Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Oct 10th, 2024, 12:21am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bikes and Gearing (Read 2537 times)
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Bikes and Gearing
Mar 8th, 2012, 9:37am

There's been some discussion of gearing, gear-inches, doubles, and triple cranks, etc. associated with going on hillier rides...  Thought it might be a good thread to create.

Here is a good article on gearing needs when doing climbing, although it's from a "DF" point of view...  it starts out from a layman's understanding, and gets into the math later...

http://www.kenkifer.com/bikepages/touring/gears.htm

The page also has some VERY nice links on the right side to follow to other pages about gearing...

Paul

« Last Edit: Mar 8th, 2012, 9:42am by FlyingLaZBoy »  

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
shellbear

Re: Bikes and Gearing
Reply #1 - Mar 8th, 2012, 10:52am

This made the engineer in me happy.  Wink  Now I MUST become a gearing nerd so I can figure out what I need on my MUsashi!  Ha ha.  Thanks for the resource!

« Last Edit: Mar 8th, 2012, 10:53am by shellbear »  

"As soon as you're born you start dying, so you might as well have a good time." -Cake
  IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #2 - Mar 8th, 2012, 11:30am

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Mar 8th, 2012, 9:37am:
There's been some discussion of gearing, gear-inches, doubles, and triple cranks, etc. associated with going on hillier rides...  Thought it might be a good thread to create.

Here is a good article on gearing needs when doing climbing, although it's from a "DF" point of view...  it starts out from a layman's understanding, and gets into the math later...

http://www.kenkifer.com/bikepages/touring/gears.htm

The page also has some VERY nice links on the right side to follow to other pages about gearing...

Paul

Thanks, Paul. Interesting article. Article recommends pedaling downhill to help remove toxins from legs, before attacking next hill. Now, if those pesky roadies would just get out of the way.........  Smiley

Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #3 - Mar 8th, 2012, 12:14pm

I don't know if we have many hills of a size to worry about pedaling downhill (spoils a perfectly good coast,) but coming down from the mountains in Colorado, I can attest to my legs seeming to go 'dead' after just a few minutes of coasting.

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV a
Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #4 - Mar 8th, 2012, 1:07pm

Quote from rmillay on Mar 8th, 2012, 12:14pm:
I don't know if we have many hills of a size to worry about pedaling downhill (spoils a perfectly good coast,) but coming down from the mountains in Colorado, I can attest to my legs seeming to go 'dead' after just a few minutes of coasting.

I almost always pedal downhill, particularly on rollers. I used that technique effectively on hilly rides when my Musashi had the stock compact crankset and 11/32 cassette.    

Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #5 - Mar 8th, 2012, 11:07pm

I have to pedal on the downhills to catch up with everyone who dropped me on the uphill...

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
LightningPilot

Reply #6 - Mar 9th, 2012, 6:12am

Quote from jayg on Mar 8th, 2012, 1:07pm:
Quote from rmillay on Mar 8th, 2012, 12:14pm:

I almost always pedal downhill, particularly on rollers. I used that technique effectively on hilly rides when my Musashi had the stock compact crankset and 11/32 cassette.    

I always work the downhills on rollers because, in most cases, you top the next crest with very little loss of speed. Rollers are our (bents) friends Smiley

Carolyn Trimble
2001 Lightning P38
2005 Lightning P38
2000 Litespeed Ultimate
1988 Hujsak Century
  IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #7 - Mar 9th, 2012, 3:17pm

Good ol' Sheldon Brown's gear calculator page has always been a favorite of mine - it'll give you gear inches, meters development, or speed at RPM for a wide range of conditions...  http://sheldonbrown.com/gears/

If I use a 1" tire for a 559, a 650, and a 700 wheel, it gives the following speeds at either 100 or 120 RPM

100 RPM         120 RPM

559 wheel         33.7              40.5

650 wheel         34.4              41.3

700 wheel         37.1              44.5

Of course, I would imagine that even Sheldon's calculator has to use "theoretical diameter" numbers for wheel/tire figures, not taking into effect the fact that you compress a tire a few tenths of an inch when you apply rider weight.

The southbound part of the HOT Hwy130 ride allowed me to crank up to max speed (i.e., 'spinout'), given the slight downhill grade and the tailwind...  My Xstream26 has 559 wheels with 1.1" Duranos, and a 52:11 high gear combo.  I topped out at 38mph...  650 wheels would have added another ~1 mph to that, and 700s would have been zoom-zoom!!!

« Last Edit: Mar 9th, 2012, 3:34pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #8 - Mar 15th, 2012, 8:06am

And as Opus pointed out in the Lancaster Rally thread, I've been thinking 'Gear-inch" and "Development" were the same thing all these years...   Alas, no!  Smiley

FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #9 - Mar 15th, 2012, 8:13am

Quote from LightningPilot on Mar 9th, 2012, 6:12am:

I always work the downhills on rollers because, in most cases, you top the next crest with very little loss of speed. Rollers are our (bents) friends Smiley

That was one aspect of the old TTTT course -- while the climbing on the front half was long and gradual, the back-half hills were often ones that you could carry some speed up if you wanted to.  Not so much, on the new TTTT course!  And of course, the last ~5 miles were a semi-pleasant mostly-downhill run -- i.e., "When you reach The Retreat, you've got it beat!"

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print