets used on occasion.  Dave snagged me some Specialized RibCages at HHH tradeshow today too.  He thought they might work well on the right side.

Schlitter Encore
Seavo - Serenity
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print