Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Oct 10th, 2024, 10:15am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Open Cockpit Baron (Read 1394 times)
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Open Cockpit Baron
May 13th, 2012, 9:36pm

Since the Baron didn't sell last month, I under took some changes I wanted to make and put a little money into fixing it up.  Switched to the Optima Open Cockpit bars and tiller, and in the process had to change out all the cabling.  So also decided to can the original Magura Julie hydraulic brakes, and put some Avid BB7's on there.  

Wow what a transformation!  The Baron has gone from twitchy (to me) to stable and smooth, gotten much easier to get on/off, and now is much easier to maneuver while off the bike.  Only downside of my changes is I have to rethink my rear rack as the rear BB7 and the rack post want to occupy the same space.

Next up, Schwalbe Kojaks, and I think I'm adding the full Terracycle idler kit, as the dropped chain is also a pain when wheeling the bike into and out of the office for commuting.

Take Care,
Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Re: Open Cockpit Baron
Reply #1 - May 14th, 2012, 10:58pm

tweaked on the baron tonight, soldered the cable ends, fitted the rack back, put on Zefal spy mirrors, tuned up the derailleurs, now ready for a commute tomorrow.  Will take a picture in the morning.  The Optima bars are much wider that the Bacchetta bars I'm used to.  Need to look for a smaller, more curved seat.  Not wild about the stock Large Optima seat.  

--Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Re: Open Cockpit Baron
Reply #2 - May 15th, 2012, 7:35am

Hee, hee...  I looked on the Optima website, and found this description among others about "fast racing people":

"Waow! Mark Leuck from Texas, where the bearded beer drinkers and hell raisers ride heavy motorcycles, rides a heavy Baron. A Baron Elite pimped with Aerospokes and all that matters for a fast bike. "

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print