Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Oct 10th, 2024, 6:34pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cheap GPS... (Read 1436 times)
JimFPU
Five Star Member

RBENT member, now in
Virginia.  I miss
Texas!

Cheap GPS...
May 31st, 2012, 9:42am

What is a good inexpensive GPS for biking?  (I know good and inexpensive my not go together, but work with me!)  I don't need it to do much, but holding my phone up for GPS while riding is not fun.  Besides the battery on the phone is terrible for a 5 hour ride...

Also need a computer for Kim's Speed.  Apparently it will have to be wireless or have a very long wire...the one I have does not fit-wire too short.

'13 Bluevelo carbon Quest QB 74 - The Flaming Eyeball
'12 ICE Sprint X 26

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_cUvLNb9JJ6UAQkw7KYDQw

Store: https://flaming-eyeball-graphics.square.site
WWW   IP Logged
freakflyer9999

Re: Cheap GPS...
Reply #1 - May 31st, 2012, 10:26am

My wife and I both have the wired Cateye Strada Cadence on our trikes (Terratrike Cruiser and Catrike Trail).    
Had plenty of wire to mount both.  Actually Easy Street Recumbents mounted the computer on my wife's Catrike while I watched.

Kenny G
Bacchetta Cafe <SOLD>
Terratrike Cruiser
Bacchetta Strada
  IP Logged
Rat Rider
Ex Member

Reply #2 - May 31st, 2012, 11:54am

I scored a Garmin 705 off Ebay. I have been unusually happy with it, almost to the point of dependance.

Mount the wireless on the top tube and it will work just fine.

« Last Edit: May 31st, 2012, 11:55am by Rat Rider »  

Metabike Mystique
Lightning Phantom II
CruzRocket indoor recumbent Zwift trainer
Ranger
Dakota

Need dependable wheels?
  IP Logged
Monkeywrangler22
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - May 31st, 2012, 3:16pm

I have a Cateye Strada on the Giro, and use a Garmin Edge 305 for gps.  It isn't great for a readable map. I use it mostly to log ride data.  If I need to figure out where I am vs where I need to be, I bring up the phone mapping for that.  So far I have found reading a cue sheet difficult between being on a bent, and needing my bifocals for reading any more.  I tend to ride in contacts, so I have limited near vision for reading things, and my cheaters are not the best option either.

Fortunately I normally know where I am riding, so I don't usually need a cue sheet to get around, or the GPS either.  And on Tshirt rides, well, they mark the route well!

The Monkeywrangler's blog
Schlitter Encore
Fisher HKEK - Spec. Roubaix
Seavo - Serenity
Email   IP Logged
dd5339
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #4 - May 31st, 2012, 5:38pm

Jim,

If you are just looking for a GPS for mapping and not getting lost check out the older Garmin Map60 or Etrex series.  On the used market they can be had for pretty reasonable.

If you're wanting to capture ride data, the Garmin Edge 305 are around $150 or so used.  The 705's usually go for $200 or more.

Watch out on the wireless computers, some of the cheaper ones don't have the range necessary for a trike setup.  Ask Lloyd & Terri about that one.  A wired Cateye Strada can be had for around $20, add in a tandem length harness and you should be able to mount that where ever you need to.

Semper Fi

Email   IP Logged
jcsadowski
Five Star Member

Clown #1

Reply #5 - Jun 1st, 2012, 3:52pm

I have a eTrex Vista that I purchased for $100.00  a few years back.

2009 Carbon fiber CA 2.0
2014 Schlitter Encore
Email WWW   IP Logged
testersbc

rbent member

Reply #6 - Jun 1st, 2012, 7:55pm

jim you need to see how we mounted it on my wifes speed..  it might work for you.. you know where we live so swing by!

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print