Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Oct 11th, 2024, 12:23pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
650c wheel recommendations (Read 3797 times)
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

650c wheel recommendations
May 23rd, 2012, 8:05am

I've had a set of 559 Velocity Thracians for about 5 years now, that started out as an upgrade on my old StratusXP, and were then transferred to my Xstream26.  They're still holding up nicely, but I'm thinking strongly about going to 650s on the XS for summer / faster riding.

It's probably opening up a can of worms, but what recommendations do the racing/rando/fast recumbent masses have to offer, for a 650c wheelset where the rear loading is probably 180 pounds, but won't break the bank?  I'll probably run Terry Tellus 28mm tires...

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Monkeywrangler22
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: 650c wheel recommendations
Reply #1 - May 23rd, 2012, 8:16am

IIRC there is a really nice set for sale on the Bacchetta forums...someone selling 650's to pay for RAAM I think.

The Monkeywrangler's blog
Schlitter Encore
Fisher HKEK - Spec. Roubaix
Seavo - Serenity
Email   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #2 - May 23rd, 2012, 8:43am

I've always been happy with Velocity Rims, the Deep V are especially stout, and pretty Aero to boot.  Also had a set Uriels on the Corsa that I put well over 10,000 miles on.  The hub flange broke and was repaired no questions asked, but I never had any issues with the rims.  For my 20" wheel sets, and my 650B wheelset the Aeroheats have been great, so very happy Velocity Rim / wheelset customer.

Take Care,
Nelson.

P.S.

Joey over at Rockwall Cycling is a great wheelbuilder!

« Last Edit: May 23rd, 2012, 8:43am by Kwijybow »  

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
freakflyer9999

Reply #3 - May 23rd, 2012, 8:47am

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on May 23rd, 2012, 8:05am:
a 650c wheelset where the rear loading is probably 180 pounds, but won't break the bank?

This brings up a point that I've been wondering about since I bought the Strada from sstexex.  I weigh 225 lbs now, but I can't find any specs that list weight limits for the various wheelsets.  I have the ALX320Tri 650c wheelset.

Kenny G
Bacchetta Cafe <SOLD>
Terratrike Cruiser
Bacchetta Strada
  IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #4 - May 23rd, 2012, 10:54am

Velocity wheels are often your best bets for strength and value, IMO.  I dunno if they make the A23 wheel in 650c, or what your price range is, but I think it would be ideal.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #5 - May 23rd, 2012, 11:15am

Quote from aikigreg on May 23rd, 2012, 10:54am:
Velocity wheels are often your best bets for strength and value, IMO.  

I agree. I love the 28 spoke Nuvian and Helios wheels, but you might need a bit higher spoke count.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
TonyWard
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #6 - May 23rd, 2012, 12:21pm

I'm not saying that these are the wheels to buy but they are the ones I have been running on the Corsa since the beginning of last season.  http://shop.bacchettabikes.com/parts/wheels/alex-320-dx-tri-wheel-set-650c.html

I got them for a reasonable price of a CA2 owner.  Surprisingly enough my fat rear end hasn't broken them at all. Haven't had them trued either though Jay did tweak the spoke tension a couple of weeks ago.  I'm surpised with only 20 spokes on the back end.

I might be interested in trying to switch wheels out with you for a ride if your 559s will fit in my front fork if you wanted to try them out on a little.  I have been thinking of getting a set of 559s.

The road goes on forever and the party never ends - Robert Earl Keen
Email   IP Logged
Rat Rider
Ex Member

Reply #7 - May 23rd, 2012, 1:32pm

How much benefit do you anticipate from the upgrade? I question if it isn't negligible. Obviously, the 1/2" in diameter is something, but do you think it will make a noticeable difference?

Metabike Mystique
Lightning Phantom II
CruzRocket indoor recumbent Zwift trainer
Ranger
Dakota

Need dependable wheels?
  IP Logged
johnnybent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #8 - May 23rd, 2012, 3:57pm

After busting two rims in two years, Eric at RBM laced in a velocity fusion with round spokes. When asked about weight limits, he said I should'nt have to worry at 200 I'm at now. So far so good.

Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #9 - May 24th, 2012, 7:59am

Quote from Rat Rider on May 23rd, 2012, 1:32pm:
How much benefit do you anticipate from the upgrade? I question if it isn't negligible. Obviously, the 1/2" in diameter is something, but do you think it will make a noticeable difference?

I'm anticipating 2-3 mph at the top end, getting me back to a 35-36mph flat sprint spinout, but also thinking a somewhat lighter wheelset will aid acceleration and climbing a bit.  Not a huge difference overall, really, since most of my group riding is in the 17-22mph range -- but it might help me keep up with the Popsicle Ride and the Rockwall fast group.

So would losing 10 pounds...  I know, I know...   Smiley

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
spudman1

rbent member

Reply #10 - Aug 8th, 2012, 7:16pm

My Xstream came with a Uriel on the back and something else on front.(can't remember) I like the wheel although I have no other frame of reference. I bought some terry tellus tires after reading rat rider's review but I'm running conti gp's on it now. I'm thinking about putting a tellus on the Uriel and leaving the  skinny tire on front. Maybe I should mention that in a separate thread. I like the Uriel wheel though and would recommend it.

I wanted to add that I had thracians on my SXP and was happy with those wheels too. It's hard to compare thracians on the SXP with 650s on the Xstream because the Xstream is just plain faster.

« Last Edit: Aug 8th, 2012, 7:27pm by spudman1 »  
  IP Logged
LightningPilot

Reply #11 - Aug 10th, 2012, 8:03am

IMHO, hubs are just as important as rims. My HS Uriels came with noname hubs and that was the first part to fail.

Carolyn Trimble
2001 Lightning P38
2005 Lightning P38
2000 Litespeed Ultimate
1988 Hujsak Century
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print