Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 9:28pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Burleson Honey Tour (Read 3131 times)
Bud_Bent

Burleson Honey Tour
May 26th, 2012, 12:58pm

I rode the 65 mile route of the Burleson Honey Tour this morning. The route had changed a lot this year. It had a new start location, the new Centennial High School off Rendon Road east of I35W in Burleson. The route was considerably different, too, though it still heads south to Alvarado first.

The 65 mile route then makes a loop to the east and back before continuing on south, then turning west through Grandview, then takes the same route as previous years back. There were some short gravel stretches on one of the southbound Johnson County roads, but the rest of the roads were in good shape. Traffic control was better this year, with most intersections covered.

There was a south wind again this year, but it wasn’t nearly as windy as last year. Scattered clouds kept it from getting nearly as hot as last year, too. I saw Greg, Dianna, Dan, and Kenny before the start of the ride. Greg, Dan, and I lined up side by side for the start.

I rode the entire 65 mile route without stopping. I didn’t get to draft much this year. Groups that passed me were too fast for me to hang on with long, and groups that I reeled in were slower than I wanted to ride. But, it was a fun ride and I’m very likely to be back next year. I ended up with 65.7 miles and finished the ride in 3:41, not a bad time for me.

The Burleson Honey Tour 65 mile route.

« Last Edit: May 28th, 2012, 10:10pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
mleuck
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Burleson Honey Tour
Reply #1 - May 26th, 2012, 1:54pm

Hey Bud, what was the total climb on that one?

IP Logged
freakflyer9999

Reply #2 - May 26th, 2012, 6:17pm

Enjoyed meeting the RBenters today Bud, Dan, Greg, Alexis and Dianna.

I did the 28 mile ride on my trike.  Took me just over 3 hours but I finished.  Now I'm on a Tylenol regimen for the rest of the day.  

Kenny G
Bacchetta Cafe <SOLD>
Terratrike Cruiser
Bacchetta Strada
  IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #3 - May 26th, 2012, 9:07pm

I showed up under-rested and overtrained.  I did 30 miles Thursday, 50 yesterday, and I ended up cutting today's ride off a little bit.  On the first hill my calves protested mightily and my quads turned to jello.  Bud took off like he has a can of NOS attached to his behind.  Which, come to think about it, he often does.  (insert Fartacus smiley here).  Even having shortened my route, Bud STILL caught and blew by me.  

Stayed right behind Dan for a long time, then he and I pacelined together for a long while and blasted past a lot of roadies.  Once I stopped around mile 30 I never saw him again.  He was doing great on that Mushashi.   Kenny it was really nice meeting you as well.

Alexis rode the full 47 miler, completing her longest multi-rider ride since RAGBRAI.    I was very proud of her.  She apparently rode with Dianne and a couple on bent tandem for a while.  

I re-hydrated Alexis, and we came home, showered, napped for a few hours, and went out for a nice Mediterranean dinner, Spanish guitar on the patio, and a glass of Chianti.  Getting ready to watch a movie.  All in all a perfect day.

Tale of the tape:  56.56 miles, 138 average HR and max of 155 (which is how I know I'm overtrained_.  Not to mention my low power.  154 watts normalized power.  15.8 average.

2549 feet of climbing, Mark.  

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
dhansen

rbent member

Reply #4 - May 27th, 2012, 1:37am

It was a fun ride, and good to meet people face-to-face. 4 hours 9 minutes. Had a blast talking and riding with Greg and Bud. Although it was only talking with Bud because after the start I never saw him again. Been riding the Baron for the last two months but decided to ride the Musashi yesterday - might have to stick with the Musashi until I can get the Baron upgraded. I enjoyed pace lining with Greg and his Carbent, that is one nice bike! Pace lining with another bent is a blast! With the power meter he has on the Carbent his effort is incredibly consistent - I might have to try one of those.

Email WWW   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #5 - May 27th, 2012, 3:59pm

Dan, I hope you choose to come ride with us more often.  I'll have to organize another RBENT event soon, but let us know if you're planning on attending anything in the area this summer.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #7 - May 28th, 2012, 12:44pm

Quote from mleuck on May 26th, 2012, 1:54pm:

My Garmin showed 1900 feet, so it's not a seriously hilly ride.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #8 - May 28th, 2012, 1:13pm

Weird.  Alexis' showed 2158 for her 47 mils, and mine 2549 for 57.  Either way, still not very hilly.  

Quote from Bud_Bent on May 28th, 2012, 12:44pm:
Quote from mleuck on May 26th, 2012, 1:54pm:

My Garmin showed 1900 feet, so it's not a seriously hilly ride.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
diannalightning
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #9 - May 28th, 2012, 6:34pm

It was good seeing Bud and Dan at the start.  I recognized Alexis at the first rest stop and we caught each other during the ride.  It was a good ride and a jump start for training for FreeWheel.  I may not have been that hilly, but I'm sure glad they took us out into the wind on the start so it was at our backs coming back.  Good times!!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print