Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 9:26pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
First brevet in the books! (Read 1729 times)
dd5339
Five Star Member

rbent member

First brevet in the books!
Apr 1st, 2012, 8:29am

Saturday the Lone Star Randonneurs hosted their Fleas and Trees brevet out of Canton Texas.

I had the not so bright idea of signing up for the 200K to see if I could push my previous best distance, (107 miles, 20+ years ago). Little did I know my motto for the days ride was going to be, "Embrace the Suck!"

The day started out absolutely beautiful, nice temperatures, a very light breeze, (rare for around here). One of those days that really can't get much better. Little did I know that since the weather was so nice, something else was bound to go south.

I was riding with a group of folks who are well above my pay grade, there was a collections of serious K hounds, Dan D, Scary Gary, Square Corners, Sharon, Vickie, Michele and others who had accumulated some serious miles. It was nice to get the chance to meet them and eyeball their bikes and gear as they went merrily heading toward Louisiana at a high rate of speed.

My day started going south about mile 25 when my rear tire flatted, Square Corners stopped to assist a bit. I pulled the offending tire, swept the inside, checked the outside, swept the rim and didn't see anything, so I put a new tube in and headed out. Hindsight being 20/20 I should have brought my reading glasses. One tiny little shard of metal that only poked through the tire and into my tube when I was on the bike would cause me no end of problems from mile 25 to mile 109. Four tube changes and numerous stops to air up that danged tire later, a pair of guardian angels from Trinity Bicycles in Fort Worth showed up and were able to eyeball the root cause the problem.

My Garmin had to get into the problem child act as well as the start/stop button got bumped into stop when I fixed my first flat, which I didn't notice till the turnaround in Gilmer.

And since I was so irritated at my tire, I let my nutrition/hydration plan slip by the wayside. As a type II diabetic, this was not such a good idea. I seem to have survived however.

So despite the problems and my own danged stupidity, I finished. Ride time was 08:28 with a 14.7 avg. Total time was right at 12 hours.

Semper Fi

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: First brevet in the books!
Reply #1 - Apr 1st, 2012, 2:41pm

I'll piggy back on Dave's writeup, since I did the PLUS version of his ride . . .
We started with very warm conditions for the time of year, starting and ending at 67° with a spike to 91° during the day, once the storm clouds passed. There was rain visible from the threatening clouds, but fortunately, none fell on us. By the time we left Gilmer, 62 miles out, the sky rapidly cleared and we were left with mostly sun, a few scattered clouds, and very high humidity. With the passage of the front, there was wind from the southwest, but the pines block most of the wind - we mostly felt it on the last segment of our ride, from Mineola to Canton.

This out and back course starts in Canton and goes all the way out to Vivian Louisiana, about 60 miles NW of Shreveport. Major towns we pass through: Mineola, Gilmer, Jefferson, plus crossing the dam of Lake of the Pines - a very scenic area.  

The name of the route: Fleas refers to the flea markets Canton is famous for; Trees refers to the piney woods most of the route travels through.  
Elevation gain: the first half of the ride has slightly less climbing than the 2nd half. This is because when traveling to that part of Louisiana, you lose about 500 ft of elevation, vs the start point. Vivian is near the northern extremity of Caddo Lake, which lies at about 160 ft elevation. There are so many climbs and descents, though, that you would never notice that you had net climbing on the second half.  

The route breaks down into 5 sections, based on climbing. First section is Canton to Mineola - 27 miles of mostly easy riding with long stretches of flattish ground interspersed with easy climbing - no hill greater than 8% but most in the 5% range.  
Mineola to Gilmer: innumerable giant rollers, most offering up 8% gradient but a few as much as 10%. While these gradients are not terribly steep, it is the sheer number of rollers that makes this 35 mile section a real bear to complete.  
Gilmer to Jefferson: Climbing is the name of the game in this section but giant rollers do not predominate. Here, it is long steep climbs and steep descents but not every climb is answered with a descent. Gradients in this section are mostly 9% with a few under and a few over.  
Jefferson to state line: 22 miles with more climbing than I remembered from last year, fortunately none greater than 4% and most at 3%. By this time though, fatigue has set in and the climbs, while not steep, tend to wear on you as well.  
Stateline to Vivian: 5 miles, no hills, great smooth pavement, and cross the north end of Caddo Lake, with its mysterious, spooky Big Cypress swamp, black water, and the expectation of seeing alligators ready to pounce (in reality, I've never seen one there, but they do exist!).  

Then we turn around and do it all over again, in reverse!
miles: 252.6; climb: 9768; AVS: 14.9; MXS: 38; elapsed time: 20:45

Email   IP Logged
JimFPU
Five Star Member

RBENT member, now in
Virginia.  I miss
Texas!

Reply #2 - Apr 2nd, 2012, 8:14am

Holy cow you guys...you're riding 12 -20 hours!! Smiley  I'm so out of my league here... Smiley

'13 Bluevelo carbon Quest QB 74 - The Flaming Eyeball
'12 ICE Sprint X 26

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_cUvLNb9JJ6UAQkw7KYDQw

Store: https://flaming-eyeball-graphics.square.site
WWW   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #3 - Apr 2nd, 2012, 5:42pm

You have to work up gradually.  Also, it doesn't hurt to join a club full of crazy people!  Shocked

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV a
Email   IP Logged
dd5339
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #4 - Apr 2nd, 2012, 9:54pm

Quote from rmillay on Apr 2nd, 2012, 5:42pm:
You have to work up gradually.  Also, it doesn't hurt to join a club full of crazy people!  Shocked

Crazy is right!  Those folks do crazy big time!  Nice to meet people crazier than I am.  I'm already thinking hmm, just when is that next brevet?  Call me crazy also I guess!

Semper Fi

Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #5 - Apr 2nd, 2012, 9:57pm

Good job getting the first brevet done. I tend to only ride the ones close to home for me, but maybe I'll see you on one of these eventually.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
AustinSkater

Reply #6 - Apr 3rd, 2012, 5:34am

Quote from dd5339 on Apr 2nd, 2012, 9:54pm:
Quote from rmillay on Apr 2nd, 2012, 5:42pm:

Crazy is right!  Those folks do crazy big time!  Nice to meet people crazier than I am.  I'm already thinking hmm, just when is that next brevet?  Call me crazy also I guess!

Semper Fi

Looks like in this case it's Uncle Sam's Misguided Cyclist.  Be very care of LSR, or Dan will have you racing the Tejas 500 in the fall  Grin

Bryan
---------------------------
Shellene's is yellow, mine is too.
  IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #7 - Apr 3rd, 2012, 5:58pm

Not to mention the next Stampede 1200k!  Roll Eyes

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV a
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print