Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Oct 10th, 2024, 2:19pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Blackburn 3.3 Voyager VS Niterider Minewt 600 (Read 1954 times)
kingjason

rbent member

Blackburn 3.3 Voyager VS Niterider Minewt 600
May 24th, 2012, 2:49am

Ok for all you guys that ride at night or early morning what kind of lights do you use? My first ride a few months back was no light and that was iffy at best just poking along. Second ride I strapped a flashlight to my helmet and it actually gave off enough light to kinda make out the edges of what I was looking at but still horrible. Then I bought a blackburn voyager kit from the bike shop. Ehhh the headlight made the ride a tad better and the tail light was great but still left a lot to be desired. Rode with it one night, it was raining, and the visibilty was terrible so I ordered the Niterider 600 when I got home. Got my Niterider set up on my helmet and all I can say is wow. I could ride on high or low and have plenty of light. I got it off Ebay for 99.00 shipped so not a bad deal at all. Comes with the charger, helmet and bike mount. I am going to put the hard mount on my Strada tonight and see how it does on a recumbent. I have been cheating on my Strada with a 7.5 FX. The Strada has been on my new trainer and I will say an hour on the trainer is more of a workout then a hour on the street.  

Blackburn 3.3 kit 30 bucks or so. It does a hair better then the camera shows but not much. I couldn't believe all the positive reviews it got online for commuting unless they are riding fairly well lit roads.

Niterider 600 for 99.00

The other one. Shhhhh don't tell my Strada.

« Last Edit: May 24th, 2012, 2:57am by kingjason »  
Email   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Re: Blackburn 3.3 Voyager VS Niterider Minewt 600
Reply #1 - May 24th, 2012, 3:13pm

maybe you got one with a dud LED.  That looks unusable!

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
kingjason

rbent member

Reply #2 - May 24th, 2012, 5:56pm

Quote from Kwijybow on May 24th, 2012, 3:13pm:
maybe you got one with a dud LED.  That looks unusable!

It helps a little more than that picture shows. For just tooling around at low speeds it will illuminate the trail a tad, just not a usable amount at speed. I would have to say it would be even worse on a recumbent.  I will say this about the new light, it is a bit freaky seeing all the critters eyeballing you at night.  

After hours of searching for comparisons I found this jewel of a site. Very nice testing.

http://eddys.com/articles/how-bright-is-that-light-ig493/

« Last Edit: May 24th, 2012, 5:59pm by kingjason »  
Email   IP Logged
kingjason

rbent member

Reply #3 - May 25th, 2012, 4:56am

Put it on the Strada tonight and it worked fairly well. No issues riding with it other then it wanted to dip a little after hitting some rough spots in the trail. I think I fixed that problem after I re snapped it to the mount the second time.  It was really good on the forward mount and pretty terrible on my helmet. The helmet mount is fantastic on the Trek FX but not to good on the recumbent. It illuminates to much of your legs and the bike, not to mention it renders your mirror useless.

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print