Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Oct 10th, 2024, 6:24am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Clipless shoes (Read 3089 times)
JimFPU
Five Star Member

RBENT member, now in
Virginia.  I miss
Texas!

Clipless shoes
Apr 16th, 2012, 1:37pm

OK, are they a placebo or is there really something to all the 'science' out there on cycling shoes?  Is it just another holiday to sell a card thing?  I've read a ton of the 'science' stuff for cycling shoes, but I'd like to get some real feedback for those that rode with tennies all your life then made a switch.  Did it really help?

'13 Bluevelo carbon Quest QB 74 - The Flaming Eyeball
'12 ICE Sprint X 26

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_cUvLNb9JJ6UAQkw7KYDQw

Store: https://flaming-eyeball-graphics.square.site
WWW   IP Logged
Monkeywrangler22
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Clipless shoes
Reply #1 - Apr 16th, 2012, 2:11pm

Yeah they really do help.  It makes it possible to pull up, on the upstroke.  You also put more poewr to the drivetrail when you go over the top or pull back (12-3 & 6-9) because your feet don't slip off.

What size shoes do you wear Jim?  Dave has a set of Keen Commuter spd sandals he's willing to sell.

The Monkeywrangler's blog
Schlitter Encore
Fisher HKEK - Spec. Roubaix
Seavo - Serenity
Email   IP Logged
JimFPU
Five Star Member

RBENT member, now in
Virginia.  I miss
Texas!

Reply #2 - Apr 16th, 2012, 2:44pm

It would appear I'm a 48.  12.5 US.

'12 ICE Sprint X 26

WWW   IP Logged
Monkeywrangler22
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - Apr 16th, 2012, 3:20pm

The Keens Dave has are 12.0 but you are welcome to try them on if you like.

The Monkeywrangler's blog
Schlitter Encore
Fisher HKEK - Spec. Roubaix
Seavo - Serenity
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #4 - Apr 16th, 2012, 3:47pm

I'd recommend them, even on the SXP...  there's no danger of "leg suck" without them, since there's no crossbar to trap your leg, but being clipped in does help your pedaling efficiency, especially when you're climbing!!!!   Just get a version that are easy to twist out of, and keep the spring tension loose...

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #5 - Apr 16th, 2012, 3:59pm

If you learn to use toe clips, it will introduce you to one aspect of clipless pedals: You feel more secure on your bike.  You don't realize how much of the time you spend trying to keep your feet in the proper place on the pedals until you learn to ride with them secured.  And if you hit a bump and have your feet come off the pedals, well, tou know how that can hurt!  Also, it makes you ready for clipless because it is almost impossible to adjust toe clips so they don't hurt your feet.  Smiley

Bike shoes have a very stiff sole.  This allows all your pedal pushing to go directly through the sole to the pedal, instead of being wasted in deforming the shoe.  It also allows you to relax the feet when pushing.  Many riders who complain of foot pain and cramps on longer rides are trying to grab the pedals with their toes, monkey-like, even through the shoes.  I know I struggled to train myself out of that.  The combination of confidence and efficiency going clipless should add one to two mph to your average speed.  Also, we who have adopted them enjoy the spectacle of the novice clipless user.   Smiley

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV a
Email   IP Logged
JimFPU
Five Star Member

RBENT member, now in
Virginia.  I miss
Texas!

Reply #6 - Apr 16th, 2012, 6:28pm

Quote from rmillay on Apr 16th, 2012, 3:59pm:
Also, we who hve adopted them enjoy the spectacle of the novice clipless user.   Smiley

Ah yes, nothing like the truth... Smiley

Used to use toe clips a lot, but felt constricted because I couldn't just pop out easily.  Todays ride I really paid attention to what was happening on the peddals...wow I really didn't realize how much I was working to keep my feet where they needed to be!  I already have the peddals (thanks to the generosity of JayG) I'll have to get the shoes...

'12 ICE Sprint X 26

WWW   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7 - Apr 16th, 2012, 7:17pm

Quote from rmillay on Apr 16th, 2012, 3:59pm:
If you learn to use toe clips, it will introduce you to one aspect of clipless pedals: You feel more secure on your bike.  You don't realize how much of the time you spend trying to keep your feet in the proper place on the pedals until you learn to ride with them secured.  And if you hit a bump and have your feet come off the pedals, well, tou know how that can hurt!  Also, it makes you ready for clipless because it is almost impossible to adjust toe clips so they don't hurt your feet.  Smiley

Bike shoes have a very stiff sole.  This allows all your pedal pushing to go directly through the sole to the pedal, instead of being wasted in deforming the shoe.  It also allows you to relax the feet when pushing.  Many riders who complain of foot pain and cramps on longer rides are trying to grab the pedals with their toes, monkey-like, even through the shoes.  I know I struggled to train myself out of that.  The combination of confidence and efficiency going clipless should add one to two mph to your average speed.  Also, we who have adopted them enjoy the spectacle of the novice clipless user.   Smiley

Heck, some of us experienced riders are still entertaining our fellow riders by falling over clipped in. Raise your hand if you are one of them. I'm raising my hand, how about you, Bob?  Cheesy  

Email   IP Logged
JimFPU
Five Star Member

RBENT member, now in
Virginia.  I miss
Texas!

Reply #8 - Apr 16th, 2012, 9:05pm

So did you give me those peddles for some sort sick inside joke...I will not have the camera out.... Smiley

'12 ICE Sprint X 26

WWW   IP Logged
Tiger_Mike

rbent member

Reply #9 - Apr 16th, 2012, 9:06pm

I was a rookie last year, now I'm a novice....My favorite fall was one that no one saw....I'd been really careful the whole 12 mile ride, I was tense but everything went great. As I rolled up to the garage at home I was all relaxed and confident, and casually unclipped my left foot as I braked to a stop....Only trouble was I forgot to lean to the left...so at 0 mph I gracefully toppled over on my right side flailing around with my left foot to no effect. Nothing damaged but my pride!  Cheesy

P38
Rans XStream
Rans V2
Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #10 - Apr 16th, 2012, 9:14pm

Quote from JimFPU on Apr 16th, 2012, 9:05pm:
So did you give me those peddles for some sort sick inside joke...I will not have the camera out.... Smiley

Key has all kinds of cameras. He'll catch the action.  Cheesy

Email   IP Logged
JimFPU
Five Star Member

RBENT member, now in
Virginia.  I miss
Texas!

Reply #11 - Apr 16th, 2012, 9:35pm

Quote from Tiger_Mike on Apr 16th, 2012, 9:06pm:
I was a rookie last year, now I'm a novice....My favorite fall was one that no one saw....I'd been really careful the whole 12 mile ride, I was tense but everything went great. As I rolled up to the garage at home I was all relaxed and confident, and casually unclipped my left foot as I braked to a stop....Only trouble was I forgot to lean to the left...so at 0 mph I gracefully toppled over on my right side flailing around with my left foot to no effect. Nothing damaged but my pride!  Cheesy

LOL!  That sounds like my very first 'bent commute.  I lived in IL, and was only 5 miles from work.  The old Infinity was working just fine and I felt great!  Good roads in combination with bike paths allowed me to cruise to work without stopping for about 4 and a quarter miles.  Finally had to stop at the light right before the big hill climb to work.  Put on the brakes, put my foot down...and my leg just didn't seem to work!  I fell right over at the light and almost couldn't get up!  That's when i realized what was meant by 'bent legs... Smiley  good thing it was about 6:45 in the morning...no one was around!

« Last Edit: Apr 16th, 2012, 9:37pm by JimFPU »  

'12 ICE Sprint X 26

WWW   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #12 - Apr 17th, 2012, 7:16pm

The last time I failed to unclip was on my Madone.  I sailed up the ramp to the patio of the kwikie-mart in Venus and took out my left foot to stop.  The bike, however, saw the pillar to the left and shied, so I fell over on my right side.  There were several witnesses, but to their credit, there was not a snicker among them. embarrassed

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV a
Email   IP Logged
JimFPU
Five Star Member

RBENT member, now in
Virginia.  I miss
Texas!

Reply #13 - Apr 20th, 2012, 3:30pm

Tried out the Frog Speedplays today with the Keen sandals...what on earth was I so worried about!?  It's going to take some getting used to and maybe some minor adjustments but no locking in, no falling over, EASY to un-clip.  Now it will just be ptice to make it second nature.  Feels a bit funny on the placement, but it's as far backas it can go.  So fortunately so far no clip in falls.  Just have to remember to get out in time to stop, but they feel funny enough right now that I will be paying attention to them more for a while.  Seems to be a slight twisting motion when peddling but maybe I didn't notice that movement before since I wasn't clipped on.  I suppose your foot moves a lot more than you realize.  Soon we'll see what it does to my riding cadence/speed.  

Thanks to all those that helped out with this endeavour.

« Last Edit: Apr 20th, 2012, 3:33pm by JimFPU »  

'12 ICE Sprint X 26

WWW   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #14 - Apr 29th, 2012, 3:02pm

It'll become second nature...  but at least if you forget and fall over, you don't have that far to fall!!!

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print