Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 9:23pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Heart of the south race report (Read 1621 times)
Pedalin` Peggy

rbent member

Heart of the south race report
Apr 2nd, 2012, 9:00pm

Heart of the South
Steve and I  chose our races this year very carefuly. We wanted to do only events that didn't require  a support crew or follow  vehicle
HOS is one of my personal favoroite races. It's a very challenging 200 miles race with just under 12,000 if climbing . It's a beautful ride. The 21 mile scenic byway(half way point) in the Talledega National forest( begins a mile 96) has 4 sharp, steep climbs (that really hurt ) all on the way to Mount Cheaha (tallest point in Alabama), a 3 mile climb at 8-9% grade climb. The sharp climbs really take the steam out of the body (and for those that have done either the 500/200 mile route previously, the chip seal on the scenic byway was much worse this year than previous years). Most will agree the 4 steep, sharp climbs are harder than climbing Cheaha itself.
There are 3 climbs near the finish of the route that really get your attention as well (as you can tell, climbing is the theme of the HOS route).  
Now to the race report:
Steve and I went into this event with different goals from our coach. Steve was to ride it  as tempo pace for him, I was to pace myself, also a tempo ride. The morning was warm with heavy fog, the roads were wet from the overnight rains . It was a small group of 200 racers. We started at 5am.The group rolled out togther at a comfatable pace. One rider went off the front early ,  not be cought  the rest of thel day. Steve stayed with the main pack. Before the first time station myself and two other guys had formed a small group. I rode the rest of the day with Greg &David fromPA. This was there first ultra race and longest ride ever.
The heavy fog din't burn off until around mid morning. When it burned off, the sun & humidity made it very hot. What little wind there was a tailwind up the scenic byway/Cheaha.  I knew Steve would be keeping pace by leap froging with the other riders. Because we didn't have personal support, we would have to stop at the time stations and fill our bottles.  Steve had a goal that he had set for himself.  I knew he would give it his all.  
Greg,David and myself were riding strong . As we approched the Cheaha climb ,I told them that we would be climbing this differently,as I was going to need to conserve energy. As it was now very hot and humid. I told them I would hope to catch up to the later. So I worked up the climb slow and strady. As I reached the top, there was Greg and David waiting for me. So I made a very quick stop and off we went.  
Steve and I had planned for me to text him when I reached the last time Station and he was to text me when he was done. I arrived at the last TS at 3PM,   a little later I hear my phone beep and I knew Steve had finised. After leaving the last TS we still had about  55 miles to go and 3 more good climbs left.  
Greg and David's goal had been to finish before dark. My personal Goal was to finish in 13-13:30 hours and finsh strong. I'm on target for my goal. As we made a turn the car traffic (from the Birmingham Indy race) picked up and I got separated from the guys. I decided it was time to power in to the finsh. But as I reached the last turn with only a couple of miles to go ,  I deciced that I should do the right thing(rando thing ) and ride in with Greg and David. They had waited for me and I wanted to see them in to there first ultra race finish. I was not going to set an course recordes any way. This was a race for a personal best.  
Steve had finished with a great ride, coming in 3rd one mintue out of second. with a  time of 11:54 (11:36 bike time).  I finshed with 13:48- 2 hours and 18 minutes faster then last year.
The one thing I would say is if you want to win events like this, a support crew is a great advantage, we perfer (our personal choice) to self crew. For us, its a win,win.
I love this event!!!! Thanks Tom Robertshaw (HOS race director).
A big thanks to coach Kellie for getting us ready!!!!

'07 Strada
  IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Re: Heart of the south race report
Reply #1 - Apr 2nd, 2012, 9:53pm

Great job, y'all!

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
catroad254

rbent member

Reply #2 - Apr 3rd, 2012, 6:08am

Good report and a great effort!

No deer encounters this year?

Email   IP Logged
Pedalin` Peggy

rbent member

Reply #3 - Apr 3rd, 2012, 7:16am

No I didn't get lost or have any deer problems. Someone said it was because I finished before dusk.  
Next year I will ride it with a tougher goal. This year I just waited to ride it well and be strong at the end and I did. I was able to push hard the last hour. ( my power numbers look as good the last hour as my first couple of hours.)

This is a great ride, even if your not a (racer) this is a good ride. I think you have 17 hours to get it done in.

'07 Strada
  IP Logged
diannalightning
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #4 - Apr 3rd, 2012, 4:30pm

I'm just happy to see you on the forum again.  I was beginning to worry that you and Steve had moved or something.  Good job on the ride.

IP Logged
Pedalin` Peggy

rbent member

Reply #5 - Apr 5th, 2012, 8:59pm

Thansk Diannalighting, It been a while, We been just riding,working. All the normal stuff. Are you palning on goin up to HHH this year?

'07 Strada
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print