Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Sep 28th, 2024, 9:15pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
RIDE ATAXIA DALLAS 2012 (Read 889 times)
texpug
Five Star Member

rbent member

RIDE ATAXIA DALLAS 2012
Mar 24th, 2012, 9:16pm

What a fantastic time at RAD today!!! Great weather, great facilities, great people. I have some photos of Team Easy Street at the ride, but  *sigh* don't get me started on posting photos.  

Team Easy Street raised $400 for Ataxia research from donations, not to mention all our entry frees (we had 20 on the team!!!!). It is a truly fantastic cause and event.  

So good to see all my old and new friends! I have GOT to stop talking so much -- I got exactly TWO MILES ridden today!!!! HELP! I'M TALKING AND I CAN'T SHUT UP!!!! But hey I can ride any time -- can't visit with my great friends often!  

If it is worth anything -- the two miles I rode were GREAT!!! ha ha ha ha  Lots of the team did the 50 mile route and 25 mile route. Hopefully they can report.  

A fantastic time!!!

Catrike 700
Catrike Speed
Terra Trike Tandem Pro IPS
  IP Logged
Monkeywrangler22
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: RIDE ATAXIA DALLAS 2012
Reply #1 - Mar 25th, 2012, 9:02am

This was a GREAT ride!  I had a blast, and it was great meeting everyone!  I plan on doing this ride again, al,though next year I will send Dave instead, so he can enjoy the ride.  Maybe I will do the 6mi loop and bring all 3 Monkeys even!  They're sort of up to a 6mi route, if you don't mind them crashing a dozen time each...

I have a few meager pics to share:
Shellbear & John

Ken & Jayg

Rest stop 1

Rest stop 2

Ken & John in front of me

The Monkeywrangler's blog
Schlitter Encore
Fisher HKEK - Spec. Roubaix
Seavo - Serenity
Email   IP Logged
Denman

rbent member

Reply #2 - Mar 25th, 2012, 9:23am

We barely made the start arriving just as the 25 mile pack was leaving.  Caught the tail end of an accident on 380 where they held traffic for about 15 minutes.  Just missed getting to the turn off at Bonnie Brae where they held traffic to let the 8:00 flood of bikes past.  No matter, the trikes were ready to roll as were we, so we joined at the back of the pack on the way out.

Air density was perfect.  Pressure was high, humidity low, temperature was cool.  Relative Air Density (RAD) was about 135%.  In simple terms, the human body gets more oxygen with every breath when RAD is high.  We set a new record average speed of 15.1 MPH.  Since my wife has only had her Expedition for a few weeks, I let her set the pace.  Our top speeds were a bit over 33 MPH; could have probably done a bit better except that we were pulling up on a couple slower bikes and didn't want to sweep over onto the road to pass.

On part of the way I rode next to Kyle for a mile or two and chatted a bit; quite an impressive man in a special way.

Had a few chores at home to take care of so we didn't hang around too long after the lunch.  But after the chores were done, got the MTN bikes down, did a tune up and took about a 4 mile test ride.  Its really strange trying to ride an upright after being spoiled with a proper riding machine like a Catrike.....

Email   IP Logged
Monkeywrangler22
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - Mar 25th, 2012, 9:28am

Sorry I missed seeing you Denman!  I was right behind the ambulance that was first on scene at that wreck.  Looked like some other RAD riders stopped to assist before the EMTs showed up, as I saw a 4Runner with 2 bikes on back.  I was 2nd car thru the crash scene, before traffic controls were set up.  Lucky me I guess, as none of the extensive debris field caused me any flats on the van!

The Monkeywrangler's blog
Schlitter Encore
Fisher HKEK - Spec. Roubaix
Seavo - Serenity
Email   IP Logged
shellbear

Reply #4 - Mar 25th, 2012, 12:24pm

I had the most awesome time!  I dare say this was my favorite ride EVER, which is saying a lot because I've done a lot of pay rides in my 11 years of riding.  Perfect weather, great route (some chipseal but not a ton), the halfway rest stop (on the 50 mile route) was totally awesome, and the food and beer at the end were fantastic.  Of course I also got to see all my Catrike and other recumbent friends.  A good time was had by all!  Smiley

"As soon as you're born you start dying, so you might as well have a good time." -Cake
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print